Help

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi Roy, I need a little more information.. I've got your weight and height and how many breaks you get; what are you fasting and post prandial readings, what meds are you on? How active are you in your job and are you exercising currently at all? How many calories are you currently taking in on average a day, and lastly where would you like your weight and blood glucose readings to be?

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you,I'm really starting to realise how poor my food choices are,who would have thought cheese was better than grapes☺
Must say I have not tested Grapes, I do have berries. Black Blue Rasp or 1/2 an apple with yogurt and single cream to thin, Sprinkle with Granola & Flaxseed. Or eggs, poached scrambled omelette, fried. with mushroom & bacon. Maybe with 1 slice toast

Main meals , max is 1/2 a jacket potato, a few chips. Lots of fresh fish Cod, Plaice, salmon, mackerel, trout, you can get the latter 2 for say £1.50 each.
All the veg (lots of it especially cauliflower), which grows above the ground plus swede mashed with butter & pepper or celeriac. All the meats chicken lamb steak pork and now eat all the fat.

Sometimes do a fried, onions red green & yellow peppers and mushrooms, chopped bacon fried and stirred in, along with say chicken breast cut to strips. when cooked stir in a massive dollop of Helaman's mayonnaise. We used to have this with pasta, we have removed the pasta and it tastes just the same.

Just keep reducing the carbs & testing the foods you eat takes abit of time at first but it get easier as you start to know. what affects you.

Neil

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @roym0762 , welcome.

Lots of good advice above, you may also find the links in my sig of interest.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you,I'm really starting to realise how poor my food choices are,who would have thought cheese was better than grapes☺
Roymo don't think of it as your food choices being poor because for years we have been led to believe that 'all fat is bad and all fruit is good' which, in the normal scheme of things, is probably correct. However we have a condition that turns this theory onto it's head and we have to think the opposite. People at work have been commenting on my weight loss and ask me what diet I'm on - they seem quite bemused when I tell them that all I've done is cut down on my carbs inc bread and potatoes, stopped eating most fruit except berries and ditched low fat for full fat inc milk, yoghurt and butter. Re the snacks if you have access to a fridge and like Greek yogurt do what I do which is the night before take some frozen berries and zap them in the microwave for a minute or two until they are mushy, put them in a container and then add them to your yoghurt when you want to eat it. I also have chocolate coated rice cakes ( gasps from other forum members) however I have tested them 3 times and can eat them OK but many diabetics will not be able to due to the carb content.

Reactions: 4 people

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Roy, welcome to the forum. I am only diagnosed Type 2 for three months and am approx the same height and weight as you so I understand a bit how you are feeling. As others have said a test meter and strips are vital as it is the only way you can find out which foods raise your blood sugars a lot and which don't. I got a meter less than two weeks ago and fruit, as others have said, is the most surprising thing that makes my blood sugars very high, except berries. Potatoes, rice, pasta and bread are big culprits for me too. Have a look at the threads called 'what did you eat today?', ' Lunchbox Ideas', 'Packed Lunches' and 'Low Carb Recipes'. You could make your own trail mix by mixing your favourite nuts and seeds together and put it in a ziplock bag for easy portability. Slices of cold meat, peeled hard boiled eggs, small tins of fish with ring top pull lids and coleslaw (full fat) are all portable. Consider doing a big batch cook on one of your days off and make use of your freezer so that you have plenty of eating options on working days. Little tubs of sugar free jelly are good if, like me, you have a sweet tooth. Good luck and keep in touch with us here.

Reactions: 2 people

roym0762

Hi Roy, I need a little more information.. I've got your weight and height and how many breaks you get; what are you fasting and post prandial readings, what meds are you on? How active are you in your job and are you exercising currently at all? How many calories are you currently taking in on average a day, and lastly where would you like your weight and blood glucose readings to be?

Hi,not currently testing as I don't have a meter.so unsure of my readings.
I'm on 4×500mg metformin,due to a genetic condition I'm also on a Rosuvastatin,plus a daily asprin.

Calories wise,again unsure but way more than I should be,I want to be down to about 10 St.my work is fairly physical but exercise few and far between.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,not currently testing as I don't have a meter.so unsure of my readings.
I'm on 4×500mg metformin,due to a genetic condition I'm also on a Rosuvastatin,plus a daily asprin.

Calories wise,again unsure but way more than I should be,I want to be down to about 10 St.my work is fairly physical but exercise few and far between.
Hi Just following a Low Carb High Fat, and the high fat it is not drinking it, it is merely having bacon, meat and eating the fat. Having butter instead of spreads and having cheese. All the items we have been told not to eat for years.

Cut out the Bread Pasta Rice Pastry root vegs.

Cutting the carbs and eating the fat you will not want as much. The fact is Carbs & fat per gram are more or less the same in calories but you fill up on fat very quickly and therefore eat less.
Get the book CARBS & CALS dead easy to read 1700 photos of food helpings telling you how many carbs & calories in each portion.

Youll be surprised where all the calories come from

Neil

Reactions: 3 people

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Hi again Roy, thanks for the more detailed reply..I'm going to be a little tough on you here, don't take it as me being mean it's here to help you to help yourself.. First off.. Your original post States "I'm 44.5'3 and 13St,I just want to control my blood sugar and get healthy so I see my kids grow up" you just told me you don't know what your blood sugar is because you don't have a meter.. You can take charge and you can take control back. You have the very best motivator in the world to do this.. Your kids! So, first on the menu is to get your self a meter and test.. Meters are free on this very site, you may need to tell a slight porky pie that you're on insulin but 2 weeks later the post man will deliver an item that will put you back in the driving seat.. They come with 25 test strips on average enough to get you through a few weeks.. You'll want your fasting reading a 2.5 hr post prandial read and a bed time read.. This data is vital, if you know what you're up against you know what medical intervention if any is needed and you'll have a goal to work towards ie fasting read of 4.4 post prandial of 6.9.. Next you need to keep a food diary and see just how many calories you are consuming a day currently. Your body needs 1700 per day.. That's your basal metabolic rate to stay exactly as you are. Understand how many you take in now compared to this so you can see on paper the change you need to make. So fast forward a few weeks, you have your sugar readings you're taking control now let's add the right fuel at the right calorific value and the right intervals and the result will be the weight loss you desire. I'd set a goal of 1200-1300 calories a day giving you a calorie deficit of Around 500 calories a day or 3500 per week.. Old studies will tell you this will equate to 1lb a week weight loss.. There have been numerous studies to disprove this equation but it's still a great place to start with a tweak.. You're going to work to the following split 10% carb 30% fats 60% protein and a good amount of fibre too. Supplement with beroca daily and chromium.. Have your doc check your b12 levels too, you're on metformin so it will take a hit.. Beroca will help with this.. At this point I'm gonna stall Ray.. Mainly as I'm typing this on my phone and really should have used the desk top.. Start with this, there will be more to follow in terms of meal plan but Keep us posted with your progress. Take the power back!
Cheers

roym0762

Thank you for your advice,ill take it on board,I know major changes are needed in my life.I take B 12 tablets as well as recommend by my local chemist.