Blood in Cannula - usual causes

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First time this has happened to me.

Changed the cannula yesterday after a run, no discomfort putting it in or since.

Went for another run at lunchtime today and after getting out of the shower noticed the top of the connector looking red. Again no discomfort but I changed it again anyway for good practice.

What's the usual cause of this or is it one of those things.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that like MDI injections, every once in a while you get unlucky and hit a larger blood vessel.

Other causes are the cannula pulling out or moving around or other wound at the insertion site. It's definitely a good idea to change the cannula right away and move to a new site some distance from the bleeding one to let it heal

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks @Spiker that's pretty much what I thought, but I',m of limited experience with the pump

iHs

Cant say that Ive ever had this myself using the Flexlink Plus sets when I had the Combo so not sure whst has caused the blood to appear like it has.....maybe exercise running might make blood get thinner due to getting hot and some to travel to the set adhesive or maybe the set was knocked accidentally....