To pump or not to pump...

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
That's good to know! I will let you know how I get on! Thanks again! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Okay, I spoke to my DSN yesterday and told her I want to try the new Accu-Chek Insight. She said the rep is coming over in June so I'll have to wait a couple of months.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've also been injecting for quite a lot of years now, and have *just* started on a pump (almost a week ago now :) )
Mine is an omnipod and I have to say that so far, I LOVE it.
I currently have it on the back of my arm and honestly, 90% of the time, I don't notice it's there at all. I can feel the cannula when I actually bolus, but that's pretty much it.
I am also a pretty messy sleeper, but, again, I've barely even noticed it in the night.
i chose the omnipod because I do quite a lot of (non contact) sport and training, so I wanted something that was waterproof and wouldn't get in the way. So far, it is definitely both of those things :)

Reactions: 4 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I thought I would love the Omnipod but I just didn't click with it. Probably just got a duff pod but the alarm went off & woke my husband and I up early hours of the morning, it didn't stick down properly from the very start and when I went to pull the little bit of adhesive that had got stuck under the end with the cannula I somehow managed to dislodge the cannula which was very painful and then had to remove the whole pod which would have been very wasteful if it had contained insulin. :( I didnt mind the Animas Vibe but would prefer something with a handset which is why I'm going to wait to try out the new Accu-Chek Insight. :) I'm glad you are getting on well with the Omnipod! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've also been injecting for quite a lot of years now, and have *just* started on a pump (almost a week ago now :) )
Mine is an omnipod and I have to say that so far, I LOVE it.
I currently have it on the back of my arm and honestly, 90% of the time, I don't notice it's there at all. I can feel the cannula when I actually bolus, but that's pretty much it.
I am also a pretty messy sleeper, but, again, I've barely even noticed it in the night.
i chose the omnipod because I do quite a lot of (non contact) sport and training, so I wanted something that was waterproof and wouldn't get in the way. So far, it is definitely both of those things :)

I forget its there too :)

Pleased you like the Omnipod pump, not many of us on the forum use this pump so its good to hear from people who do.

marktype1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad blood sugars, not being able to eat chocolate fudge cake.
Im really considering getting a pump. The Omipod looks great, is this available on NHS or do you have to buy one? If so, where are they available to purchase? I think the pump is probably the way forward by what I have heard and I am actually excited to possibly get one!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Im really considering getting a pump. The Omipod looks great, is this available on NHS or do you have to buy one? If so, where are they available to purchase? I think the pump is probably the way forward by what I have heard and I am actually excited to possibly get one!
On NHS.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was asked what type I 'd like to try. Did you look each one up separately? Can someone also tell me what site gives carbs for food ?i am currently using booklet from Daphne course but generally have to work out from packets. Or guess if eating out.sometimes resulting in need fr correction later.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Get the myfitnesspal app..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Carbs n cals book is good. A pocket size one is available.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was asked what type I 'd like to try. Did you look each one up separately? Can someone also tell me what site gives carbs for food ?i am currently using booklet from Daphne course but generally have to work out from packets. Or guess if eating out.sometimes resulting in need fr correction later.

As said Carbs & Cals is good as a visual guide to carb counting, but for a good comprehensive list of foods you can't beat the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As said Carbs & Cals is good as a visual guide to carb counting, but for a good comprehensive list of foods you can't beat the Calorie Carb & Fat Bible.

Hi @noblehead, I haven't asked how it is going for you? tbh, I am seriously thinking about moving toward pumping, but it does scare me a little, as I know you were a long time injector too ? Just something that has been on my mind lately.

Best wishes to all of you new and older pumpers and those thinking about it.

Best wishes RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @noblehead, I haven't asked how it is going for you? tbh, I am seriously thinking about moving toward pumping, but it does scare me a little, as I know you were a long time injector too ? Just something that has been on my mind lately.

Best wishes to all of you new and older pumpers and those thinking about it.

Best wishes RRB

Thanks for asking RRB :)

Its going really great, I love pumping insulin and my bg control has been fantastic over the last few weeks after nailing down my basal rates, got 5 separate rates going at the moment and if I don't eat my bg levels hardly move, another plus is I can have a lie-in on a weekend and not wake to high bg levels, on MDI I would have to get up around 6.30 otherwise my bg would start to climb.

Except for a couple of pod failures (although I'm not certain if I've located them in areas where I've had injection site problems before) all is good with the pump.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have the Carbs and Cals book too and have downloaded the app to my smartphone (Android system) which is fantastic as I don't have to take the book around with me everywhere. :)

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Get the myfitnesspal app..
Having used my fitness ap b4 hols managed to lose some weight too. As found carbs in almost everything so reduced amounts. Trying to reduce my carbs to less than half. What do people eat to feel full having had T1 for 48 years. Now due to change to pump. I drive for work so can't risk hypos.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Quinoa is FAB stuff, cook the same as you would rice. Keeps your sugars lovely and stable for longer. :) I like to have some protein like ham & cheese sometimes if I feel peckish but don't want to upset my levels, obviously cheese has a lot of calories in though so I don't have too much!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
if I don't eat my bg levels hardly move,
Me too!
another plus is I can have a lie-in on a weekend and not wake to high bg levels, on MDI I would have to get up around 6.30 otherwise my bg would start to climb.
I recently realised this is one of the things about the pump I might regret if I went back to MDI. Never having worry about missing basal when out late, staying at a friend's, hung over, having a lie in, etc. Freedom from worry and having a ****** blood sugar day.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I don't eat ,eg before an /op nil by mouth only had 1/2 lantus in morning by mid day Bg was 22mmols! I can never lay in, or it takes most of day to reduce Bg. Hopefully when I get to try pump approx May/ June I will have less of a struggle with unexplained high Bg ( although may be stress related) . Hope to do less adjustment doses to keep my hba1 at approx 8.2.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me too!

I recently realised this is one of the things about the pump I might regret if I went back to MDI. Never having worry about missing basal when out late, staying at a friend's, hung over, having a lie in, etc. Freedom from worry and having a ****** blood sugar day.

If you went back to MDI?...but...why would you do that? :0

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Going to speak with the doc tomorrow morning and the DSN's about going on the Animas Vibe pump (I loved the Dexcom SO much when I trialled it that I now know the Animas Vibe is for me! :)). Can't wait... SO excited!! I keep getting butterflies in my tummy whenever I think about it! Haha! :)