I took myself to A&E

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I read what was typed, but I have witnessed, in the past, some misunderstandings of low carb and how it works. I'm not disbelieving anything anyone says, just looking for clarification.l

Thanks for you input.

I think with readings this high and always over 10. Diet won't be the primary treatment here. I'm not saying it won't help, but it's not going to help on it's own.

and it's a pleasure.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi All, so I wasn't well at all it takes a lot for me to call an ambulance myself. Totally pointless I was told that they are not worried that my bg levels were so high they weren't reading. I was given a box of antibiotics for an infection I apparently have, even though they did all the tests they could including exrays and didn't find anything let alone an infection. And sent me home. So my levels are still high and I'm at a complete loose of what to do now.

Hi @mand56 , just popped in to see how you are today? Hope we hear from you soon, as you are in our thoughts. Take care RRB x

Reactions: 2 people

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like fruit with natural yogurt for breakfast or scrambled eggs and bacon. I make a vegetable broth or soups for lunch or dinner and I'm into salads again either lunch or dinner.
But I eat loads of fruit and veg I stay away from carbs. Sometimes I eat granary bread but not often.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like fruit with natural yogurt for breakfast or scrambled eggs and bacon. I make a vegetable broth or soups for lunch or dinner and I'm into salads again either lunch or dinner.
But I eat loads of fruit and veg I stay away from carbs. Sometimes I eat granary bread but not often.

Fruit won't keep your blood glucose in the 30s, but it can cause it to spike high. Fruit is sugar.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thank you all for you messages. My doctor still wants to keep trying tabs & still maintains there are lots of others we can try before insulin. I'm going to see my diabetic nurse and see what she thinks. I don't know what else to do I feel so unwell & I'm sleeping a lot I feel like I'm going to pass out all the time and feel weak with no energy.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thank you all for you messages. My doctor still wants to keep trying tabs & still maintains there are lots of others we can try before insulin. I'm going to see my diabetic nurse and see what she thinks. I don't know what else to do I feel so unwell & I'm sleeping a lot I feel like I'm going to pass out all the time and feel weak with no energy.

You could see what impact stopping grains (bread), and fruit has on your finger prick tests.

I'm not saying it's the complete answer, but surely anything that helps you feel better has to be worth a go?

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absolutely I'm willing to try anything fruit and grains are a small sacrifice if it helps.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi,

This must be so frustrating for you!

Thanks for the menu. What sort of fruit are you eating, and are the veg root veg?
Sorry to ask for clarification, but sometimes people experience disproportionately raised BG with certain foods. With me, it is wheat. Sends me ridiculously high!

Can I ask what your before and after meal readings are? (Just before eating and 2 hours later).

It may well be that you do need insulin or more meds, but diet plays such a large part... We have several type 1s who post here who find LC is very beneficial for them, even when using insulin.

Edited to add: simultaneous posting! Great minds... ;)

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely I'm willing to try anything fruit and grains are a small sacrifice if it helps.

I think if you have the attitude "Whatever it takes" you'll do just fine in the end! Just stay on top of your medical team until you're happy and they're happy with exactly which type you are.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@mand56 - any chance you can get some Ketostix from a chemist to test for ketones? Hi BG and ketones is a medical emergency.

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can. Would they have tested for that when I was at A&E?

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When they did the finger pick test I remember they did 2 different types. But wasn't really with it at the time does anyone know what else that could be for?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When they did the finger pick test I remember they did 2 different types. But wasn't really with it at the time does anyone know what else that could be for?
One of those could have been for ketones

mand56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor told me that having those levels are only dangerous if they stay that high for a long time. What is a long time? my levels have been HI for 9 days and haven't moved from double figures from when I found out in Oct that I had diabetes. I was put straight on metformin then I had a blood test 3 months later and was told it hadn't worked at all. Then my gp added Gliclazide

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I echo all what's been said on here mand 56, but above all check and monitor any ketones very closely. I speak from experience you do not want to develop ketoacidosis.:arghh: Take care x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think you need to take tough line with your GP. I'd like to know what this long list of alternative tablets consists of. I've been thru the same route having Metformin (pointless is you aren't overweight), full dose 320 gm Gliclazide and Sitagliptin. Beyond these there isn't much without undesirable side effects. My GP also said insulin was a last resort and panicked a year later when my HBa1C rocketed up and offered me it. It is the right solution if you are a late onset T1 with high sugars, which you probably are, and has no side effects. 9 days on Hi is unacceptable. Go back to A&E if this continues and the GP doesn't offer a sensible solution. May be this time they will give you insulin which would force the GPs hand. Also, ask the GP for GAD and c-peptide blood tests. He may be like my two diabetes GPs who aren't aware of Late onset T1 (LADA). In the meantime keep the carbs very low, have plenty of water and get some Ketostix. If you feel really unwell go straight to A&E.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh this is madness. A reading of HI for 9 days means the BG has been above 32 for that time. This can cause sudden catastrophic events such as strokes and heart attack - never mind the long term damage. This is almost certainly LADA and even if it isn't, a short course of insulin will at least normalise BG and give the body a break. Go straight back to a&e and refuse to leave until your BG is under 13. Make it clear in a calm but loud way that you will sue the NHS if they do not take this issue seriously immediately. Insist on speaking to whoever is in charge and explain firmly that your BG levels are potentially life-threatening and need urgent attention.

Smidge