Multi wave on insight pump.

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have gone on to the insight pump this week and most things have been going well.
My dsn told me that if you have a meal that requires more than 6 units of insulin you should put it on a multi wave setting.
When you programme the pump it asks how much you want immediately and how long you want the multi wave to last for.
When I asked how you work this out my dsn told me that it was down to guess work and trial and error.
Over the last two days my guess work hasn't been too great! For lunch I had a tin of soup and two slices of bread. I tried 30% up front with the rest over a two hour period. When I checked my sugar two hours later it was 24.
Can anyone tell me if there is a tried and tested method for the multi wave. Maybe my carb insulin ratio is also slightly out but my dsn was happy with most of my readings so asked me to continue with these over the weekend.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't of used multi wave for that meal. Too low fat. Really high fat meals need multi wave as they are much slower to digest. Doing this for high fat meals stops the high sugar levels 4-6 hours after eating and as they do require an immediate bolus , having the full dose at the start usually results in a hypo as the insulin peaks before your body has digested the meal properly.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, when I have used multi wave I need a minimum of 80% at the start.