Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
Hi Jack. I'm seeing the nurse. Do I take it you are seeing your GP every 14 days? I had my bloods done as I started - and have another form to go again - but I need 1 week for the results to get back to the surgery.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not doing ND, I'm on LCHF, I've dropped 13kg and plateaued.
ask nurse but but that should be ok, they get the result in a couple of days, if they want you in quicker than that, they'd call.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see why you might need regular checks - even on the LCHF. 13kg is a great result.
no,,I get my 3 month checks and I see the dr as and when other times...we generally don't have nurses here and they can't prescribe medication. Only a large practice would have a blood nurse and dressings.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As long as you are looked after you don't mind whether it's a large practice or small.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
no,,I get my 3 month checks and I see the dr as and when other times...we generally don't have nurses here and they can't prescribe medication. Only a large practice would have a blood nurse and dressings.
Ok - guess I'm pretty luck then. Our practice has prescribing nurses - and we get regular diabetic checks including feet (circulation) & bloods - and eye checks.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am chasing my surgery for eye test for 6 months now and they don't even bother replying
why would the surgery do eye checks? they wouldn't have the equipment would they?
first is generally an optometrist for eye checks and glasses...the dr or optometrist refer to ophthalmologist here.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I believe you can have a test done at most opticians and our local university also offers free eye screening. Our local NHS service moves around the county and sets up in temporary locations (community centres, offices etc) and we get called in. It is really a great service and we are looked after. But the point of being on the ND is to see if I can be taken off all meds and checks - so that these services can be used by people who genuinely need them - not by people like me who MAY be able to avoid using them:nurse:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am chasing my surgery for eye test for 6 months now and they don't even bother replying

My surgery has a mobile clinic come to do the annual retinopathy checks for all its patients, in May. I was away last year, so I called the ophthalmology unit at the mobile base (major hospital), and arranged to go there to be done. Maybe your surgery has a similar arrangement?

Have you chased this in writing? Phone calls can be forgotten, or even"forgotten", a letter, sent recorde delivery can't be. As you feel you have issues at every turn, I'd go recorded delivery letter. Mat least that way you should get ta response (or they get a follow-up complaint).

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry i meant retinopathy i dont know if they even sent anything to the whoever needs to do it

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am still waiting to start the ND. My DN asked for me to see a dieticion before I decide (I already have) because of my low BMI. I saw her last Wednesday and am still waiting to hear. If I have not heard by the end of next week I will start anyway as I have a foal due in July so I need to be eating and keep my strength up to manage Mum and Babe just in case I feel weak on the diet. Keep fingers crossed for a filly, much easier to manage than colts!

Please, no negative comments, Pipp, I really want to try and reverse my diabetes as I am so very limited in what I can eat without my BS going really high.
Are you inviting me to comment @Arab Horse ?

I thought we had agreed on another thread that I would not involve myself in further posts concerning your decision to go against medical advice and follow the Newcastle diet?

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pipp

Not seen you for a while, all ok?
Thanks @brettsza. I have been unable to post, as been ill.

After almost 3 weeks on a modified ND (using some shakes and some low calorie meals freshly made to keep to less than 1000 cals a day) I am nearly one stone lighter. Fasting blood glucose between 4.6 and 5.4. Post prandial 2 hours no higher than 6.1. I am thinking of moving away from meal replacements to low calorie using real food. I do not seem to need to starve my pancreas and liver of fat, or to rapidly lose the remaining weight, as my BG remains controlled and in non-diabetic range.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry i meant retinopathy i dont know if they even sent anything to the whoever needs to do it
Same course of action. Letter, recorded delivery, stating you have not had a retinopathy check, and enquiring what the usual practise process is, and when you might expect an appointment.

Reactions: 3 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Arab Horse - I'm increasingly concerned about your determination to pursue the ND; bearing in mind your BMI and liver scan results. Defatting the liver is key to ND success, but you have none, and nor do you have any poundage to drop. My BMI is now just under 18, so I have a very personal idea of how your physical shape is likely to be. There's so little fat around, never mind that you've had confirmation there is no discernible fat in your liver.

I would ask you to think about a couple of things.

I've tried not to make this post, but I think someone has to. But, if you are not already achieving the non-diabetic levels you want, you have no liver fat, you are physically classed as underweight and you are eating very low carb (all by your own statements?), unfortunately, I think there is a very, very slim chance (pun recognised) the ND will materially achieve what you want. I know those are blunt words, but a number of people have dressed them up over weeks and weeks, and you resist, without exception.

If it did work, would you be happy to maintain, long term, what would, frankly, be a skeletal frame? Could you buy adult clothes small enough? Is that your desired look, because you would be stuck with it.

Should you lose weight, but not achieve the desired results, in terms of carbs you can eat, how do you regain the weight lost in the process? Gaining weight on a low carb diet isn't easy; trust me on that one. I haven't found a way to do it, and nor has @Bluetit1802 unless I am mistaken. So, again, you are stuck with a skeletal frame, or a period accepting currently unacceptable blood scores, whilst you eat more carbs to gain weight.

If I recall, Bluetit found if she increased fat further her bloods crept up a bit, but weight didn't go along with em. Correct me if I'm wrong, Blue.

I am passionate about remaining meds free, and fortunately for me, I have, thus far, been able to do so, but I made a pledge to my OH close to diagnosis, that if ever my clinical need for medication was evident, I would accept medication to ensure a good, healthy life. An element in there, vigorously discussed, was how far lifestyle could be taken.

If you feel you are too restricted, in terms of eating, with your current regime, then perhaps it is time to rethink the situation with meds, if that could low the variety of eating options you seek from the ND.

Whilst we have all made changes we would rather not, to manage our conditions, our quality of life needs to come before a strategic dogma. The harsh reality is the ND can't work for everyone. Maybe your "brand" of diabetes means you have drawn a short straw on this one.

Again, apologies for seeming harsh, but I feel something needed to be said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely if someone has no fat left to lose they start to lose muscle if on restricted calorie diet?
The muscle loss I would be most concerned about in such a case would be heart muscle.

I would like to make it clear that I advocate the use of Newcastle diet, but only when the circumstances merit it. That always includes getting the approval and support of your medical team. I accept this can be difficult, as many HCPs do not want to deviate from the NHS script (progressive disease, eat starchy carbs, use medication and no need to test BG etc). So anyone thinking of ND needs to read the academic literature, present said literature to medical team, discuss, and take on board concerns. If medics have read and considered literature but still say 'no, not for you' then there is usually a good reason.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@brettsza - I find it curious you chose to "like" my post, as some of it; the weightless/stature, and considering the "what if" it doesn't work equally apply to you.

Perhaps I have been more subtle in my messaging to you.

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Day 14. Weight is plummeting!.

Background
I started on the 5:2 in September last year at 110kg (BMI 30.7) - having been diagnosed T2, bloods were 'high' ( c11 - 13) so had my meds increased to the max and told by my GP I was in 'last chance saloon' (obviously a John Wayne fan :cool:). He said to me 'you are too fat - simple as that'. On the 5:2 I managed to get down to 91.2 but then over Easter went back up to 94.6. Switched to the ND two weeks ago today.

Now
Today I was 89.2 which puts me at 24.9 on the new BMI scale.:). More importantly my fasting bloods were 5.2 - average over the week 5.4.

Moving forward
So - what to do from here? If I were to attempt to lose 25% of my original weight - that would be a target of 82.5kg or anther 6.7kg (a BMI of 23). I am presuming this will have cleared out all of my liver and pancreas stored fat and might restore my health to no diabetic status - if I am one of the lucky ones where reversal is possible. But I am feeling and looking quit thin! My skin is lose in most places. I can't sit on firm seats without a cushion. I'm down to the last few shirts and pants that still fit (kept in the back of the wardrobe in the long term hope that I might one day be able to wear them again!). I have only one suit left for work that I can get away with! Another 6.7kg would mean a whole new wardrobe! But that is not really the problem. My issue is knowing at what point to stop.

Following the threads in this blog - I can see that the ND requires a kind of 'obsessive' mindset - and there is a fine line between determination and obsession. And if I am not careful - this mindset may prove to be detrimental. My clear goal is to reverse T2. This should not be a matter of weight, or BMI - these are just targets. Goals to aim for.

How will I know when T2 is reversed? Is it when my bloods stablise? Is it when my GP says I'm no longer too fat? I read the ND material - and they seemed to use the time frame of 8 weeks or 56 days. This seems quite arbitrary.

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only