Coconut oil - any thoughts/experiences?

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coconut Oil seems to all the rage at the moment - apparently brilliant for hair, skin and nail care.

But what about eating it? I've read that it is good fry stir frying, roasting, etc - anyone tried it and have any thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just purchased some today, haven't tried it yet. Also good for oil pulling!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use it all the time when frying, it's great.
I don't know if it's the oil that's done it or just the eating style change but my nails have gone really hard.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup I use it all the time for frying and in baking. Delicious! My hair is definitely in better condition which I'm putting down to coconut oil:) It's not cheap though.

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Used for bullet proof coffee too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Use on hair and body. I used it 35 years ago as suntan lotion and still use it during summer months. I started to use on my hair and face more regularly about a year ago and love it.

I use for frying but only fry rarely. If putting salmon of fish in oven we put a little in with the tray to basically stop the fish sticking..

Reactions: 4 people

oskanoears

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
high blood glucose!
Contains more saturated fat, than lard or butter.. It's all relative really.. if you're low carb then there's no foul in putting fats in to use as energy.. there's a lot of recent studies that also show that cholesterol has little to no effect on stroke or heart disease either and that statins cause greater issues than the cholesterol ever would.. alternatively for ingestion get powdered Medium Chain Triglicerides, healthier & cheaper because it is'nt on fad popularity and works just like coffee mate in coffee.. makes a killer hot chocolate with green and blacks organic, 5 scoops of MCTG's a heaped spoon of xylitol and unsweetened almond milk

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup I use it all the time for frying and in baking. Delicious! My hair is definitely in better condition which I'm putting down to coconut oil:) It's not cheap though.
Thanks! True, it's not cheap but don't we deserve a few luxuries to make up for all the things we can't eat any more? :)

Reactions: 6 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1429373995.631783.jpg

I get this one from tesco, been using it a few years, use it for everything, cooking, on hair, skin, oil pulling. Don't think it's THAT expensive for the amount of things I can do with it and a little goes a long way :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
View attachment 13089

I get this one from tesco, been using it a few years, use it for everything, cooking, on hair, skin, oil pulling. Don't think it's THAT expensive for the amount of things I can do with it and a little goes a long way :)

There was a little controversy about that particular brand a while back....
It is definitely a duller colour and different compared to the bulk powders organic virgin coconut oil. You can definitely see and taste a difference between the two brands.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use Biona organic which I think cost me £7.99 for a 400g jar. Only use it for cooking although have been known to rub the remains on the spoon into my hands:).

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I found organic virgin coconut oil in Tesco . Cannot remember the brand at present.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There was a little controversy about that particular brand a while back....
It is definitely a duller colour and different compared to the bulk powders organic virgin coconut oil. You can definitely see and taste a difference between the two brands.

Oh I wasn't aware, been ok for me so far though although I'll look at the other ones next time

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh I wasn't aware, been ok for me so far though although I'll look at the other ones next time

Something about being hydrogenated or not.. I think the company proved they were ok.. But to me it is "different" to ofher brands. Can't specify what exactly but I use the Leftover jar of it on my hair ok....