Bg fasting results

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi, please could someone advise if a fasting bg of 6.2-6.5 needs further investigation? Other readings through the day seem fine. I have a few other symptoms that may or may not be related. Frequent trips to the bathroom that has been diagnosed as and is been treated as overactive bladder, the medication for that doesn't always work and a side effect is dry mouth. frequent occurrences of thrush and very itchy, mainly on stomach and legs. I am overweight my bmi is 34.5. My dad was diagnosed type 2 last year absolutely no help or support from the Dr
Thanks

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Non diabetics would typically be 5.5 or lower at fasting. I should arrange to have an HbA1c ('average' BG levels) which is the normal diagnostic test used. Frequent bathroom trips is a symptom of T2 but I can't comment on the diagnosis you have had for that.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks sanguine
Do they do the HbA1c there and then? Is it a blood test? And a doctor or nurse job?

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if everywhere does it the same way but I was referred by my GP for a glucose tolerance test at the local hospital. Had to do overnight fasting then they took blood sample. Had to drink a mug of yucky thick glucose syrup then wait for 2 hours and have blood taken again. Your GP should be able to refer you if you ask for a GTT.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@sanguine

I'm wondering if you've made a typo?

It is my understanding that normal fasting blood glucose is below 5.6 mmol/l, while diabetes is over 7.0mmol/l. The grey area in between (5.6-6.9) is called pre-diabetes, but is really just part of the continuum known as impaired glucose tolerance that has normal insulin production at one end, and insulin dependence at the other.

Reactions: 2 people

Zazza

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No typo. Out of bed readings are 6.2 6.4 and 6.5
Of the last 10 readings
Max 7.2
Min 4.4
Average 5.8
I believe the morning readings probably put me as pre diabetic
I scuba dive and last time I had to end a dive early and quit for the day due to feeling dizzy and drunk. I wish I had a meter that day. At the time we put it down to a change of diet (lchf week 2, and week 2 of a sugar detox, lots of headaches)
My dads recently diagnosed and a friend which was totally unexpected. My dad not so much. It has worried me specially as the diving I'm doing is training to teach (professional qualifications)

Zazza

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting I appear to have two accounts depending on wether I use phone or iPad. Sorry, I will try and sort it

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well, been the doctors this morning she's sending me for a whole load of blood tests. No HbA1c she said that's for monitoring not diagnosing. Depending on these results which include iron and cholesterol she may send me for GGT. going in the morning for them all

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, been the doctors this morning she's sending me for a whole load of blood tests. No HbA1c she said that's for monitoring not diagnosing. Depending on these results which include iron and cholesterol she may send me for GGT. going in the morning for them all

Ah, the wonderful inconsistencies of the NHS! My doc won't diagnose me unless it is WITH an HbA1c. So, 2 years on, I am still undiagnosed, because I avoid foods that send my blood glucose too high, and therefore have a non-diabetic HbA1c. My fasting blood glucose tests on the other hand, show diabetic scores...

Hope the tests go OK, and don't worry - whatever the results are, you have come to the right place. There is masses of information on the forum to help you.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sat looking at the sheet when I was waiting this morning and noticed HbA1c was ordered