Low carb tinned soup???

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I have steadfastly avoided tinned soups since diagnosis - many cheaper ones are bulked out/thickened with potato starch and often contain "hidden" sugar so altogether not very healthy!

I tend to make batches and freeze in single-portion sizes - great for a quick weekend lunch with some grated cheese on top and a small slice of "good" bread.

Hmm...feeling hungry now... :(

Hi DamePeggy,

Yeah, I've given up the quest for low carb tinned soup. I've got a few varieties for emergencies, like sick days. Oxtail & Beef broth seem to fit the bill. Indeed, I have made some soup too. But I find it time consuming & not necessarily low carb when factoring in all the vegetables etc. It's not a cheap way to eat either, darn it. What kind of soup do you make? Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Ali. X

DamePeggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tomato is my favourite [or variations of it] from the half-ton of tomatoes I froze last summer! Love Butternut Squash too!

Not much you can't make soup from really...though I have to admit that I will NOT be making Roasted Parsnip Soup again - think I overdid the chilli in it and spent the rest of the day sat on the loo! :(

I always make stock from chicken or meat bones and freeze for when I'm in soup-making mode!

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @Alisonjane10

I'm getting into practicing making soups for when I come off the Newcastle Diet and I've found that with the Nutri Ninja I use for making my ND shakes with (and for making the green smoothies which I'll also be having) I can make a soup out of pretty much anything

My latest trial has been making 'pulled pork' but rather than slow roasting I make it in an hour or so using a pressure cooker ( lots of info on Google )

Made with herbs & spices, water, mushrooms and onions and a cup full of water it is very low carb but high in protein and moderate in fat if using the 'crackiling fat' to cook off the mushrooms -- it makes for a very fine stew when put into a slow cooker overnight ....... and 30 seconds in the Ninja makes an awesome soup

Reactions: 4 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
If you are a tinned tomato soup fan like me, I have a nice recipe that's easy and tastes very like the tinned version. If so, let me know and I will post :)

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
If you are a tinned tomato soup fan like me, I have a nice recipe that's easy and tastes very like the tinned version. If so, let me know and I will post :)

Hi Lesleywo

That would be great. I love tomato soup & have had to cut the tinned variety out completely because of the high sugar content. So yes, please post it or PM me with it...whichever you prefer. Thank you. It's very kind of you.

Ali.x

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks RRB & Jack412. I'll give the frittatta a go. As for the bungditin soup...GREAT name. Guess I'll experiment with what I've got in the cupboard/fridge. Still trying to work out the "good carbs" ingredients. I take it that would mean no potatoes, root veg, lentils etc. And, is it ok to use a cube or boullion for the stock base?

I usually add a tin of lentils, not that many carbs per portion in a big pan of soup ;)

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Hi Lesleywo

That would be great. I love tomato soup & have had to cut the tinned variety out completely because of the high sugar content. So yes, please post it or PM me with it...whichever you prefer. Thank you. It's very kind of you.

Ali.x
Hi Ali

I am addicted to tomato soup ... all my life whenever I am feeling unwell, I always have the tomato soup. The recipe is actually red pepper, carrot and tomato soup but to me it's just 'tomato' soup.

2 Red Capsicums
1 Onion
2 Carrots
1 or 2 tins of tomatoes
2 or 3 stock cubes
Cream
Salt & Pepper
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
Chopped Red Chilli or dried chilli - optional

Chop carrots, capcisums and onion and add to large saucepan. Cover with water. Add stockcubes and paprika/chilli. Bring to boil and simmer 'til all veg is soft. Allow to cool. Transfer to blender. Add tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper to taste and extra water to desired consistency. Blend until really smooth.

I have a vitamix which blends soup so smooth it's the same as the tinned stuff.

Enjoy x

PS ..someone started a thread a while ago on soups FYI if you are interested.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
2 Red Capsicums
1 Onion
2 Carrots
1 or 2 tins of tomatoes
2 or 3 stock cubes
Cream
Salt & Pepper
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

Yum! That sounds deeeelicious. Know what, I don't think I've ever eaten a Capsicum. Heard of them, and I'm sure my local Tezzas (Tesco) will stock them as it's one of the big 24 hour extra stores. Once I pick the ingredients up that I haven't already got in, I'll give this recipe a go. Thank you for posting it. It's really kind of you.
Ali. X

AAahhaaaa! A Capsicum is a red pepper. And here's me thinking it's some exotic vegetable. Lol. X

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
2 Red Capsicums
1 Onion
2 Carrots
1 or 2 tins of tomatoes
2 or 3 stock cubes
Cream
Salt & Pepper
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika

Yum! That sounds deeeelicious. Know what, I don't think I've ever eaten a Capsicum. Heard of them, and I'm sure my local Tezzas (Tesco) will stock them as it's one of the big 24 hour extra stores. Once I pick the ingredients up that I haven't already got in, I'll give this recipe a go. Thank you for posting it. It's really kind of you.
Ali. X
You're welcome! I finished up the last of mine today. I added a few cubes of frozen spinach and a can of sardines and topped with grated cheese .. just for variety as I eat the stuff 5 out of 7 days a week! Let me know how you get on. BTW.... you could substitute the carrots for pumpkin if you like.

I am currently making cauliflower soup ...another of my favourites x

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You're welcome! I finished up the last of mine today. I added a few cubes of frozen spinach and a can of sardines and topped with grated cheese .. just for variety as I eat the stuff 5 out of 7 days a week! Let me know how you get on. BTW.... you could substitute the carrots for pumpkin if you like.

I am currently making cauliflower soup ...another of my favourites x

Oh gawd! My mouth is watering! Lol. Cauliflower soup recipe would be fab. If you get time, would you post it please. Thanks loads.
Ali. X

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Oh gawd! My mouth is watering! Lol. Cauliflower soup recipe would be fab. If you get time, would you post it please. Thanks loads.
Ali. X
This one is very easy, not many ingredients.

1/2 Large Cauliflower
2 Onions
2-3 Chicken Stock Cubes
Cream
Sage & Thyme

Just cover the chopped cauliflower & onions in water. Add stock cubes, some chopped sage and thyme. Cook til veggies are soft. Cool, season with salt and pepper and add cream. Bend until smooth. Top with grated cheese if you like. Enjoy!