Why would I do that?

Galathea

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grrrrr, suppose this is just a moan really. Doc wants another fasting blood test..... Just to be quadruple sure.... :-(. But in the meantime I have now been on low carb for about 7 weeks. My spikes have been getting smaller and smaller and I have been eating clean...., just a bit heavy on the nuts and cream.

But it was the lodgers turn to cook last night. I refused a fish cake , but in the end I ate the sodding thing yesterday tea time as she had 'cooked' it. It was a tesco one with about 30g of carbs. (Fom ,memory). I had it with some roasted veg. ... Peppers, onions and tomatoes. 2 hous after, blood glucose was 21. It was 12 before I went to bed and 9 something when I got up this morning. It never dropped until noon when it was 5.9. ( best its ever been). But I feel really miserable and wobbly about even eating the fishcake.... Why didnT I just refuse?

The doc isn't sure about any diagnosis and isn't much interested in my test results, only the fasting ones he takes.

Grrrrrrr. Rant over. Back to no carbs for me. was working well until yesterday.

Thanks for reading ths far

Xx. G.

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Galathea

I notice you say you are Pre Diabetic, the numbers you are quoting a very high from one meal.

You mention that your Doctor asks you to go for a fasting test, but that is only a moment in time, normally diagnosis is made by also a HbA1c. You should ask for one of these and you can get a print out of the results.

This test measures your average blood sugars over the last 2/3 months. The scale is slightly different, but a number between HbA1c of 41 & 47 is Pre diabetic 48 plus, you would be diagnosed as diabetic.

To be Pre Diabetic you would have to averaging 7.7 mmol/L or less on your meter.

Diabetic, is an average of approx 7.8mmol/L & above

The tomatoes were they tinned or fresh. Tinned have a lot more carbs than fresh. Any sauces a sweet, drinks etc
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Galathea

To be Pre Diabetic you would have to averaging 6.4 mmol/L or less on your meter.

Diabetic, is an average of approx 6.5mmol/L & above

Neil

I agree about the high readings - but this is just wrong.. to be Pre Diabetic he'd need to be averaging between 7 and 7.7 on his meter. Assuming the meter was a fair reflection of his HBA1C.

Reactions: 2 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree about the high readings - but this is just wrong.. to be Pre Diabetic he'd need to be averaging between 7 and 7.7 on his meter. Assuming the meter was a fair reflection of his HBA1C.
Sorry my error, thanks for spotting it. Have edited now.
Neil

Rillum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor Galathea has a Hba1c of 42, so even with fasting values of 6.8 and 7.3 doctor wouldn't diagnose. Go figure.

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If galarhea has no symptoms that's not a diagnosis of diabetes. I agree that it probably should be. But its not.

Galathea

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Galathea

I notice you say you are Pre Diabetic, the numbers you are quoting a very high from one meal.

You mention that your Doctor asks you to go for a fasting test, but that is only a moment in time, normally diagnosis is made by also a HbA1c. You should ask for one of these and you can get a print out of the results.

This test measures your average blood sugars over the last 2/3 months. The scale is slightly different, but a number between HbA1c of 41 & 47 is Pre diabetic 48 plus, you would be diagnosed as diabetic.

To be Pre Diabetic you would have to averaging 7.7 mmol/L or less on your meter.

Diabetic, is an average of approx 7.8mmol/L & above

The tomatoes were they tinned or fresh. Tinned have a lot more carbs than fresh. Any sauces a sweet, drinks etc
Neil

Tomatoes were fresh.... No sauces and I drink water, sugar free Riberna or coffee... No sugar, ff milk. Readings this week showed an average of 7.76. ( not including the fishcakes!). I think I am pre diabetic.... The 7.76 is on 50 carbs a day max. My doctor simply doesn't seem to know.

G

Galathea

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If galarhea has no symptoms that's not a diagnosis of diabetes. I agree that it probably should be. But its not.

My main symptoms which have resolved massively, since going low carb, are a fast thumping heart... Heart rate down from 90 odd to mid 70's and a thickened mid section. Have lost just over a stone, all from round my middle...... Also, no longer hot all the time. This was the one symptom which caused a real problem.... Its definitely linked to high carbs for me.

Reactions: 3 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the eating the fishcake thing - I think it's something a few of us have done. I went out for an Indian meal with a friend a while ago and ate a chapatti just to not look too weird! I didn't even really want it. We're social beings, we're polite, we can be tempted etc etc and every now and then we eat something we don't really want to be kind to someone else or to be part of things or whatever. The impact on your BG will help you make a different decision next time! It's readings like that which stiffen our resolve and reinforce self discipline xx

Reactions: 6 people