type 2- not losing weight?

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
rude people, turnips, current diabetic support
Hello to all, many thanks for all the great advice and warm welcomes. I am on the lchf diet and my sugar levels after 3 weeks is incredible - waking sugars are down from 10 to 5.6 my after meal measurements are down from 8 -10's to 6-4.5 on average. My first week I lost about 1.5kg. Second week it all came back on. I followed advice - cut dairy( it raises my blood sugars to 9's) , fruits and nuts. I also cut my protein intake.I watch fats cut my morning coffee with coconut oil. I drink lots of water almost like pre-diabetic symptoms. I have lots of green veg. I do not cheat for the first time on a diet my food fits on a side plate. I am seldom hungry but if I don't eat my sugars go up. I am on 2 meals a day now and a small snack - 2 macadamia nuts or a slice of salami. Still struggling with constipation. I still exercise daily cant do much more than my walking due to a back injury. Before starting lchf i was on severe restricted diet including 5.2. I lost weight on it but incredibly slowly with the side effect of raised sugar levels. My weight history is horrible I had my first dietician when i was 8 only fat person in a family of skinny people. The yo-yo effect for last 35 years. struggled with polytheistic ovaries - came right after birth of my first child. Weight piled on till I was diagnosed with type 2 dropped from 126 kgs to 115kgs was put on insulin with 2nd pregnancies and lost 5kgs during pregnancy. Till last year yo-yo between 114 - 110. with severe calorie diet i dropped to 108. I get no support from my doctor he told me to eat less and i will loose weight???? At moment a bit despondent and I don't think I can eat less. Maybe I still in starving mode? Its hard to see how the weight just come off others . Any advice or encouragement will be welcome.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have made FANTASTIC progress with your blood glucose results. I am sure you will be the envy of many. Three weeks is not a long time re the weight loss, be patient. About the constipation, try some ground flax seeds, about 2 tablespoons a day for a start and see how that helps. Magnesium Citrate pills can also help, about 400 mg/day.
The other very important aspect is carbohydrates, how much do you eat at the moment.? You will probably need to do around 30 grams a day but only you can determine this. In any event no need for any gloom ,you are off to a fantastic start. All the best for the continuation.

Reactions: 2 people

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You have made FANTASTIC progress with your blood glucose results. I am sure you will be the envy of many. Three weeks is not a long time re the weight loss, be patient. About the constipation, try some ground flax seeds, about 2 tablespoons a day for a start and see how that helps. Magnesium Citrate pills can also help, about 400 mg/day.
The other very important aspect is carbohydrates, how much do you eat at the moment.? You will probably need to do around 30 grams a day but only you can determine this. In any event no need for any gloom ,you are off to a fantastic start. All the best for the continuation.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Thank you for the kind words I am chuffed with my sugar levels my suspected ibs is gone. I have no more than 20 - 30gs on my calculations. I have a little milk in coffee.
My diet is basic. Coffee with a scraping of coconut oil.(i stopped this might go back helps with energy) 1 egg and 30g bacon/protein. small tomato.
lunch is a snack since i am not hungry if my sugar falls to low or rises i have a small cucumber and a slice of salami/2 nuts
Dinner is small piece of protein with salad - lettuce/spinach/cucumber dressing lemon juice.I only include a few carrot ribbons and 1/4 cup sweet potato 1x per week.Sometimes stir fry. i drink loads of water +- 2l and some coffee. first week I ate more as per guideline menus had loads of energy.
my energy levels this week are really low.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
we all wish it was as simple as eat less and move more :)
as said, give it time, your bloods are perfect.

with LCHF, I would eat full calories for a while,
you also may have a leptin problem if it's been life long
worth watching it all or pick it up at 20 minutes into the video

Last edited by a moderator:

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
we all wish it was as simple as eat less and move more :)
as said, give it time, your bloods are perfect.

with LCHF, I would eat full calories for a while,
you also may have a leptin problem if it's been life long
worth watching it all or pick it up at 20 minutes into the video

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
thank you so much I needed this the science is solid just wish I can make my doctor watch this ....I think I am going to relax and enjoying my food again. (lchf way) I became O.C.D. with food/ intake/ testing and weighing and as a chef/baker I have lost my lust and love for food. I know I am on the right track to get normal blood sugar levels. In last 13 months I have achieved 5kgs loss on low calorie/low fat with the bonus of being hungry, unhappy and rocketing sugar levels.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
thanks again.... I am going to make all my medical friends watch this - see my other post

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you so much I needed this the science is solid just wish I can make my doctor watch this ....I think I am going to relax and enjoying my food again. (lchf way) I became O.C.D. with food/ intake/ testing and weighing and as a chef/baker I have lost my lust and love for food. I know I am on the right track to get normal blood sugar levels. In last 13 months I have achieved 5kgs loss on low calorie/low fat with the bonus of being hungry, unhappy and rocketing sugar levels.

you should be better on LCHF than LF and low cal

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007(14)00332-3/fulltext#bib94

upload_2015-4-16_4-7-49.png

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was tested nomal results
And the results were? You see, the ranges are wider than the ocean and many, many people with numbers within range are actually quite ill. So if you haven't got the actual numbers, ask for them.

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
And the results were? You see, the ranges are wider than the ocean and many, many people with numbers within range are actually quite ill. So if you haven't got the actual numbers, ask for them.
will do - my doctor isn't very supportive but on next review I will ask all the questions

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello to all, many thanks for all the great advice and warm welcomes. I am on the lchf diet and my sugar levels after 3 weeks is incredible - waking sugars are down from 10 to 5.6 my after meal measurements are down from 8 -10's to 6-4.5 on average. My first week I lost about 1.5kg. Second week it all came back on. I followed advice - cut dairy( it raises my blood sugars to 9's) , fruits and nuts. I also cut my protein intake.I watch fats cut my morning coffee with coconut oil. I drink lots of water almost like pre-diabetic symptoms. I have lots of green veg. I do not cheat for the first time on a diet my food fits on a side plate. I am seldom hungry but if I don't eat my sugars go up. I am on 2 meals a day now and a small snack - 2 macadamia nuts or a slice of salami. Still struggling with constipation. I still exercise daily cant do much more than my walking due to a back injury. Before starting lchf i was on severe restricted diet including 5.2. I lost weight on it but incredibly slowly with the side effect of raised sugar levels. My weight history is horrible I had my first dietician when i was 8 only fat person in a family of skinny people. The yo-yo effect for last 35 years. struggled with polytheistic ovaries - came right after birth of my first child. Weight piled on till I was diagnosed with type 2 dropped from 126 kgs to 115kgs was put on insulin with 2nd pregnancies and lost 5kgs during pregnancy. Till last year yo-yo between 114 - 110. with severe calorie diet i dropped to 108. I get no support from my doctor he told me to eat less and i will loose weight???? At moment a bit despondent and I don't think I can eat less. Maybe I still in starving mode? Its hard to see how the weight just come off others . Any advice or encouragement will be welcome.

please check out the blog wholesourcehealth.com by Stephan Guyenet. He is an obesity reseracher which specializes on how obesity is caused by leptinresistance in the brain. Read all of his blogposts, from the beginning to end. After you have done read all of the blogposts of jason fung.

I have been a fan of lowcarb diet for a long time, my father is a professor in medicine, but have zero clue of nutrition. he weighed 98kg, 174 cm height, on lchf he lost 30 kg very fast.

But lowcarb is not enough. Personally i am 188cm, weighed 110, and i am now 74 kg.i used 9 weeks to lose all of this weight with the principles learned by stepgan guyenet.

Two important principles from him is this, weight is regulated by the brain, Everyone have this natural setpoint, of a natural weight, but it can be changed by diet quality.

And learn everything about leptin.

Good luck

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
please check out the blog wholesourcehealth.com by Stephan Guyenet. He is an obesity reseracher which specializes on how obesity is caused by leptinresistance in the brain. Read all of his blogposts, from the beginning to end. After you have done read all of the blogposts of jason fung.

I have been a fan of lowcarb diet for a long time, my father is a professor in medicine, but have zero clue of nutrition. he weighed 98kg, 174 cm height, on lchf he lost 30 kg very fast.

But lowcarb is not enough. Personally i am 188cm, weighed 110, and i am now 74 kg.i used 9 weeks to lose all of this weight with the principles learned by stepgan guyenet.

Two important principles from him is this, weight is regulated by the brain, Everyone have this natural setpoint, of a natural weight, but it can be changed by diet quality.

And learn everything about leptin.

Good luck

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.no/
thank you

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
thank you
I started with the leptin research and are going try my best to convince my reluctant and very ignorant doctor to test me it make so much sense if I think of my life long battle with my weight. The doctor solution to everything is eat less. I started to eat more whole calories and upped my fat intake I didnt eat lunch I was so full. I posted a follow up and the weight is coming off and the centimetres.... whoop whoop.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I started with the leptin research and are going try my best to convince my reluctant and very ignorant doctor to test me it make so much sense if I think of my life long battle with my weight. The doctor solution to everything is eat less. I started to eat more whole calories and upped my fat intake I didnt eat lunch I was so full. I posted a follow up and the weight is coming off and the centimetres.... whoop whoop.

You mean you are eating more whole foods? What worked for me during my weightloss, was just eating very simple, unprocessed whole foods, until I was no longer hungry, I tried to never count calories, just go by hunger. For instance, I skipped breakfast, and lunch, and had dinner at 16.00, were i would eat, 2 kg of potatoes, some salmon, and lots of plain cooked broccoli. This made me extremely full, but it is diffucult to overat on such food. I was a much bigger guy back then, and i am pretty tall, but 2 kg of potatoes is just 1370 calories, was below my daily expenditure. The next day, i did the same, but ate beef instead of salmon, and tomatoes instead of broccoli, and day by day i lost fat.

My diet is very different now, but i still use Stephan Guyenets principles, i just use it to my advantage.

And everyone that has some extra kilos, do have leptinrestiance, the amount of leptin is perfectly proportional to fat mass in everbody, a lean person i just much more sensitive to it. so if one person is 200 kg, that persons brain, think that is the normanl weight, but when you become sensitive to leptin again, the body understands it is overweight, and it becomes easier to lose.

and congratulations with weightloss whoop whoop

claudetteholmes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
You mean you are eating more whole foods? What worked for me during my weightloss, was just eating very simple, unprocessed whole foods, until I was no longer hungry, I tried to never count calories, just go by hunger. For instance, I skipped breakfast, and lunch, and had dinner at 16.00, were i would eat, 2 kg of potatoes, some salmon, and lots of plain cooked broccoli. This made me extremely full, but it is diffucult to overat on such food. I was a much bigger guy back then, and i am pretty tall, but 2 kg of potatoes is just 1370 calories, was below my daily expenditure. The next day, i did the same, but ate beef instead of salmon, and tomatoes instead of broccoli, and day by day i lost fat.

My diet is very different now, but i still use Stephan Guyenets principles, i just use it to my advantage.

And everyone that has some extra kilos, do have leptinrestiance, the amount of leptin is perfectly proportional to fat mass in everbody, a lean person i just much more sensitive to it. so if one person is 200 kg, that persons brain, think that is the normanl weight, but when you become sensitive to leptin again, the body understands it is overweight, and it becomes easier to lose.

and congratulations with weightloss whoop whoop
many thanks for the post. Yes whole foods and my diet is very simple until last week I still ate to bring my blood sugar down now its settled and I only eat when I am hungry. Its liberating to not eat when you not hungry. ( the old diabetic guidelines eat often and little.... think it took my body a while to adapt) For a year now I ate only 3x a day but with strict calorie counting. Much easier to count carbs. This morning I am 500g down again so we getting there. I just need to sort out my medication.