Counting Carbs

Knoxee99

Hi All,

Some advice please, if you are following a low carb diet, how many carbs can you have each day. Also how do I know how many carbs are in things.?

In anticipation Julia

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I use myfitnesspal. Its a good app. And you can enter your own recipes.
At the moment I'm restricting myself to less than 20 grams per day, but that's not usual. Most aim for about 50g I think.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife uses the info on the back of any packaging .. Pen and paper ..calculator and scales to keep my carb intake around the 30g a day .. I am .. So the wife says allowed a few veggies not counted in the carbs .. Brussels .. Brockley and collieflower ..but we are veggies :confused:

Edit to add ... I also eat to my meter .. So the carb counting is as important as the blood sugar readings ..food is adjusted to keep my levels stable

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi All,

Some advice please, if you are following a low carb diet, how many carbs can you have each day. Also how do I know how many carbs are in things.?

In anticipation Julia

Hi Julia, I don't think it's upto anyone here to give you specific figures. Take a look at the figures given on this link and think about where you want to be................

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

For myself, Iam in now in the 'moderate' category but many go much lower than this.

As to knowing how many carbs are in things, I'm afraid you'll have to start looking at food nutrition labels a bit more closely. There's also a book called Carbs and Cals. It's available from Amazon and it has pictures of what food portion sizes look like.

You could start by keeping a food diary and finding out how many carbs you are eating right now.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Go and buy yourself a copy of "Eat Fat" by Trudi Deakin - it's a good overall beginners guide to low carb diets, and has a section on how to prepare and get yourself started on this type of diet.

And if you are not already testing your pre and post meal glucose levels, it's essential that you get a meter and do so (at least to start with) so that you can see (a) how low carbing is affecting (and hopefully improving!) your glucose levels, and (b) how well you can tolerate any foods that you may want to include in, or exclude from, your diet. This information will help you make any adjustments to get the best out of your diet - i.e. eat to your meter.

Robbity

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i have a diabetic child how many cRbs so u recommend a day x
Hi stacy. I'd put a post in parents and T1.
a dietitian should overview the diet...
before the 1970's we were eating about 40% carb, 20% protein and 40% fats, since then that fats have been recommended at 30% and carbs 50%
are you looking at low carb for the way it stabilises BG? If it was my child, I'd start with 30-35% carb 20% protein and 45-50% fats, but fats can be increased more if needed and your dietitian thinks it's a good idea
https://www.google.com.au/#q=ketogenic+children
[MCT is subed with coconut oil]