LCHF Restart

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did you get on with your appointment? @akindrat18?

As @JACKTHELAD said I wouldn't be eating those fruit pots, If you've been eating a lot of them it might explain the high bg levels!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How did you get on with your appointment? @akindrat18?

As @JACKTHELAD said I wouldn't be eating those fruit pots, If you've been eating a lot of them it might explain the high bg levels!

The appointment went ok, I gave the dietician a record of my bg levels since April and explained my highs and lows. I told her that I have been feeling stressed due to uni work and dissertation, also I told her about my fruit intake and how I've only been using fruit and not veg in my nutribullet. She asked me if I've been skipping my medication and I was honest and said I do 2-3 times a week in the morning. My Hba1c went up from 9.1 in October 2014 to 13.3 last month.

She wants me to have another blood test done soon when I move back home and told me that their might be a change in my medication if the lixisenatide does not bring my bg levels down. I've lost 10kg since November and now weigh just over 22 stone. Still along way to go, but I got told to think about bariatic surgery by a doctor who was sitting in the room with me and the dietician as he said at my age that my diabetes can be cured and the waiting list is only 6 months. My dietician has told me to get a medication box, write up a low carb week diet with 30 grams of carbs a day allowed and to also continue going the gym.

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your dietician has told you to try 30g carbs a day? Wow! A dietician who understands diabetes! I struggle with 30g a day myself, although it's what I am trying, starting this week. Good luck with this :)

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your dietician has told you to try 30g carbs a day? Wow! A dietician who understands diabetes! I struggle with 30g a day myself, although it's what I am trying, starting this week. Good luck with this :)

Yes she has @zand as at the appointment that I had with her in January, I showed her the LCHF diet website dietdoctor.com and she is following the diet as she was looking for a new diet as the diets that she had tried all failed.

Also I forgot to mention that she told me off about my beer drinking habits and that I should swap it for spirits and diet mixers.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she has @zand as at the appointment that I had with her in January, I showed her the LCHF diet website dietdoctor.com and she is following the diet as she was looking for a new diet as the diets that she had tried all failed.

Also I forgot to mention that she told me off about my beer drinking habits and that I should swap it for spirits and diet mixers.

I think I probably love your dietician a little bit..................................... In a wholesome way, of course!

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just from the snippets of what you are doing at the moment, it seems there are quite a few changes you could make. AND THIS IS GOOD NEWS, because you can make the changes, simple swaps and you will see a difference.
  • remember your meds
  • cut out fruit / change to crudities
  • put a hold on the beer (tough for a student, I know ;-))
Are there other things you can change in terms of lifestyle to reduce stress? I guess it is a busy time for you at Uni and job interviews, maybe see about how to reduce stress on the body too? Increase water, address sleep habits?

Good luck!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I probably love your dietician a little bit..................................... In a wholesome way, of course!

I will miss my dietitian when I go back home for good soon, but I will still be able to contact her and give her updates on my health.

Just from the snippets of what you are doing at the moment, it seems there are quite a few changes you could make. AND THIS IS GOOD NEWS, because you can make the changes, simple swaps and you will see a difference.
  • remember your meds
  • cut out fruit / change to crudities
  • put a hold on the beer (tough for a student, I know ;-))
Are there other things you can change in terms of lifestyle to reduce stress? I guess it is a busy time for you at Uni and job interviews, maybe see about how to reduce stress on the body too? Increase water, address sleep habits?

Good luck!

I'm seeing a counsellor twice a week now and he is giving me some helpful techniques on how to reduce stress. Also i've been told to have anything to eat or drink after 8pm except water to help with my sleeping habits as I keep on waking up 4-5 times a night and last night I slept a full 6 hours by doing just that. As for the beer drinking, i'm slowly cutting down and when out in a pub I've started to order diet coke with either vodka, whisky or rum.

Reactions: 5 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great day it has been today. Went to the Queens Leisure Centre Pool in the morning after having two tins of mackerel in EVO, finding out that I am dead on 22 stone in weight. Followed by a trip into town seeing it busy with a parade going on. Bought myself a pill box and got the rest of my medication. Having myself a me day, trying on some jeans in Burtons and they fit me!!! Having a chicken and bacon salad for lunch and then going food shopping at Iceland where I bought; 4 peppered steaks for £2, lettuce 79p, tomatos on vine £1, 3 pack peppers £1, 10 large eggs £1, tub of full fat mayo £1, jar of beetroot £1.50, 8 thin sausages £1 (2.9 grams of carb per sausage, 4 pints of milk 89p, squirty cream for £1.50 and 12 rashers of back bacon for free as the checkout person forgot to put them on the receipt so my Iceland shopping came to just over £10.

Today has been such a beautiful day, that I have made myself a promise to become under 20 stone in exactly 3 months, as I will be turning 22 (no reference to the Taylor Swift song please!!) by then.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great day it has been today. Went to the Queens Leisure Centre Pool in the morning after having two tins of mackerel in EVO, finding out that I am dead on 22 stone in weight. Followed by a trip into town seeing it busy with a parade going on. Bought myself a pill box and got the rest of my medication. Having myself a me day, trying on some jeans in Burtons and they fit me!!! Having a chicken and bacon salad for lunch and then going food shopping at Iceland where I bought; 4 peppered steaks for £2, lettuce 79p, tomatos on vine £1, 3 pack peppers £1, 10 large eggs £1, tub of full fat mayo £1, jar of beetroot £1.50, 8 thin sausages £1 (2.9 grams of carb per sausage, 4 pints of milk 89p, squirty cream for £1.50 and 12 rashers of back bacon for free as the checkout person forgot to put them on the receipt so my Iceland shopping came to just over £10.

Today has been such a beautiful day, that I have made myself a promise to become under 20 stone in exactly 3 months, as I will be turning 22 (no reference to the Taylor Swift song please!!) by then.

That's all sounding very positive.

How much have you lost now? I'm sorry, I can't recall.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Today has been such a beautiful day, that I have made myself a promise to become under 20 stone in exactly 3 months, as I will be turning 22

Good .... then go for it as you'll feel much better. A short term target I trust as you have a longer way to go :)

Do as I do (did) and it's easy ... at least it was for me ...... walk ....a LOT ....

You'll be amazed

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That's all sounding very positive.

How much have you lost now? I'm sorry, I can't recall.

I used to weigh 24 stone 5 pounds (155.7kg) in October 2015 at my heaviest to date. Yesterday I weighed in at 22 stone 1 pound (140.3kg) with just a t-shirt and shorts on.

Good .... then go for it as you'll feel much better. A short term target I trust as you have a longer way to go :)

Do as I do (did) and it's easy ... at least it was for me ...... walk ....a LOT ....

You'll be amazed

@Mike D it is a short term target as I've got 9 months until I graduate and receive my degree in January. Ideally, I would like to lose 2 stone every 3 months as I'm currently having to buy 4xl tops and underwear, plus size 48 jeans and trousers. By January, I should hopefully be 16 stone or a little less. Walking has never helped me, only by going the gym have I been able to lose my weight.

I've got one question that is not about LCHF, weight loss or bg levels. I am thinking of buying some charcoal capsules as I've got a really bad case of trapped wind and I've been told that the capsules work great by a friend, but he is not diabetic so I don't know if they will be safe.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to weigh 24 stone 5 pounds (155.7kg) in October 2015 at my heaviest to date. Yesterday I weighed in at 22 stone 1 pound (140.3kg) with just a t-shirt and shorts on.

@Mike D it is a short term target as I've got 9 months until I graduate and receive my degree in January. Ideally, I would like to lose 2 stone every 3 months as I'm currently having to buy 4xl tops and underwear, plus size 48 jeans and trousers. By January, I should hopefully be 16 stone or a little less. Walking has never helped me, only by going the gym have I been able to lose my weight.

I've got one question that is not about LCHF, weight loss or bg levels. I am thinking of buying some charcoal capsules as I've got a really bad case of trapped wind and I've been told that the capsules work great by a friend, but he is not diabetic so I don't know if they will be safe.

Nice to be able to throw into conversation you've lost "a couple of stones"? Well done.

No idea about charcoal capsules.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah it is, my parents are really chuffed about it. Anyways, my body is still trying to fight its way to have carbs after experiencing a drop in BG levels from 30.1 to 18.2 in 2 hours. Plus I now have a pill box.

Attachments

• 1429455052844.jpg
    1429455052844.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 180

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi , akindrat18,

I remember taking charcoal pills way back when I was in the army. I was given them for indigestion, perhaps the cheapest possible solution to the problem ie army food. They are also used for gas etc . They tasted pretty terrible but seemed to do the job.

The activated charcoal is very efficient at adsorbing/-absorbing chemicals ex gases included . Give it a try its perfectly safe.

See here,

http://www.charcoalremedies.com/acid_indigestion

and here,

http://flatulencecures.com/how-to-use-activated-carbon-flatulence

FYI I lost 6.9 stone on the LCHF diet and its still off, good luck with your efforts and remember it gets easier as time goes by.

Last edited by a moderator:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the BBC is trying to get on board with LCHF: www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zggkwmn

My excess gas @Pasha has been going on for months, but recently since I've changed to LCHF my bowel movements have decreased from several times a day to just one a day, sometimes none a day. I've tried lying on the floor, putting pressure on my left side as that is where I feel my excess gas coming from.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Got so!e good news, my morning bs is 5.1 with my previous level at 17.8 at 5pm yesterday. So happy right now!!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate my body!! My BS levels have jumped up to 23.7 after having my low carb breakfast. Was going to go the gym today after seeing the 5.1 before my breakfast.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate my body!! My BS levels have jumped up to 23.7 after having my low carb breakfast. Was going to go the gym today after seeing the 5.1 before my breakfast.

Sadly, I might be doubting your 5.1.

If you are complying with your low carb strategy, without deviations, then it really is looking like you may need more medical support, perhaps even shorter term. Perhaps some of your final stress is impacting on your score so; who knows, but it feels those scores can't possibly be helping with academic performance at this critical time for you.

Akindrat, I'm no medic, and clearly the foregoing is just my observational opinion, but is there anyone you can call to talk this through today?