Role of RAW FOODS re. Diabetes Reversal

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
I am very interested to know what your thoughts and experiences are regarding the use of raw foods for diabetes reversal. There is a long documentary on YouTube about this. I watched it. Very interesting, and encouraging, but it offers a different view in a way to the standard HFLC diet.

Thanks,
MM

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am equally interested in responses and views from experts on this topic. First of all I appreciate the OP for this very good post. I am not a very big fan of raw diet; never seriously tried, though on a very, very few occasions I had raw food only as a meal.

On HFLC diet: I agree with LC diet, which is my daily practice currently. But not knowledgeable on HF part. Yes, I have a few videos and read couple of articles about the benefits of HF diet. I take a peace of cheese only occasionally. My observations are - HF diet might drop the weight quickly, thus giving a short term or quick result? My weight loss was gradual and a very slow process. IMHO, HF diet is one of several options for weight loss. - this may not be applicable to all. I used exercises effectively for weight loss, assisted by LFLC diet.

So would be glad to see more responses on this.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if you are losing weight..it's working..whatever it is.
lclf won't work long term though. you need a way of eating for the rest of your life.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't like many vegetables and I certainly couldn't eat them raw!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
one point I forgot. I believe my current diet has about 30% raw? Everyday my lunch has a portion of steamed vegetables and sprouts. So we first need to define raw foods properly. Is it correct to say boiled potato is a raw food?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am now planning to eat only raw food let us say up to 80%; I will do it for 4 weeks and then post back results. Is that a good idea?

Reactions: 4 people

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You cannot Cook anything . Raw food is what it sounds like:
Raw. Food. Anything raw or not heated over 40 'Celsius. Meat egg vegetables and so on could be raw food. Raw stands for not heated up so the nutrition goes away.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The only stuff I eat cooked are eggs, meat, fish and poultry. And coffee.

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah! Coffee I can't stay without. After my 4 surgery I had problems to eat ordinary food.i couldn't pass through my digestive system. I didn't know then that I had diabetic 2. I started to eat green drinks and when I googled I found new ones to try on YouTube. I got so happy and and should I say bright in my mind although I had so much pain that I thought I was going to start a cult around raw food. I realised later that it was my sugar going down worked as Medicin.
After 3 months I could get rid of blood pressure medicine
And the ones for clogged up cholesterol . And only needed 2/500 mg a day instead of 2/1000mg a day. I was determined to get rid of diabetes and my doctor really thought I was going to. After one year j had lost 40 kilo that I had gained after my 3 surgery,
Sadly it showed I "haven't hot the stomach" to live on raw, I can't possibly eat that much, do now I have to drink special nutrition drinks on recepy.
I haven't got rid of d2 and are back at 2/1000mg a day, but I haven't gained my weight or my other medicine after 3 years!
:)

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yeah! Coffee I can't stay without. After my 4 surgery I had problems to eat ordinary food.i couldn't pass through my digestive system. I didn't know then that I had diabetic 2. I started to eat green drinks and when I googled I found new ones to try on YouTube. I got so happy and and should I say bright in my mind although I had so much pain that I thought I was going to start a cult around raw food. I realised later that it was my sugar going down worked as Medicin.
After 3 months I could get rid of blood pressure medicine
And the ones for clogged up cholesterol . And only needed 2/500 mg a day instead of 2/1000mg a day. I was determined to get rid of diabetes and my doctor really thought I was going to. After one year j had lost 40 kilo that I had gained after my 3 surgery,
Sadly it showed I "haven't hot the stomach" to live on raw, I can't possibly eat that much, do now I have to drink special nutrition drinks on recepy.
I haven't got rid of d2 and are back at 2/1000mg a day, but I haven't gained my weight or my other medicine after 3 years!
I've realized that everyone has to figure out what diet works for them. No one diet is the right one for everyone. However, I would say regardless of whether it's raw or cooked or some of each, the less factory processed the better.

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Yes, the coffee is roasted.
I roast my own coffee. I can't go back to stale grocery store coffee. I started drinking my coffee black and now can't drink the stuff at the office either without cream and fake sugar to hide the terrible coffee. So I bought a 1 cup coffee maker and brew my home roast in my office. Nothing beats fresh roasted coffee.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Some veggies supply more vitamins when raw, in others though the vitamins are better assimilated from cooked foods (lycopene from cooked tomatoes for example) http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/raw-veggies-are-healthier/
It's harder for people who eat raw food diets to get as much energy from their food and rawfoodists tend to be thin; as such then if you enjoy it then it could be a good way to lose weight and that will undoubtedly help with insulin resistence (indeed it could work in a similar way to the Newcastle diet by reducing calories very quickly). It might not be the best diet long term though
Cooking might just be what made us human
http://bigthink.com/videos/cooking-changed-the-size-of-our-brains

kajsasan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes indy! I for once can't live on just raw food veggies at least. Maybe if I ate meat and egg, but it's hard for me to process that.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spent about a year on 80% raw.

Basically it was green smoothies morning and lunch (about 14 portions fruit and veg)
The evening meal was cooked meat or fish with either salad or very lightly cooked veg.
All snacks were raw too (raw cookies, raw hot choc, etc)

I felt really good on it, but it was before I had a BG meter, and I may have been running rather high BG, because I was including tropical fruit. I will never know for certain.

I was also making a few major errors from a diabetic point of view - I was sweetening with fructose or palm sugar. Wouldn't touch either of those nowadays. And also eating dates (50% sugars) and grapes. And my fat intake was low. Far too low. I have since discovered how much better I function on higher fat.

Had to watch for low BG in a way I never do now I am in ketosis.

In retrospect, I think that was the year I slid into type 2, because when autumn hit, with cold damp weather, and I started upping my cooked intake, I suddenly fell into feeling dreadful, complete with bronchitis, massive doses of antibiotics and it took months to crawl back up to health. The big D had struck.

All that rambling was basically to say:
Raw is great
But it is easy to slip into higher carb and maybe lower fat
So watch your BG.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Folks, my sincere apologies for my rant.
1. First of all I am not completely aware of what are raw foods. Thought 'boiled vegetables and boiled red-beans etc ' are raw. Apparently they are not. So, I retract my post on eating raw.

2. I tried to stick to something 'raw'; I found it extremely difficult after 4 days. Almost like throwing up.

So, I am not able to continue with 'my version of raw' [which is not raw actually] and had to stop. Was traveling so could not post or read. Just had a nice dinner, downed two glasses of red wine. I believe that is raw? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @mekalu2k4, but I don't think wine can be considered raw either - I think the process of fermentation may preclude that description ;)