Can i get off this roller-coaster now please?

Mrs_lyvit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
crowded places, having hypos, negativity.
Hi all. I'm type 1 and have been for 22 years. Youngest daughter was diagnosed also in February and it was the kick up the butt I needed as have been very poorly controlled. Having gone through the training for her I have put the methods to work on myself and have already brought my HbA1c down from 132 to 97 in a month! My trouble is I have a lot of days riding the roller-coaster you see below. Occasionally it is lower but still pretty much this shape. I was wondering if anyone could offer a pearl of wisdom to help level things out a little. Suffering with headaches and irritability a fair bit and assuming this is why.

Attachments

• 1428431135371.jpg
    1428431135371.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 250

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Feally depends on what meds, what foods and when you are taking insulin etc. can even go as far as what size needles used or exercise.. So really more info would be needed.

Reactions: 2 people

Mrs_lyvit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lol of course. I'm mdi carb counting with novo rapid and levimir. Levimir is taken 9:30 twice a day 10 at night and 18 in the morning. I currently take breakfast novo 40 mins before eating but rest is just before. I am using 4 mm needles. I walk a little each day ie for school runs etc but atm not much more cos I also have a form of lupus and I have to pace myself exercise wise. Looking at my food intake I do have a high carb diet and wondered if this may be part of it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You need to start off with some basal testing and work on getting your basal dose right, once you do this you can then look at your insulin-to-carb ratio's and diet in general, although the following is for pump users it explains how you should do a basal test throughout a 24 hour period:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Mrs_lyvit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fab thank you for your help. I will take a good look into this and let you all know how it goes. Am off for an early night in the hope I catch up a little. This roller-coaster is pretty tiring

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fab thank you for your help. I will take a good look into this and let you all know how it goes. Am off for an early night in the hope I catch up a little. This roller-coaster is pretty tiring
How's the roller coater going?

Mrs_lyvit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's getting more level thankfully. I have managed to bring my fasting results down to under 10 which then sets me up for the day better. I have eliminated the post breakfast spike too so looking a lot better. HbA1c is showing the hard work too. In December it was a shocking 132 and now it's 78. Hoping next one is even better. Thank you for your help

Reactions: 6 people

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please consider doing the DAFNE course run by the DAFNE trained nures. It usually a 5 day course which covers many of the WHYS and HOWS and how to better manage your diabetes. You mention that you usually eat high carb meals....and a cut in your daily carb amount would reduce your insulin intake and would help lower your BSs, providing that you're using the correct real/carb/insulin ratios for each meal. DAFNE teaches all these things and even look at what insulins you're using...in case they need changing. The course made a huge difference to me and I now only follow what I learnt on the course and I don't use the usual DSN just a trained DAFNE nurse if I need help...by e-mail. I use their monitoring diary as it's better than the usual diary given by the DSNs.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrs_lyvit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have done a paediatric carb counting course for my youngest and next month I have a two day one to do for myself. I'm not sure if they do DAFNE courses down here but I certainly will look into them. Thank you

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have done a paediatric carb counting course for my youngest and next month I have a two day one to do for myself. I'm not sure if they do DAFNE courses down here but I certainly will look into them. Thank you

I'm sure the courses will be much the same, but if you want to learn a bit more about carb counting register with the following:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/