Low carb packed lunches

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, what do people with type 2 take to work for lunches? I am a sign writer and try to just do mornings, but sometimes have to work longer, I have just started on my low carb diet and have noticed that a cheese and wholemeal sandwich really spikes my readings.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Why do I get the distinct impression that the bread is the culprit? @bikerbrian .... change it and test. What readings are you getting mate?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Brian, if you have a food flask, you can take in anything you fancy, hot or cold - soup, stew, curry, last night's leftovers. Or tubs of cold tapas type things, cheese, tomatoes, olives, nuts etc. I like chia pudding. It is filling and high fibre, topped with berries and nuts. Lots of chia pudding recipes on google :)

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mike, thanks for the reply. I don't eat bread anyway, but thought I would try some as a test, so no bread again! It's just that being new to low carbs, ( two weeks) I am still learning what to eat. After 12 years of not really bothering too much with my diet, I feel it's time to get it right!

Reactions: 5 people

bikerbrian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Avacado Sevenfold, I will try that! I just don't want to lose faith in the low carb diet,as I am determined to control my diabetes. I have been getting highish readings of 8.4 to 10 before breakfast, but daytime readings have been getting better from over 9, to 6/7 over the last few days. After 12 years, and not much proper info from my nurse, I am pleased I have found you guys to help. Up to now, all I have been told is that 'it gets worse' not, hey, here's the way to get that bad boy under control, I wonder how many other peeps are in the same boat?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
No worries at all @bikerbrian .... we all learn starting out and I'm no exception to that rule :) Took me weeks and weeks of misery before I found this place and learnt from the experts

Great advice from @Avocado Sevenfold by the way. Just keep away from the wheat / breads and keep testing. Soups (home made) ARE A great idea as are the stews.

There's a lot of people 'round these parts I respect a lot with their help ..... @Avocado Sevenfold is just one of them :)

Take care mate

Mike

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find packed lunches the hardest meal to plan ,but nuts and cheese are quite filling and avocado ,hard boiled eggs,cold sausages,cooked peppered mackerel Make it a challenge think outside the box!
CAROL

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take cold meat, salad, cheese etc to work and often have some nuts on stand by too! Cold black farmers 95% meat sausages too...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like to cook, you can cook up front, then fridge or freeze several days supply, then pick and mix as you go.

Some of these recipes here are so simple, and 5 ingredients or less: http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/recipes/

If you have a supply of cooked quality sausages, cooked bacon, cooked chicken in the freezer in little portion sized pots (clip top pots from the Pound shops are several for £1), you can just grab a few pots and they'll defrost as you work during the morning. Hard boiled eggs work for a few days in the fridge, and similarly a handful of salad leaves out of a supermarket bag needn't be a big fuss.

I'd say, the challenge is in being organised, and maybe spending an hour with the oven on a couple of times a month to batch cook your meats, then freeze.

Enjoy!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Little mini frittatas baked in muffin trays are great. Oil the tray, place a small amount of allowable veg, asparagus, cauli, broccoli etc, add some cheese of your choice, you can make a tray of different ones, pour beaten eggs over and bake till set. They keep well in the fridge and go great in a lunch box with a green salad.

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've bought several ice packs do I can take chicken etc with me, home cooked or shop bought. Plain Greek yoghurt with berries, babybels, packs of vegetable sticks, nuts, gherkins, olives, Etc
the natural low carb store does some low carb nut bars that are pricey but good if you get stuck!
All the best.