Is there a faster acting insulin than novo rapid?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes there is a couple of new ultra rapid out, i don't know if it's in the UK yet but one is a powder.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
In the Balance magazine last year they were saying that Novo Nordisk were bringing out an ultra-fast insulin late 2015, it said it could be taken just before or after eating and as it had a shorter profile it reduced the chances of postprandial hypo's, have a look on Google and see if you can find anything.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Last time I checked it was still undergoing UK clinical trials. According to Bernstein, Humalog has a quicker action than NovoRapid.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Apidra is supposed to be slightly quicker in onset but I really don't find it that fast. Similarly, it can still be hanging around 4-5 hours after my meal.

iHs

From the doctors that I have chatted with, its thought that Apidra has a slightly faster onset but its duration is about 4hrs. Novorapid has a slightly slower onset and its duration is about 4 to 5hrs. Humalog is a bit like Apidra.

ivm18

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
hi, my son is on MDI apidra/lantus.
His endo told us that apidra has a bit faster onset than novo rapid and with the duration lasted for 3-4 hrs. my son usually take his shot in the middle of his meal.like 10 mins after he starts eating. and so far it works for him, his BG range from 4.7 to 7.2.

Reactions: 4 people

HaroldC

Novo and a couple of other companies are developing "ultra-rapid" human analogs. Novo is the closest to release and is hoped for then end of this year. I'm looking forward to this a great deal, but I do have some concerns about some of the techniques they're using to do this, and whether they have long-term implications for damage to insulin absorption sites. But then, I'll have to trust the experts, after all, I'm just an inquisitive electronics engineer.

Reactions: 2 people