How do I know if I'm having night time hypo's?

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Hi folks

I need some advice please. I haven't had very many hypos, & when I have had them, it's been because I was overdoing the low carb and low calorie intake. The only warning I usually get is a headache & dizziness. Don't get shaky, pale or any of the usual well documented symptoms. However, I'm wondering if I'm having nighttime hypos. I have been waking up soaked in sweat, even on very cool nights. I also feel a bit delicate when this happens. When I check my BG on these occasions, it's never usually in the hypo range. It tends to be around 5.0 mmols. Before I go to sleep, I always have a piece of cheese or slice of ham with my Cinnamon tablet, which I take because my fasting BG is often on the high side. Is it possible to have a hypo when sleeping but for BG to be ok when testing upon waking? I've heard of rebound liver dump following a hypo, and obviously dawn phenomenon. It's all a tad confusing. Any advice gratefully received.

Ali. X

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks

I need some advice please. I haven't had very many hypos, & when I have had them, it's been because I was overdoing the low carb and low calorie intake. The only warning I usually get is a headache & dizziness. Don't get shaky, pale or any of the usual well documented symptoms. However, I'm wondering if I'm having nighttime hypos. I have been waking up soaked in sweat, even on very cool nights. I also feel a bit delicate when this happens. When I check my BG on these occasions, it's never usually in the hypo range. It tends to be around 5.0 mmols. Before I go to sleep, I always have a piece of cheese or slice of ham with my Cinnamon tablet, which I take because my fasting BG is often on the high side. Is it possible to have a hypo when sleeping but for BG to be ok when testing upon waking? I've heard of rebound liver dump following a hypo, and obviously dawn phenomenon. It's all a tad confusing. Any advice gratefully received.

Ali. X
What have your bloods actually been when you've actually gone hypo? How often do you get the nighttime sweating? Every night, every couple of nights, or is it totally erratic?

I'll save the longer post until after you've responded with your details.

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
What have your bloods actually been when you've actually gone hypo? How often do you get the nighttime sweating? Every night, every couple of nights, or is it totally erratic?

I'll save the longer post until after you've responded with your details.

Hi AndBreathe,

When I've had a hypo because of very low carb & very low calorie intake, my BG drops to around 3. That happened a few times as my body adjusted to my new way of eating. No symptoms apart from headache & dizziness. Definitely foggy for several hours afterwards, and very tired. Wouldn't have liked to go below 3. No idea what my BG drops to during the night. And not even sure if it does. But as I say, I'm waking up dripping with sweat & feeling generally weird...(weak, spaced out, exhausted. BG between 4 & 5.) Most mornings, a typical BG tends to be the highest of the day at around 5.2 to 6.5 on average. The fact that my waking BG, after my sweats etc, isn't what I'd call hypo level, despite the symptoms, makes me wonder what IS happening. Is it rebound liver dump, DP, or just one if those things. The nighttime sweats are totally erratic. No 2 nights are the same. My bedroom is always cool (my preference,) I sleep well & I know it's not a menopause thing. And, the sweats have only been happening since I was diagnosed, and prescribed medication. I take Metformin & Gliclazide 40mg twice a day. This has reduced from 160mg twice daily due to better BG control. Any ideas? I know I'm a drama queen, but I don't wanna wake up dead! :eek: That would be really blooming inconvenient. :arghh:

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi AndBreathe,

When I've had a hypo because of very low carb & very low calorie intake, my BG drops to around 3. That happened a few times as my body adjusted to my new way of eating. No symptoms apart from headache & dizziness. Definitely foggy for several hours afterwards, and very tired. Wouldn't have liked to go below 3. No idea what my BG drops to during the night. And not even sure if it does. But as I say, I'm waking up dripping with sweat & feeling generally weird...(weak, spaced out, exhausted. BG between 4 & 5.) Most mornings, a typical BG tends to be the highest of the day at around 5.2 to 6.5 on average. The fact that my waking BG, after my sweats etc, isn't what I'd call hypo level, despite the symptoms, makes me wonder what IS happening. Is it rebound liver dump, DP, or just one if those things. The nighttime sweats are totally erratic. No 2 nights are the same. My bedroom is always cool (my preference,) I sleep well & I know it's not a menopause thing. And, the sweats have only been happening since I was diagnosed, and prescribed medication. I take Metformin & Gliclazide 40mg twice a day. This has reduced from 160mg twice daily due to better BG control. Any ideas? I know I'm a drama queen, but I don't wanna wake up dead! :eek: That would be really blooming inconvenient. :arghh:

Well, maybe time to have a further chat about the Gliclazide? It stimulates insulin production, and can cause hypos.

Firstly, I'd start tracking my blood on going to bed, and any time you wake during the night (kit on bedside table, although not too conjugally friendly, I do agree), and see if that tells you anything. Otherwise, I have done a couple of 24 testing routines, where I tested my bloods every hour, on the hour, including overnight. I did that when I was quite often waking with a dull headache (nothing else). It showed me my bloods run low overnight, but then my all-time averages tend to run in the 4s anyway, so I would possibly expect what I found. I had to set an hourly alarm on my phone, and slept through one alarm on each cycle!! Needless to say, I conducted this particular bit of research when MrB was away and I could indulge my diabetes-nuttery all to myself. That said, I am not on any medication and I feel fine, so see/saw no reason to take any action for myself.

Alternatively, if you are able to fund it, a couple of Libre Freestyle sensors could be worthwhile, as it would provide 24 hour data (with a few restrictions, obviously). The starter pack is about £140, including scanner, but I'm not sure where they are on accepting new customers currently. Many people have found this gives them valuable information. It is not supported by the NHS, even for T1s, so little point approaching your GP at the moment for one of those bad boys. I registered before coming away, and will be able to buy when I get home, so I will be fascinated to see my data, because I must be having some higher readings than I ever capture too.

It's probably worth a chat with your GP, but I imagine, aside from considering reducing the Glic again, and maybe doing some precautionary bloods, the ball will be in your court.

Reactions: 4 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, maybe time to have a further chat about the Gliclazide? It stimulates insulin production, and can cause hypos.

Firstly, I'd start tracking my blood on going to bed, and any time you wake during the night (kit on bedside table, although not too conjugally friendly, I do agree), and see if that tells you anything. Otherwise, I have done a couple of 24 testing routines, where I tested my bloods every hour, on the hour, including overnight. I did that when I was quite often waking with a dull headache (nothing else). It showed me my bloods run low overnight, but then my all-time averages tend to run in the 4s anyway, so I would possibly expect what I found. I had to set an hourly alarm on my phone, and slept through one alarm on each cycle!! Needless to say, I conducted this particular bit of research when MrB was away and I could indulge my diabetes-nuttery all to myself. That said, I am not on any medication and I feel fine, so see/saw no reason to take any action for myself.

Alternatively, if you are able to fund it, a couple of Libre Freestyle sensors could be worthwhile, as it would provide 24 hour data (with a few restrictions, obviously). The starter pack is about £140, including scanner, but I'm not sure where they are on accepting new customers currently. Many people have found this gives them valuable information. It is not supported by the NHS, even for T1s, so little point approaching your GP at the moment for one of those bad boys. I registered before coming away, and will be able to buy when I get home, so I will be fascinated to see my data, because I must be having some higher readings than I ever capture too.

It's probably worth a chat with your GP, but I imagine, aside from considering reducing the Glic again, and maybe doing some precautionary bloods, the ball will be in your court.

That sounds like sensible advice. I'm off work this week, so I've got the time to carry out the suggested hourly testing. Even if I just do it from 10pm until 10am. Doubt the budget would stretch to a Libre Freestyle right now, but it may be worth the investment if the symptoms at night don't subside. You've gave me great advice & good information again. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.
Ali. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds like sensible advice. I'm off work this week, so I've got the time to carry out the suggested hourly testing. Even if I just do it from 10pm until 10am. Doubt the budget would stretch to a Libre Freestyle right now, but it may be worth the investment if the symptoms at night don't subside. You've gave me great advice & good information again. Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.
Ali. X

It's only giving on what others gave to me. We all have to go through a steep learning curve with this thing.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My experience is that I had night sweats for years. I would wake up dripping. Throughout my 30s and 40s. Learned to sleep with my feet sticking out of the covers.

At the time I knew I was pre-D but never connected the two things. I have screwed hormones, so thought it was that. Used to laugh at friends whinging about menopausal hot flushes and say 'try it for 20 yrs'.

Then I realised I had finally slipped over into type 2, found this forum, learned how to low carb properly (ketogenic, VLC) and the night sweats disappeared.

I have had them occasionally since, usually when my carbs rise a little too high.

Until I get the freestyle libre that @AndBreathe suggested, I will never really know what happens. Repeated attempts to test BG during the night have resulted in me hitting the alarm off and going straight back to sleep.

What I think is happening, is that carbs after 8pm = hypo around 2am = sweats and disturbed sleep = lack of sleep = unstable BG next day = more likely to have a LC wobble = carbs after 8pm = rinse and repeat.

M

mrspuddleduck

Dont know if this will help at all. I was having nightly hypos and false hypos which woke me up mainly due to the horrendous sweats around my neck and face - used to feel I was suffocating! My Diabetic Consultant made me take in a food diary, looked at it and says it always happens 8 hours after your last meal!! (So obvious but I hadnt spotted it!). She suggested nuts!! - low GI, slow release carbs. So about 11pm I have a cuppa and a nutty breakfast bar thingy and the night hypos have stopped completely (so far......). Sue xxx
ps - my b/s were between 2.8 and 5.0 every night

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dont know if this will help at all. I was having nightly hypos and false hypos which woke me up mainly due to the horrendous sweats around my neck and face - used to feel I was suffocating! My Diabetic Consultant made me take in a food diary, looked at it and says it always happens 8 hours after your last meal!! (So obvious but I hadnt spotted it!). She suggested nuts!! - low GI, slow release carbs. So about 11pm I have a cuppa and a nutty breakfast bar thingy and the night hypos have stopped completely (so far......). Sue xxx
ps - my b/s were between 2.8 and 5.0 every night

Hi mrspuddleduck

It's got to be worth a try. I haven't got any nutty breakfast bars in, so I'll have a handful of mixed nuts instead. Thanks for the tip.

Ali. X