Not sure I "escaped"

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
During the pre-op check for cataract removal it was found that I had a very high sugar level. Went to my Doctor who send me to hospital.
On 9/02/2015 had an everything relevant check and was declared Diabetic Type 2.
Quite a shock. Only twice in my adult life have I needed a doctor. (Visits to A&E for a stitch in time don't count). At 77 years old and 92 kilos thought I was "living right" although I could have been more active but since the dog died no more running on the beach.
Anyway! Last Monday after 50 days of a "fierce" diet and being more active I went for a further check. I am 15 kilos lighter and no longer Diabetic
My doctor is pleased. However! I still have to continue taking the tablets - Metformina Teva 500mg twice a day. Next week I have to visit the Dietician
After the euphoria it's back to the real world

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the weight loss.

Do you have a test meter so you can keep an eye on fasting and post prandial readings?
In your shoes I would not be satisfied with occassional blood tests at the doctors - I would want to keep a much closer eye, in future...

Reactions: 2 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Running on the beach at 77 years old, and I thought that Rambo was American. Great results.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and well done on the weight loss. You should find Metformin is not a problem as it's a very safe drug many of us take. If you should have any stomach problems ask for the SR (Slow release) version. I think it's worth a word of warning about NHS dieticians. Many seem to not have a clue when it comes to the right diet for diabetics. You need to keep the carbs down as these are turned to glucose in the body and we are glucose intolerant to the extent the body can't handle them properly. So, politely ignore any advice to have starchy carbs with every meal etc.

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
haven't felt as good in a long time. Went to see the Dietician this morning. wasn't going to go. I can get around in several languages but speaking Italian with a Yorkshire accent is a step too far. Anyway! Silly not to go for such a trivial reason. The Doctor Speaks English and I Italian neither of us perfect but insieme/together we got along just fine. She gave me an Accu-Chek Aviva. What a nice lady. Had a chat about my test results and I got good advice about diet. I was secretly pleased that I was more or less doing things right.
Upon arrival home straight on to the internet to download the English version of the Accu-Chek.. I intend keeping it as a Spare but buying the one from Homehealth which I found on this site. Thanks to those who mentioned it.
I am learning - one day at a time

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Ah, Italy, not UK.
Glad you had a good experience. Hope it continues to go well.

Adam

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great that you are feeling good and well done on the weight loss