I had a leg doppler and now scared

SandyXrssy27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I am 39 years old. 40 Next month. Been Type 2 for 6 years. After Months of complaining that I felt odd in legs. I finally got a leg Doppler to my surprise and also Fright as well. I have a Blocked Artery in Left Leg. I now have to wait until 6th May to find out from Diabetic Nurse where we go from here.
I have lots of other health problems as well.
I am on Low Carb diet. And I stick to it without question. Even got through several Christmas without touching any bad stuff. And been proud of Myself and Now I am scared. I am getting leg Cramps throughout the Day and Night and I am drinking Tonic water at night allowing to help. But every night I wake up in total agony with leg cramps. Due to back Curvature I sleep with Legs Up On Pillow And not had this Problem since I was Diagnosed but 6 months ago it started. I am on so many different pills to help with other health Problems.
I am also getting chest Pains and a bad head I am on warfarin for Blood clots life long. Also Morphine for Migraines and Back ache. 150mg nightly of amitriptyline. Also 3 different inhalers for Asthma. I keep feeling Like my Nose is blocked as well. . I can't get emergency appointment at Docs due to them not having any appointments. Last time I went to A&E I was tested for all sorts and it got to the point that what I went in for never got sorted out. I have Blood test on Wednesday Next week at Hospital. I am starting to feel scared as I feel like all is going wrong. My Mum was Diagnosed at age 38 with Angina. And I seem to be following mum with Health Problems as well.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 39 years old. 40 Next month. Been Type 2 for 6 years. After Months of complaining that I felt odd in legs. I finally got a leg Doppler to my surprise and also Fright as well. I have a Blocked Artery in Left Leg. I now have to wait until 6th May to find out from Diabetic Nurse where we go from here.
I have lots of other health problems as well.
I am on Low Carb diet. And I stick to it without question. Even got through several Christmas without touching any bad stuff. And been proud of Myself and Now I am scared. I am getting leg Cramps throughout the Day and Night and I am drinking Tonic water at night allowing to help. But every night I wake up in total agony with leg cramps. Due to back Curvature I sleep with Legs Up On Pillow And not had this Problem since I was Diagnosed but 6 months ago it started. I am on so many different pills to help with other health Problems.
I am also getting chest Pains and a bad head I am on warfarin for Blood clots life long. Also Morphine for Migraines and Back ache. 150mg nightly of amitriptyline. Also 3 different inhalers for Asthma. I keep feeling Like my Nose is blocked as well. . I can't get emergency appointment at Docs due to them not having any appointments. Last time I went to A&E I was tested for all sorts and it got to the point that what I went in for never got sorted out. I have Blood test on Wednesday Next week at Hospital. I am starting to feel scared as I feel like all is going wrong. My Mum was Diagnosed at age 38 with Angina. And I seem to be following mum with Health Problems as well.
Are you a smoker at all?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I can't comment on any of your other medical issues, or whether they may be contributing to your cramps.

But many of us on low carb find that a low carb diet means that our salt intake is reduced (there is a lot of salt in bread and potato products).

So Most LC experts (e.g. Vollek and Phinney in their book The Art and Science of LC Living) suggest that adding approx 1.5 g of salt back into the diet can help prevent cramps. This can be done however you like - adding salt on food, in soups, even by dropping a stock cube into boiling water and drinking the broth it makes. Even a cup of bovril.

Some people also find supplementing magnesium and/or potassium helps.

Worth a try! I always used to get cramps in hot weather (been low carbing for years) but no longer get them because of this advice.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 4 people

SandyXrssy27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi,

I can't comment on any of your other medical issues, or whether they may be contributing to your cramps.

But many of us on low carb find that a low carb diet means that our salt intake is reduced (there is a lot of salt in bread and potato products).

So Most LC experts (e.g. Vollek and Phinney in their book The Art and Science of LC Living) suggest that adding approx 1.5 g of salt back into the diet can help prevent cramps. This can be done however you like - adding salt on food, in soups, even by dropping a stock cube into boiling water and drinking the broth it makes. Even a cup of bovril.

Some people also find supplementing magnesium and/or potassium helps.

Worth a try! I always used to get cramps in hot weather (been low carbing for years) but no longer get them because of this advice.

Hope this helps.

I will add salt to my Diet and see how that goes. Thank you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I never have smoked and neither does my husband.

That's great news, as its one of the worst things for peripheral disease.

The positive in this is your problem has been found, and treatment worked out, without you being in an acute crisis situation. I hope it goes well for you.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I have an Epsom salt bath once a week which is said to increase magnesium levels. Runners apparently use these baths to prevent cramps. (Not that I am a runner!).

Adele99

Leg cramps can be caused by numerous things, salt, potassium, dehydration, and also if blood flow is reduced by elevating your legs, or crossing them. Smething I never do, as it causes cramps or legs to go completely numb. Recliner chairs are also put. We have raised the head of our bed by about 5 inches using brick blocks, to improve blood flow into my legs, also helps with autonomic nerve damage causing low blood pressure, and my husbands heart burn.

Your GP may if there are no contra indications with your medical history prescribe Quinine tablets for the leg cramps, which sometimes help drinking tonic water is no help, you'd need to drink gallons of it, not recommended.

I've pretty severe reduced circulation in both legs, with several large blockages unsuitable for stent ing or bypass, but fingers crossed so far sufficient flow to keep the tissues alive,. Not enough to walk more than about 30 yards without having to stop and wait for blood flow to return, before starting off again. Makes getting around the town a lengthy business.

Was it a Vascualr consultant who checked your circulation , and did the Doppler. He would have been able to give you an ABI score which you can look up in a chart and it will give you an indication of what stage the reduced flow is. As well as advice on looking after your legs, feet, diet and exercise. Sometimes foot and leg care is referred to the diabetic foot clinic for them to reassess. There is a fair variation in stages, so try not to get too worried, in the majority of cases , it is simply monitored for further deterioration, and if you follow the advice given can remain unchanged for many years.

Hope things go well for you, Best Wishes.

rockwidow

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. The leg cramps you get at night do you also get them when you are walking? As far as I am aware quinine like in tonic water is not routinely prescribed for cramp although some people find it beneficial.
Many people have reduced blood supply to their feet and legs.If you have had a doppler assessment did they do an ABPI? This would involve taking blood pressure at your arm and also at your ankle, did you have a scan like an MRI or dupplex which shows your blood vessels up or did they just put some gel on acouple of points on your foot and listen to the sounds?