Newly diagnosed type 1, wanting to make friends!

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heyyyy everyone!

I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this week. I was admitted to hospital on Sunday with polydysia, polyuria and diabetes ketoneacidosis.

Has anyone else experienced this??

My readings vary from 10.9 to 30.9. My ketones are up and down and I'm on bolus and basal insulin injections.

I am after making some new friends who can give me advice/tips about my condition and treatment. Also, about carbs and diet. I am 30 years old and living in essex. I would love to hear from you all. Xxx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi
Welcome!! (or not- really wish you hadn't joined our exclusive club)- but we are a great bunch of people to join up with.

Have you had a good basis on being able to carb count.. I do advise getting the carbs & cals app or pocket size book to help with this. Have you worked out how many carbs you eat as an average per day?

Have you been started off on a fixed amount of basal and bolus insulin?

Friend made!!

Reactions: 2 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum. I'm one of the luckier ones being Type 2 diet controlled so probably not much help in the advice department but there are a lot of experienced T1s on here that are more than happy to help.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Zoewilko

Hello Zoe and welcome to the forum :)

You are sure to make some friends here! This is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be along to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply!!

I'll be honest with you, I have no clue as yet to how the carbs and calls work but I've heard about it. I got told I can go on a course after 6 months to learn how to do it all. I've tried to cut down my carbs already but I don't really know what I'm doing to be fair. It's all still trial and error at the moment.

I am on a fixed level for my night insulin at the moment and I've just upped my day time insulin as I was admitted to hospital yesterday with high sugars and ketones AGAIN!! Xxx

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey Zoe, sounds like your being really positive about it so far and not letting it get you down!

This forum is so helpful you will really benefit from browsing around and having a good read :)

You will probably have to adjust your insulin amounts a few times till you get it right, it's all trial n error, cutting carbs is defo going to help you and your sugars be more stable :)

Don't be scared to ask any questions you might have, nothing is silly, I still ask all sorts & ive had type 1 for 25 years now!

Abbie :)

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't realise how many smiley faces I put in that post.. I'm clearly very smiley.... :)

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Zoe

It all seems very confusing when you are first diagnosed but you will be surprised how quickly you become an expert!

Things will get easier in time but in the meantime there are plenty of wise people willing to offer advice and encouragement on this forum :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Zoe
Would you be able to list the qtys of insulin you take, the times and results of blood tests.

Hopefully (i'm hopeless) someone will come along with links to the online courses that will give you a greater knowledge of carbs.

Basics: if you are rusing more than 3.0 -2-3 hours after a bolus for eating then you need more bolus. All other times will be your basal that needs checking and possibly adjusting.
That is just a rough guide... But you need to be taking advice from your consultant unless you are comfortable with changing doses.

Cutting carbs does allow you to make less errors in calculations... But initially we need to try and help you to avoid hospital readmittance....

You will have a tough time and a steep learning curve in the next few weeks but we are here for you.

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying to be as positive as I can be but to be honest I'm finding it hard, especially after being admitted yesterday. I know it will get easier, it just feels like information overload at times.

I'm so pleased I've found this forum so I can talk to you all as you all seem so relaxed and informative about it all.

I currently take basal before bed, 7 units. And then 4 units before mealtimes (bolus??) although I think I need way more than this!!

I will be speaking to my diabetic nurse tomorrow as she was unavailable over the weekend. It's all early days still so will take time, I know, but it's nice to talk to all of you. Xxx

G

gemma6549

Hi Zoe

I'm a similar age to yourself, been type 1 for 14 years. I only did DAFNE 2 1/2 years ago and since feel like I started all over again!!

If you can do the course in 6 months time that will be great, I think I spent all my years before that just doing guess work!

There is so much more information out there now and on here that will allow to to get really good control.

Once your stable you will feel much better and realise life can pretty much go on as it did before :)

I'm not in Essex but all of my family are :) x

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks hun!

I wish I could do the course now but they said I had to wait 6 months??

Did you find it easy to start with?? Xxx

G

gemma6549

Thanks hun!

I wish I could do the course now but they said I had to wait 6 months??

Did you find it easy to start with?? Xxx

When I was first diagnosed I think I was still honeymooning so I found getting good control quite easy and was only on small doses. That stayed that way for a couple of years. I was on different insulin then.

Once I needed higher doses I changed to the lantus and novo rapid.

Once I was put forward for DAFNE I had to wait about a year to get on the course, but it really did change everything for me and my control has been great since.

I found splitting my background and taking half in the morning and half at night worked best for me but you will need a bit of time to settle first before tweaking things.

You will be fine, the information on insulin and carbs is really helpful, I didn't find out about injecting for carbs until I was 26!!

:) x

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow!! I've heard a bit about it but since I've only been diagnosed this week it's all so new still.

Do you drive?

Do you have many hypos or do you go hyper??

Sorry for loads of questions lol.. xxx

G

gemma6549

Oh wow!! I've heard a bit about it but since I've only been diagnosed this week it's all so new still.

Do you drive?

Do you have many hypos or do you go hyper??

Sorry for loads of questions lol.. xxx

Don't be sorry, questions are fine :)

Yes I drive, never had any problems there or when it comes to doing the license renewal every 3 years.

At the moment I don't really have any hypers, and have a hypo maybe once a week/fortnight , use them to have a couple of my favourite sweets :) x

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a good idea actually! Haha!

Have you found it hard changing your diet? What sort of meals do you have? I'm a carbs fan, I love stodgy food so I'm finding it hard to adjust my diet to suit it.

I'm constantly hyper at the moment although I did have a hypo in hospital where I went to 3.1. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi Zoe
I am type 1 diagnosed last September. I did the DAFNE course last month and it is brilliant
In the meantime there is a great book and app called Carbs and cals. It's a good starting point to get an idea of how many carbs you are eating.
It does get easier, promise

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you!

How did you get diagnosed? Did you have any symptoms??

What are your sugar levels like now?? Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I had lost about 1 and half stone in 5 weeks. Was drinking 10L water a day and about 4 cans monster energy drink!!! Just felt pants really. Was admitted with Ketones of 7.2 and bs of 25.
I am now between 4.5 and 7 90% of the time, I'm in the honeymoon period so that makes life easier a bit. You might find your levels drop rapidly if you enter the honeymoon period and your insulin needs will drop too. I went down to just 5 units of lantus fir a couple of weeks!!!