first day out with the pump

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
tomorrow will be a test of the pump and me.
i normally meet my dad in the nearest town on a Saturday morning for a few beers but this will be the first time with the pump.
For me to get to the pub it is 2 buses take me an hour + to get there. and due to the bad bus service sometimes 2 + hours to get home and its only 2 mile away .
I'm going out tomorrow Monday hoping that the buses are going to be more on time
I'm a bit worried because i don't know what to expect with the new pump.and waiting 2 hours for the bus.
This is one of many trials i will just have to practice unit i get it right.;)

Reactions: 5 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Good luck with it.

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Goods luck, bring plenty of sweets with you, a spare insulin pen & some needles just in case, at least then you have all the bases covered. I panic if I'm out without my sweets! Have fun! :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You'll be fine @caretaker, just be sure to take back-up supplies with you and fast-acting glucose, hope you have a great day.

Reactions: 2 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
As noblehead said you'll be ok take some back up stuff and glucose whether a drink or sweets, and just enjoy yourself you'll soon forget about the pump as that will just be doing its job in the background. Enjoy

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
So, how did you get on yesterday? :)

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So, how did you get on yesterday? :)
Not to good.. For years i have done this day out with my dad and i always drink real ale if i can.5% + and 5 pints over 3 hours.and with injecting i had it cracked by late afternoon down to target BG .
But the pump is a different animal.
i think i'am so fine tuned now that real ale might be out of the question. only had 2 pints .
and was drunk under the table by my father a 78 year old ex-docker. :(:)

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
Ha - I doubt that it would be the Pump............perhaps you are a lightweight :D:D

At least it's cheaper when you go out now

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ha - I doubt that it would be the Pump............perhaps you are a lightweight :D:D

At least it's cheaper when you go out now
not blaming the pump but real ale at 35 carbs a pint with out the instant large amount of wont i would have injected in the past and with a morning 40 units and an evening 45 units basal running behind in.the background. and achieving HbA1C 7
there's no point in being silly. and after 2 pints having a BG of 17.
1 hour later..
...no lightweight and no ketones:D