Im Sulking...............

M

mrspuddleduck

Am I the only person who has not been sent on a diabetes course? Yes I know that Im a problem patient, that Im not a 'normal' type 1 so Im complicated, that Im only a 'sort of LADA' to some people, and as Im over 25 according to my areas heath authority I can 'only' be a type 2 but as Im not I shouldnt really exist, but Im feeling left out............ ;-) :-D

Sue xxxx

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Am I the only person who has not been sent on a diabetes course? Yes I know that Im a problem patient, that Im not a 'normal' type 1 so Im complicated, that Im only a 'sort of LADA' to some people, and as Im over 25 according to my areas heath authority I can 'only' be a type 2 but as Im not I shouldnt really exist, but Im feeling left out............ ;-) :-D

Sue xxxx

Hello there and welcome.

33 years type 1. I have never been sent and I have never attended a diabetes course of any description.

It's fantastic there are so many out there these days but I am in no position to talk about them as they have never been part of my own experience.

Just wanted you to know that I've been a course virgin for 33 years !

Reactions: 4 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Kevin, I've only been diabetic for 6 months and have not been offered a "course", thank heavens. I appreciate some people do find these courses very helpful, but I'm happy to read up about diabetes and learn from the forum, rather than sit in a "classroom" for hours on end and then probably forget half of what I've been told:rolleyes:

Reactions: 7 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
believe me You havent missed much.
I went on the X pert course last May,I was given Volime 7 book ,way out of date,I think they on volume 12 now,told to eat plenty of carbs,I didnt know any different until I joined the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

Julie702

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed type 2 last August. Never been asked to go on a course, but have had a diabetic eye test.

Then again, never had a blood test, which makes my 3 month check up now 5 months overdue. I have been sulking too :)

That said, I'm following lchf and hearing the stories about the courses and diabetic nurses' reactions to low carb I think I'm best off dong my own thing. I can't help thinking they have forgotten me though...

Thank goodness for the forum!

Should add that I'm a checker and I'm happy with my BG levels.

Reactions: 6 people

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi Kevin, I've only been diabetic for 6 months and have not been offered a "course", thank heavens. I appreciate some people do find these courses very helpful, but I'm happy to read up about diabetes and learn from the forum, rather than sit in a "classroom" for hours on end and then probably forget half of what I've been told:rolleyes:

Hi June,

Granted I have three decades experience of living with this illness but I am a strong advocate of learning by my own experiences and taking guidance from those who actually know what I'm talking about...... Other diabetics.

Continue reading up and staying close to the forum June. Your always full of questions and you question yourself. I've been doing that for 33 years and it's worked for me.

I will add though that I do respect my diabetes team and they help me also

Each to their own though but courses are not for me !

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
No I have never been asked to attend any course, but even if one was offered I would refuse.
Why would I waste my time listening to someone who doesn't have diabetes, telling me to eat a high carb/low fat diet.
I would rather learn from the people on this forum who know exactly what I am going through, and don't think I am to blame because I am carrying a few extra pounds.

Reactions: 14 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi June,

Granted I have three decades experience of living with this illness but I am a strong advocate of learning by my own experiences and taking guidance from those who actually know what I'm talking about...... Other diabetics.

Continue reading up and staying close to the forum June. Your always full of questions and you question yourself. I've been doing that for 33 years and it's worked for me.

I will add though that I do respect my diabetes team and they help me also

Each to their own though but courses are not for me !
I fully intend to stay with the forum, I've learned so much in a very short space of time. I accept I'm a newbie and have oodles that I still have to learn, but I'm staying put. My diabetic team have been very good, but there's no way I would have expanded my knowledge about Diabetes without the Forum's help. I'd have still been following their guidelines that a third of your diet should be carbs for a start.........:rolleyes:

Reactions: 8 people
G

gemma6549

It was 12 years before I went on a course and I had to beg for a place but I'm glad I did. Changed my life

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was offered DAFNE years ago but told about BDEC at the same time. I opted for BDEC as I couldn't take the time off work. I reckon it was as good.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 24 when diagnosed with Type 1 and was in my 50s when offered my one and only course. The first half was mainly a waste of time but the rest was very helpful.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I've never been sent on a course either. I got couple if leaflets and that was it. I'm type 2. Maybe that's why?

melissa589

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't sulk, I appreciate some people to find these courses. I think we can read up diabetes and learn from this forum, rather than sit in a classroom for hours on end then probably forget half of what I have been told.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the BDEC online one certainly gave me most of what I know. Only things I really learned when I did DAFNE was sick day rules.

If you live in UK you should be able to sign up online at http://bdec-e-learning.com/ and run through the course.

Julie702

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed type 2 last August. Never been asked to go on a course, but have had a diabetic eye test.

Then again, never had a blood test, which makes my 3 month check up now 5 months overdue. I have been sulking too :)

That said, I'm following lchf and hearing the stories about the courses and diabetic nurses' reactions to low carb I think I'm best off dong my own thing. I can't help thinking they have forgotten me though...

Thank goodness for the forum!

Should add that I'm a checker and I'm happy with my BG levels.

Weird! After all that waiting I received an invite for a review today. I wonder if someone from my practice is watching!! :nurse:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
30+ years T1 never been on a course. Have a pump too.

I think I've had better health from not going on a course. I was told 30+ years ago how to calculate exchanges and have so many exchanges a day etc... That was by a nurse on my hospital stopover on disgnosis.

Have remained slim and in good health with keeping to my own lifestyle of eating.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
30+ years T1 never been on a course. Have a pump too.

I think I've had better health from not going on a course. I was told 30+ years ago how to calculate exchanges and have so many exchanges a day etc... That was by a nurse on my hospital stopover on disgnosis.

Have remained slim and in good health with keeping to my own lifestyle of eating.
Ah shut it you with your pump and no DAFNE. Making me sulk now

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you are LADA you fall thru the cracks. I've never had a course and to be honest wouldn't want to hear a load of nonsense from NHS non-experts. Everything I've ever needed I got from this forum and the web plus a bit from my excellent diabetes nurse.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows

Sue xxxx
Hi mrspuddleduck
I'm in kent too☺
Whereabouts are you