Newly diagnosed type 1, wanting to make friends!

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
There is no right or wrong foods, you just have to keep a food diary and see how the foods effect your bs a couple of hours after eating
Cornflakes really spike some people but not others, toast is the same, some people cant tolerate it, others can. Check your bs often and make decisions on your diet choices based on those results.
It is a good point about more insulin for breakfast. Some people have varying ratios of carbs to insulin for each meal, you will learn all of this in the next few weeks through trial and error.
Do you change your own doses of fast acting depending on what you eat or are you on a set amount for each meal?

Reactions: 2 people
G

gemma6549

Aww sorry to hear you developed an eating disorder. Can only imagine how much harder it must be for you. Xxx

It's not so bad, it's not the diabetes I hate it's myself!! :) but I'm dealing with that a lot better now and I'm less hard on myself.

The general rule with carbs is that 10grams requires 1 unit of fast acting insulin. This can vary from person to person though, some require 2 units and some 3.

I personally use the 1 unit ratio but increase this to 2 in the morning as I tend to get the dawn phenomenon which causes an early morning rise in blood sugar.

I also find I have to increase to a 2:1 ratio the week before my period so this is something to watch out for x

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm currently on a set amount which I got told to up yesterday by the hospital. I'm speaking to my diabetic nurse tomorrow so hopefully she'll let me take control more or up my slow release insulin. Xxx

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not so bad, it's not the diabetes I hate it's myself!! :) but I'm dealing with that a lot better now and I'm less hard on myself.

The general rule with carbs is that 10grams requires 1 unit of fast acting insulin. This can vary from person to person though, some require 2 units and some 3.

I personally use the 1 unit ratio but increase this to 2 in the morning as I tend to get the dawn phenomenon which causes an early morning rise in blood sugar.

I also find I have to increase to a 2:1 ratio the week before my period so this is something to watch out for x

Thank you. That is definitely something to bare in mind as I wasn't aware of that either. Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Being on a set dose is difficult but it is the starting point I was on too
I quickly went on to adjusting the quick acting to match my foods rather than matching my food to the amount of insulin the DSN had told me to take, I am sure you will too
It is the old saying of not running before you can walk etc but you will get there
This thread alone has probably confused you, real large amount of info to be had here
Just remember no question is a silly question and we are all in the same boat at the end of the day

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
for reference in the honeymoon period I am on 1 unit of insulin for 20g of carbs roughly

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being on a set dose is difficult but it is the starting point I was on too
I quickly went on to adjusting the quick acting to match my foods rather than matching my food to the amount of insulin the DSN had told me to take, I am sure you will too
It is the old saying of not running before you can walk etc but you will get there
This thread alone has probably confused you, real large amount of info to be had here
Just remember no question is a silly question and we are all in the same boat at the end of the day

I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Its nice to talk to people in the same boat. I felt like I'd been dropped in at the deep end when i had first found out. It's nice to know I can turn to you all xxx

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Do you test 2 hours after meals? You need to do this teally to help your dsn to establish your food bolus's...

You will also need to find out during next few weeks what to do if you get sick.. I mean just a cold etc...or if you had say real physical sick....

There is huge amounts of info to take on board... You are only a week into a life changing illness (in some ways) but you will get there.

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
I really appreciate all of your help and advice. Its nice to talk to people in the same boat. I felt like I'd been dropped in at the deep end when i had first found out. It's nice to know I can turn to you all xxx
Any questions just ask, always somebody here will have been through exactly the same things
It is a great place to be a member of and a real help

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you test 2 hours after meals? You need to do this teally to help your dsn to establish your food bolus's...

You will also need to find out during next few weeks what to do if you get sick.. I mean just a cold etc...or if you had say real physical sick....

There is huge amounts of info to take on board... You are only a week into a life changing illness (in some ways) but you will get there.

Yes I test two hours after a meal. I also got told if I'm sick to keep drinking and keep doing my insulin. Try to have liquid foods too. Also to keep an eye out on the levels and test for ketones too if needed.

Do you class diabetes as an illness or a condition?? Xxx

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Never really thought about that, but I guess I think of it as a condition

Zoewilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had a hypo yet??

I had one in the hospital during the week with a reading of 3.1. Although they woke me up to check my levels and found out I was having a hypo so I just thought it was all from where I'd woken up! Xxx

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi Zoe and a massive welcome.

Your positivity is fantastic and that is so needed with this illness and you have found this forum also.

Keep close and before you know it your'll know the ins and outs. Though at times they can become inside outs but thats what this forums for.

Your'll get everything you need here Zoe :)

And look at the friends you've made already !

Welcome...

Reactions: 3 people