Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello Susi,
The recipe is already on the 'Low Carb Recipes' thread and is called Ellie's Ginger Nut biscuits. Enjoy.

I've tried finding this but I'm on my phone, will try again tomorrow at work, can anyone post a link to it please ? :)

Reactions: 2 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Posted brekky & dinner earlier

Tea was 4 meat style veggie burgers, half a baked potato - sliced, 4 large mushrooms also sliced.... all fried in butter.

had a bit of cheese as a snack with a few red grapes..... may have some sugar free chocolate later.... not sure yet

EDIT - had some of that stratiacelli almond cake too .... tested again and a half inch piece takes me up a whole 1.0 on the bs scale...... quite surprised at that with all I've read about it...... especially as quite a few really low carbers eat it too..... :confused::confused:

probbly the baked potato and grapes that spiked your sugars not the almond cake,,,,almond flour bakin food dont spike me sugars like potato or grapes would

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

probbly the baked potato and grapes that spiked your sugars not the almond cake,,,,almond flour bakin food dont spike me sugars like potato or grapes would
Nope, didn't spike with the spuds.....snacks are always eaten after my 2 hour "post" reading to be sure I'm OK to have it....but thanks for making the suggestion.....

I think I had the cake mid afternoon before my tea tbh... Should perhaps write food and snacks in order eaten.....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Jan, what kind of veggie burgers are you eating? Some of them can be quite high depending on whether they are Quorn, tvp, soya or other bean. Times that by 4 and throw in half a potato and the carbs will soon add up. I like the Sainsbury's own meat free ones, but haven't been able to get them recently.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking for ideas for when I finish VLCD. I have been around the forums for a while now, but even I am confused in here. Reading about baked potatoes, wine, cake with choc chips added, M&Ms, rice, etc, is making me wonder how low carb do some people go? Some of the suggestions in here remind me of the 'carbs with every meal, at least 8 portions a day' advice that was dished out as a healthy diet by a nurse following the NHS / Eatwell model.

Which got me into this T2 mess in the first place.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would find it helpful to have clarification of how to measure amount of carbs. What exactly is the definition of 'low carb'. It would really help if this could be explained, not just for me, but for people who don't post. I ask because there seems to be different interpretations in here. This is the LOW CARB forum is it not?

C

catherinecherub

Some posts from this thread have been moved to the Moderator's forum as several posts have been reported and may be edited/deleted before they may reappear.

Personal remarks and belittling other members are breaking forum rules so please bear this in mind before posting as sometimes it is better to use the PM system rather than posting contentious remarks.

I would hate to see this thread closed as it serves a useful purpose but if this behaviour continue then that will be something that has to be considered.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I would find it helpful to have clarification of how to measure amount of carbs. What exactly is the definition of 'low carb'. It would really help if this could be explained, not just for me, but for people who don't post. I ask because there seems to be different interpretations in here. This is the LOW CARB forum is it not?

Easiest way to measure @Pipp is to use the Carbs & Cals book or something like MyFitnessPal.

As for amounts, a possible categorisation could be

Very low carb (ketogenic) - less than 50 g carbs/day
Typical low carb 50-90 g
Liberal low carb 90-130 g

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

...I would hate to see this thread closed as it serves a useful purpose but if this behaviour continue then that will be something that has to be considered.

This used to be one of my favourite threads here as it was a great resource, but feel a lot of it is off topic now. I can't believe I am saying this, but perhaps if it were to be deleted it would not be a bad thing and a new one with LOW CARB in the title would be more helpful and clear for confused new members. Just an idea :)

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Can I suggest for the benefit of newbies that they bear in mind that those of us who are diabetic, even if we have managed to get back to non-diabetic levels, still have more impaired pancreatic function and likely greater insulin resistance than those fortunate enough to have just dipped in and out of prediabetic status. So we have to be very careful with our carbs.

By all means try things out but use your meter to see how you respond and if necessary add those foods to your 'no' list.

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I would hate to see this thread closed as it serves a useful purpose but if this behaviour continue then that will be something that has to be considered.

Hi @catherinecherub

I think @Pipp might have raised a valid point. I wouldn't have a clue as I only visit this thread occasionally, but I assumed it was "low carb" focused as well ..... or is it open to everything? Dunno the history of what was said (and I don't care) but my vote would be to keep it going.

Mike :)

C

catherinecherub

This used to be one of my favourite threads here as it was a great resource, but feel a lot of it is off topic now. I can't believe I am saying this, but perhaps if it were to be deleted it would not be a bad thing and a new one with LOW CARB in the title would be more helpful and clear for confused new members. Just an idea :)

You are welcome to put your suggestion forward to @Giverny or @Administrator because it cannot go on as it has done recently.

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
Caved in and had a slice of toast, but it was Burgen bread so I`m letting myself off ;)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For what it's worth, I think Avocado's suggestion a great one. Obviously people like to post what they have eaten so a thread somewhere say on the type 2 forum might be suitable as the original purpose of this thread was to provide ideas for low carb menus, hence it being located in the low carb forum. For the sake of inclusivity , all people should feel they have somewhere to share and post with like minded individuals - the issue here is surely one of clarity, relevance and possible confusion for any new members who may not appreciate that some of the foods mentioned are not a staple of low carbing because they have been posted on what is supposedly a low carb forum. I love to read everyone's menus and am sure that having separate posting places would not be too onerous,

Reactions: 6 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Based on this feedback, this thread will be closed and a new one re-opened.

Edit: Please see the new Low Carb thread here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.