Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Hi Kaz,
Glad you've had a chat with the boss, hope that working patterns can be made more diabetic friendly.
If your HbA1C is low, then the spikes are probably not a significant part of your blood sugar load. Try not to fret. However, finding ways around them will be good.
I will post my new HbA1C when it arrives. I've only had one, it was over 100!
Best wishes
Adam

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't remember if you have said what your BS levels are, but I can say that if mine are either high or low then it does effect my mental state. Low tends to send me very agitated, twitch and physically shaky. If they go high then I get tired, grumpy overly emotional, and unable to concentrate. I basically start to behave like a tired 3 year old. Fortunately I now realise what is happening and why and can do something about it, even if it is just running up and down the stairs a few times.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kaz,
Glad you've had a chat with the boss, hope that working patterns can be made more diabetic friendly.
If your HbA1C is low, then the spikes are probably not a significant part of your blood sugar load. Try not to fret. However, finding ways around them will be good.
I will post my new HbA1C when it arrives. I've only had one, it was over 100!
Best wishes
Adam

i dont understand the new numbers on HBa1C! lol i just ask them to tell me what it was in the old way.. i.e what my average BS result is.. 7.6 etc
hope that makes sense? haha!! Not alot of diabetic stuff makes sense to me lol
good luck with the results!!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't remember if you have said what your BS levels are, but I can say that if mine are either high or low then it does effect my mental state. Low tends to send me very agitated, twitch and physically shaky. If they go high then I get tired, grumpy overly emotional, and unable to concentrate. I basically start to behave like a tired 3 year old. Fortunately I now realise what is happening and why and can do something about it, even if it is just running up and down the stairs a few times.

yes i get the same things!!
i have been unusually moody lately! and i think its because im an idiot and giving in to cravings too much! now ive started the LCHF thing.. im already seeing results at bedtime! ive still let myself have a couple of mini potatoes.. not half a plate full!! ive had a small bit of chocolate too.. but thats because i go straight out for a doggy walk after.. my sugars are improving already, and im soo happy its working! i just hope the weight comes off now!!

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just wondering..
does anyone think that eating at 7.30 at night is too late for a diabetic? as my shifts are often late ones.. 6.16pm finishes... drive home get changed prepare and cook food etc. it can be quite late eating. however my boss has agreed to let me finish no later that 5, apart from one day a week. i feel like i am being unfair on the other staff though.. :-( would i be better eating at around 6-6.30 every night? or am i ok at 7.30? does it make a difference to a diabetic? x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just wondering..
does anyone think that eating at 7.30 at night is too late for a diabetic? as my shifts are often late ones.. 6.16pm finishes... drive home get changed prepare and cook food etc. it can be quite late eating. however my boss has agreed to let me finish no later that 5, apart from one day a week. i feel like i am being unfair on the other staff though.. :-( would i be better eating at around 6-6.30 every night? or am i ok at 7.30? does it make a difference to a diabetic? x
I think eat when you want, my eating times are all over the place and it doesn't seem to matter

Phlogiston

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, ofsted inspectors, uninvited phonecalls
Eating times are probably something individual.
My father in law likes rigid eating times, but he's been like this all his life and his BS is not very well controlled (follows nhs advice and too old to comprehend low carbs).
I find that variable eating times do not seem too much of a problem for me. Doesn't mean you'll be the same though.
Adam

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I am best if I can make sure that the gap between meals is between 3 and 5 hours, so to eat at 7.30 I would need to be have lunch at about 3.30 ish. Less than 3 hours and my BS won't have dropped to my normal pre meal level, more than 5 hours and I start to drop too much and my liver seem overly enthusiastic in dumping glucose into my blood stream which also puts my pre meal level higher than I would like. If I know I will have to go more than 5 hours between eating I try and have a low carb snack, something containing about 5 - 10g of carbs as this seems to be enough to hold my BS stable and prevent a liver dump.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I am best if I can make sure that the gap between meals is between 3 and 5 hours, so to eat at 7.30 I would need to be have lunch at about 3.30 ish. Less than 3 hours and my BS won't have dropped to my normal pre meal level, more than 5 hours and I start to drop too much and my liver seem overly enthusiastic in dumping glucose into my blood stream which also puts my pre meal level higher than I would like. If I know I will have to go more than 5 hours between eating I try and have a low carb snack, something containing about 5 - 10g of carbs as this seems to be enough to hold my BS stable and prevent a liver dump.

thank you! it just shows how different we all are! im happier eating a little earlier and i want to get a nice routine going as soon as i can :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We rarely eat that early, because we fit our evening meal around my partner's shifts.
And now the evenings are longer, I often take the dogs out immediately after work and before eating.
I don't find it a problem.

However, I do make sure that I have easy, instant snacks available at all times - if you open my fridge and cupboards you will always find a few of the following:
Cheese slices
Mattersons sausage
Yoghurt (Greek full fat)
Pork scratchings
9bars
Berries and cream
70% choc
Sunflower seeds
Nuts
Nut butters

So if I find myself going too long between lunch and evening meal, there is always something available.

And I've learned to have something in my bag 24/7. Just in case.

I have a history of hypos, so have learned to eat before I feel wobbly, shakey or spacey. That way I keep on an even keel.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We rarely eat that early, because we fit our evening meal around my partner's shifts.
And now the evenings are longer, I often take the dogs out immediately after work and before eating.
I don't find it a problem.

However, I do make sure that I have easy, instant snacks available at all times - if you open my fridge and cupboards you will always find a few of the following:
Cheese slices
Mattersons sausage
Yoghurt (Greek full fat)
Pork scratchings
9bars
Berries and cream
70% choc
Sunflower seeds
Nuts
Nut butters

So if I find myself going too long between lunch and evening meal, there is always something available.

And I've learned to have something in my bag 24/7. Just in case.

I have a history of hypos, so have learned to eat before I feel wobbly, shakey or spacey. That way I keep on an even keel.

I have bought cheese slices and babybels, celery, carrots, seeds and nuts to snack on.. along with coleslaw!
i have berries for breakfast with greek yoghurt, and a few oats and seeds..
what are 9bars?! not heard of them!
i did buy some 'naked' bars today, with fruit and nuts, which are free of alsorts, and not even cooked. ive got them for emergencies, to keep in my bag :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh! Be careful of those naked bars. They sweeten them with dates, which are VERY high in sugar...

9 bars are snack bars made of seeds and nuts. They come in several flavours (I have learned to avoid the fruity ones!). Despite looking as though they are quite carby, they actually seem very slow release, and work very well for me.

I find them in tescos, Asda or buy them direct online. Worth shopping around for when they are on special.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ooh! Be careful of those naked bars. They sweeten them with dates, which are VERY high in sugar...

9 bars are snack bars made of seeds and nuts. They come in several flavours (I have learned to avoid the fruity ones!). Despite looking as though they are quite carby, they actually seem very slow release, and work very well for me.

I find them in tescos, Asda or buy them direct online. Worth shopping around for when they are on special.

ahh right ok! ill keep the fruit ones for emergencies then! the plain nut and seed ones will be for a quick hit before my zumba class if my lunch break is an early one at work!!
ill have a look for them thanks! are they in the 'free from' sections? or same place as the breakfast bars?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Revealing guilty secret: we get deliveries. I try to avoid the shopping trolley bumper car rally whenever possible (sets my back off, every time).

I think they are in the snack bar section of Asda. Maybe. ;)

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Revealing guilty secret: we get deliveries. I try to avoid the shopping trolley bumper car rally whenever possible (sets my back off, every time).

I think they are in the snack bar section of Asda. Maybe. ;)

haha!! i love doing my shopping! im sooo picky, i dont like the idea of someone else choosing my fresh food!! fussy i know!! lol

Reactions: 3 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to enjoy my food shopping days too, but husband took over this "duty" when he retired early , and has since decided that online shopping is the way to go. I do miss both choosing fresh fruits and veggies, and having a nosey round to see what looks good. But one advantage of online shopping is that I can view the nutritional labelling at my leisure!

Robbity

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to enjoy my food shopping days too, but husband took over this "duty" when he retired early , and has since decided that online shopping is the way to go. I do miss both choosing fresh fruits and veggies, and having a nosey round to see what looks good. But one advantage of online shopping is that I can view the nutritional labelling at my leisure!

Robbity
well im not sure i could keep myself out of the supermarket! i would still have to pop in once a week! hahah!!

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You can get rye bread from Sainsburys and Holland and barret I think they both do pumpanikle bread to. I don't do low carb as such be I keep and eye on my carbs

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to do my shopping early Saturday as Asda is quite civilised at that time, I like to be able to chose my own items, you see the staff packing the multi basket trolleys and just throwing things in. I have heard people say they do click and collect for tinned and packaged items, and then go in and pick their own meat and veg out when they collect the rest, seem to be a reasonable compromise if you really hate doing the shopping.

kazlincs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to do my shopping early Saturday as Asda is quite civilised at that time, I like to be able to chose my own items, you see the staff packing the multi basket trolleys and just throwing things in. I have heard people say they do click and collect for tinned and packaged items, and then go in and pick their own meat and veg out when they collect the rest, seem to be a reasonable compromise if you really hate doing the shopping.
that sounds like a good idea! but i think i will stick with my shopping myself :)