Dexcom G4 CGM - transmitter check?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok my sensors have arrived so I am back in the game guys!

But - worried that my transmitter may have packed in. Is there any way I can check that the transmitter is still working, before inserting a sensor? I don't want to lose £65 on a wasted sensor on top of £300 odd for a new transmitter.

If I do a Start Sensor sequence without the sensor inserted, or even without it connected to the transmitter, what happens? Is what happens enough to tell me if the transmitter is working or not?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok my sensors have arrived so I am back in the game guys!

But - worried that my transmitter may have packed in. Is there any way I can check that the transmitter is still working, before inserting a sensor? I don't want to lose £65 on a wasted sensor on top of £300 odd for a new transmitter.

If I do a Start Sensor sequence without the sensor inserted, or even without it connected to the transmitter, what happens? Is what happens enough to tell me if the transmitter is working or not?

I'd say try it as usual. If it works, great. If not, well I managed to swap to a new transmitter half way through a sensor's life. You have to be careful but not too difficult.

Reactions: 2 people

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking a bit more, your idea of starting the sensor without inserting it might work - there will probably be errors but as long as you can get to the Settings/Device Info screen you can check the battery
If it doesn't work "Stop Sensor" should get you out of it.
All at your own risk of course..Good Luck!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm thinking that the transmitter "sleeps" unless there is a sensor connected across its two circular metal contacts on its base. I've tried to Start the session anyway. In the Dexcom receiver, Settings, Device Info, there is a section called Transmitter Battery. It shows "- - -"

Anyone with a Dexcom receiver know what that display should show with a working transmitter?

It's not conclusive though. Might just mean that the transmitter is sleeping without a sensor attached. I will check in a couple of hours after the calibration sequence fails. If that doesn't tell me anything I will see if there's a way to attach the transmitter to the sensor without inserting. It should be possible, there's a way to get the plunger thingy back on after use / insertion so maybe I can remove the plunger without insertion and then maybe reattach the plunger later.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd say try it as usual. If it works, great. If not, well I managed to swap to a new transmitter half way through a sensor's life. You have to be careful but not too difficult.
Problem being, how long will it take Animas to ship me a new transmitter? These sensors took about a week.

At the very least I should probably attempt the insertion on a Monday morning. :)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh curse this mobile app for losing my post!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It just says "Transmitter Battery: OK" & shows the transmitter ID

I got my transmitter from Advanced Therapeutics so can't help there.

Don't suppose you've kept an old dead sensor you can try..

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After 20 minutes of the "no transmitter" icon I got the Out of Range warning. Decided to Stop Sensor and try again with the sensor attached to the transmitter (but not to me) .

It was easy actually to remove the plunger from the sensor just by squeezing the side grips like normal when inserting or removing the transmitter. Getting the mandarin back through the sensor later will no doubt be a mission though!

Here goes:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Detached sensor attached to transmitter.

Attachments

• 1429287586853.jpg
    1429287586853.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 446

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't suppose you've kept an old dead sensor you can try..

Did you mean transmitters or sensors?

I've got two dead transmitters - or possibly three! But I expect the dead ones will always say "- - -"

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Didn't work, I got Out of Range again. I think that means the transmitter is dead.

Oh well, at least I didn't waste a sensor. Assuming I can thread the mandarin back through it.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Getting the mandarin back into the sensor was surprisingly not impossible.

First I had to flick the sensor up on its hinge out of its clear plastic housing. I just used a fingernail.

Then making sure that the plunger is the right way round, insert the mandarin needle into the top centre of the thin edge of the sensor. There is a square hole in the plastic there. You have to use a slight amount of force to push the mandarin past what look like and feel two rubber stoppers embedded in the sensor. Make sure the fingers you are holding the sensor with are not anywhere near the big hole in the bottom of the sensor housing where the mandarin emerges during insertion. Keep everything clean, and don't remove the big safety clip from the plunger at any point. Once the mandarin is back through the sensor, the plunger clicks easily back into place in the sensor housing.

Of course I may have completely destroyed the sensor's cannula, I will just have to see if it works when I actually insert it.

I think we are in "don't try this at home" territory, kids! :)

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did you mean transmitters or sensors?

I've got two dead transmitters - or possibly three! But I expect the dead ones will always say "- - -"

I meant a sensor to "make the circuit" with the transmitter which is what you did with the new one.

I'm not sure my DIY skills are up to the battery replacement though I might ask around amongst friends to see if anyone fancies giving it a go.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would try that!

I saw that post a week back and am actually really keen on attempting it :) I just need to get my Pump, so save those transmitters if you wanna mail them to me :) If i get one working I will send it back your way.
That's an offer I can't refuse. :)

Aren't you in Canada though?

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No worries, I will just have to wait until i have some of my own dead transmitters to experiment on.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
(deleted)
Sure there used to be an option to delete a post?