Newly diagnosed and in a panic

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
2 hours after breakfast it was 23 - breakfast was toast. Obviously I am going to have to re-think my liking for bread. Just before lunch it had gone down to 18.3. My fingers are beginning to feel like they are full of holes but I am just trying to see if there are any patterns.

Yehaw

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
That's the beauty in testing before and after meals, you can see with your own eyes which foods to avoid, now do a test with a low carb meal, your be amazed by the result, you can eat a huge meal that is low in carbs with very little effects on your finger prick test, then eat a slice of toast and get a huge spike, it's why you keep hearing about cutting your carbs

Reactions: 2 people

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
That's the beauty in testing before and after meals, you can see with your own eyes which foods to avoid, now do a test with a low carb meal, your be amazed by the result, you can eat a huge meal that is low in carbs with very little effects on your finger prick test, then eat a slice of toast and get a huge spike, it's why you keep hearing about cutting your carbs
I had a low carb lunch and 2 hours later it was 13.6!

Yehaw

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
So it was 18 before then 13 after 2 hours?

This is no surprise, many people have the same experience

In the early days (now) your bg may be very erratic, keep the carbs low, it will settle down

Speaking from a type2 perspective

If your results show a different type, ignor me completely

john2223

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Poppy,

I agree with katiemc. You should get your blood sugar levels checked again. I know how it is being diagnosed with diabetes for the first time. I know it's definitely a lot to take in right now but I would trust the GP at the hospital since you said your numbers are coming down.

BlueSkies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For about 3 months I have been losing a lot of weight without trying, have been going to the loo all the time and have been drinking gallons of water and feeling tired. I went to the GP a couple of days ago and he did a pee test, took bloods and said it looked like diabetes because there was lots of sugar in my urine. He asked me to make an appointment next week to get the results of the blood test and started me on Gliclozide. Then yesterday evening, the duty out-of-hours doctor rang and said the blood results were so high that I needed to go to the hospital to be tested again and probably admitted. The blood test was 25.3. They did it again and it was 23 and there were ketones. They let me go home without being admitted but said I should go to the GP today urgently and get tested again. I couldn't see my usual GP so saw someone else who was a complete nightmare - said he didn't have time to explain ketones to me, there was no point in doing the tests again since the drugs needed time to work, gave me no information about seeing the nurse (just told me to make an appointment) and generally left me feeling terrible. This is all a lot to take in and I am feeling completely shell-shocked.
Hello Poppy
yes you're right it is an extreme amount to take in especially when you haven't received good care and been left on your own. There are numerous pieces of advice we could all give, but that could risk making you feel even more overwhelmed. Would it help if we looked at one specific question at a time, then when you feel more comfortable with that we can move on to the next. What is the most important question to you right now?

BlueSkies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm afraid at 62 you are not too old to be Type 1 :(
Rarely, but occasionally we do see people with type 1 diabetes over age 50. If you were type 1 you would be put on to insulin quite quickly. If you're treated with medications & lifestyle changes you are not likely to be type 1 unless you became very ill.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Rarely, but occasionally we do see people with type 1 diabetes over age 50. If you were type 1 you would be put on to insulin quite quickly. If you're treated with medications & lifestyle changes you are not likely to be type 1 unless you became very ill.
I was in my sixties when diagnosed as T1 and put on insulin straight away. Various blood tests later, the original diagnosis was found to be correct.

BlueSkies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For about 3 months I have been losing a lot of weight without trying, have been going to the loo all the time and have been drinking gallons of water and feeling tired. I went to the GP a couple of days ago and he did a pee test, took bloods and said it looked like diabetes because there was lots of sugar in my urine. He asked me to make an appointment next week to get the results of the blood test and started me on Gliclozide. Then yesterday evening, the duty out-of-hours doctor rang and said the blood results were so high that I needed to go to the hospital to be tested again and probably admitted. The blood test was 25.3. They did it again and it was 23 and there were ketones. They let me go home without being admitted but said I should go to the GP today urgently and get tested again. I couldn't see my usual GP so saw someone else who was a complete nightmare - said he didn't have time to explain ketones to me, there was no point in doing the tests again since the drugs needed time to work, gave me no information about seeing the nurse (just told me to make an appointment) and generally left me feeling terrible. This is all a lot to take in and I am feeling completely shell-shocked.
I was in my sixties when diagnosed as T1 and put on insulin straight away. Various blood tests later, the original diagnosis was found to be correct.

Hello June_C & Poppy
yes, I agree with June, we cannot say an age by which a person would not get type 1. All the best.

Poppy62

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Just seen my own GP who has been much more reassuring than the idiot I saw last week. He has confirmed Type 2 and put me on Metformin on staged dose. I have to go on a structured programme for diet and he has suggested a low carb diet and given me info on GI stuff. He even suggested this site.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Just seen my own GP who has been much more reassuring than the idiot I saw last week. He has confirmed Type 2 and put me on Metformin on staged dose. I have to go on a structured programme for diet and he has suggested a low carb diet and given me info on GI stuff. He even suggested this site.

Wow, that's great Poppy! You better keep quiet about where you live or a number of members will be beating a path to your GP's door! ;)