Hypos

jade88

Hi ladies I've been having quite a few hypos last few days before meals - can these cause any harm? xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I worried that my hypos would hurt my baby, but my consultant said they wouldn't :)

If there's a pattern to your hypos, you could try and catch them early and avoid going too low. I know it's a nuisance eating just before a meal, but I had to do that earlier in pregnancy and it did work well. I also had to have a snack but no bolus sometimes after meals.

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jade,
How far along are you?
You could try reducing your insilin intake before meals and your back ground insilin Xxx

jade88

Hi girls I'm 9 weeks now defo a pattern to hypos - have to take more at meal times to hit post meal targets but then hypo later on! Working with DSN to adjust my background just wasn't sure if the dangers of hypos! Thanks for the feedback! ️ xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jade,

That sounds perfectly normal at your stage of pregnancy. That's around when I got lows too. As you said, the amount of insulin needed to keep post-meal spikes down can mean going low later. So I ate and had the necessary bolus to keep the spike down, but then tested my blood sugar at one hour and two hours after my meal and ate something if it seemed low or was going down. I had to do this quite a lot, but reading various things on the Internet, it seems this is very common.

Also, watch out for nighttime lows. I had quite a few of those and I found Lucozade was the best way to treat them. I keep a bottle by my bed.