Sharps disposal when away from home

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Previously when I've been overseas and staying at hotels I've put my sharps into an old plastic bottle and brought them back home.

However, does anyone have any experience of hotels disposing of them or depositing them somewhere locally?

I wasn't sure if hotels, by matter of course, have special medical waste collections etc. or if that would be a "weird" request? I'm talking about big chains etc. not small boutique/B&B style hotels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Doubt very much that any hotel will dispose of sharps, however you can buy the 0.2 litre travel sharps bins that would do for a short stay.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I have not asked in the UK, but was in Gran Canaria last October and asked the hotel reception about local rules and they offered to take them off my hands. So at the end of the holiday I gave them the used sharps and empty pens in a beer glass!

Reactions: 4 people

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

You can also get the needle clippers on prescription, the one I got is the BD Safe-Clip. Useful for those using injections/pens for their insulin.

However, I just came back from a 2 week holiday and used an old lance box to put put all the used lancets and needles in and brought it back home to dispose of.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used the Safe-Clip pretty much since diagnosis.

Much better than travelling with a sharps bin and I put the clipped needles in a bag then get rid of em when I get home.

I think the safe-clips only come in at about £5 if you buy them privately instead of getting them on prescription. I know when I asked about it my Dr had never heard of it and had to look it up.

/A

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a small plastic box, labelled as sharps, secured with rubber bands and tape. Goes in my washbag adn the sharps get disposed of at home.

Pre-pump I had a slightly larger small plastic box.

I've used public sharps disposal boxes at airports before now, but don't tend to find them elsewhere

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was away for 4 weeks recently and got a 0.6l sharps box. Very cheap and easy to use. I got mine from Amazon.

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
BD safe clip £3.50 or free on prescription depending on where you live.