Night-time blues

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m wondering about a night-time situation I’ve been getting.

My mean BG from fingerpricks has been very good since January when I started MDI. Overall it’s been 5.7, with a low standard deviation (0.8). Some weeks it’s down at 5.4 (good), some weeks there’s a disaster and it goes up to 6.0, but I’ve really been quite pleased with it. Sometimes I run a Libre sensor, and then I get much better data of course. Last lot of Libre data, my mean BG was 5.5 and standard deviation only 0.65. I thought that was stellar.

So I’ve been quite complacent.

But recently (this might, and might not, have something to do with post-flu cold) I’ve been getting that dry-mouth thirst in the night and have to get up for the bathroom.

I started another Libre sensor yesterday, so last night when this happened, rather than thinking ‘Eff it,’ I scanned and then finger-pricked. I was 6.0 (though that’s higher than I like), but it felt much higher. So I took a 0.5 correction unit and went back to bed.

My question is, at what level do you guys start to get the bathroom/thirst feeling, and then (the billion dollar question), Do you think it matters?

I can see this two different ways. On the one hand, I’ve got nothing to complain about and I’m doing reasonably well. But OTOH, if it’s making me feel that high BG feeling, isn’t it likely it’s not too good for me? I should ask my doc about this of course, but he’ll probably just say, You’re doing fine, don’t go any lower. But of course as a LADA still honeymooning, it’s in my interests to run BG as low as I safely can.

I’ll check my basal of course, but I think it’s okay. I also might throw the insulin out again, as our fridge veers between too cold and too hot. I have a nice digital thermometer sitting on top of the insulin box.

What d’you reckon, people?

Lucy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'd be very surprised if your thirst was down to your bg levels of 6mmol Lucy, maybe you just need to drink more during the day or cut back on salty food in the evening, but either way if your concerned then its a good idea to go along and see your Dr and see if there's another cause for your dehydration.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ian DP, didn't you say something about this happening to you at quite low levels?

@noblehead, it's the combination of thirst plus bathroom visit - such a memory from pre-diagnosis days. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I don't get thirsty. But I can predict my pre breakfast BG levels by the number of times I have to visit the bathroom during the night. Lately none at all, and my BG have been under 5. If I need to visit the bathroom once my BG will be around 5 to 6..... Two visits and they will be around 6 to 7.

Reactions: 2 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucy!

I can't help with your question - I seem to spend half the night toing and froing between the bedroom and the loo regardless of what my BG is doing - I'm sure my pre-bed cup of tea doesn't help, but actually I think that if I wake up for any reason I want to know what my BG is and want to go to the loo - I'm not convinced it's needing the loo that wakes me up - rather that waking up gives me the opportunity LOL.

Anyway, I have serious SDfromMean envy of your 0.6!!!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cut out Caffeine as far as possible, I noticed a big difference when switching to decaff tea/coffee and the amount of times I needed the loo, caffeine can have a mild diuretic effect which makes you pass water more frequently.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucy!

I can't help with your question - I seem to spend half the night toing and froing between the bedroom and the loo regardless of what my BG is doing - I'm sure my pre-bed cup of tea doesn't help, but actually I think that if I wake up for any reason I want to know what my BG is and want to go to the loo - I'm not convinced it's needing the loo that wakes me up - rather that waking up gives me the opportunity LOL.

Anyway, I have serious SDfromMean envy of your 0.6!!!

Smidge

There is that, isn't there. And isn't that SD nice. Who knows how long it'll last .. God knows.

Lucy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a new thing I'm talking about. It wasn't like that before say three weeks ago.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, since you had the ' flu ?
It sounds to me like your hydration / electrolyte levels may be out of whack as a result of the virus rather than a connection to your BG levels . In which case it will right itself in time :)

You have seriously GOOD control, Lucy ! :D

Signy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Do you have any lingering sinus or bunged up nose issues?
That might be making you sleep with your mouth open.
It could even be a habit from when you did have the virus, with no lingering symptoms.

It may come as a shock to you, but apparently I have been known to make delicately ladylike little snuffles in my sleep. Amazing, I know. Came as a surprise to me too. And apparently they are a teensy bit worse after a virus.

Although worse is hardly an apt description for such an endearingly cute little noise...

Reactions: 7 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi,

It could even be a habit from when you did have the virus, with no lingering symptoms.

That's a good point. I noticed this a few months back after I had the flu.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It may come as a shock to you, but apparently I have been known to make delicately ladylike little snuffles in my sleep. Amazing, I know. Came as a surprise to me too. And apparently they are a teensy bit worse after a virus.

Although worse is hardly an apt description for such an endearingly cute little noise...
Oh Brunneria, I love you so. Yes of course that's it. And yes, sweet endearing little snuffles have issued from the Sleeping Lucy from time to time. When others tell me this, I regard it as a harbinger of good luck, and so should you. Happy household!

Grunting, of course, is for piggy-wiggies.

Lucy

Reactions: 4 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, since you had the ' flu ?
It sounds to me like your hydration / electrolyte levels may be out of whack as a result of the virus rather than a connection to your BG levels . In which case it will right itself in time :)

You have seriously GOOD control, Lucy ! :D

Signy
Thanks, dear Signy. That's probably right. One gets into a fret.

And the good levels - I'm trying hard, thinking that one day it may run downhill. It would be great to keep my TDD on the lowish side always, but I've no way of knowing whether it'll pan out that way. Watch this space .. !

LADAs are very lucky, in that they get nudged into the Big D very gently, rather than being dunked in it out of their depth and expected to swim. Or I've been very lucky, anyway. For which, all thanks.

L.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few years ago, I attended a camp for us tree hugger types. On the side of a hill in solitary splendour was an impressive looking yurt.

I asked the security guys who the yurt belonged to, and he said " Oh, that belongs to Ten Bears"

" Oooh!" I thought, impressed. Imagining some solitary spiritual warrior type in deep retreat and communing with Mother Nature .

" Yes" he continued. " We make him camp there. He keeps us all awake with his snoring, that's why we call him "Ten Bears Fighting" :D

Signy

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Poor old Ten Bears. As the most delicate of snufflers, I can't imagine what that must be like ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor old Ten Bears. As the most delicate of snufflers, I can't imagine what that must be like ...

Yes indeed.

In fact, I'm not sure why @Heathenlass felt it appropriate for a thread like this.

Can't see the connection, myself.

Although I do feel a smidge of sympathy for poor 10 bears. Although I am unable to identify with him at all, of course...

Reactions: 3 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes indeed.

In fact, I'm not sure why @Heathenlass felt it appropriate for a thread like this.

Can't see the connection, myself.

Although I do feel a smidge of sympathy for poor 10 bears. Although I am unable to identify with him at all, of course...

It's just rhe way my mind works.. I don't know why, but I suddenly remembered Ten Bears ;):D

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I love you all my dear friends. I love you. (Snuf-grunt-snuffle ... )

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes indeed.

Really no need to bring me into it lol

Although to be fair it's probably very apt right now. I had a bit of a cough and cold earlier in the week and was congratulating myself on keeping pretty good BG levels with it. Until last night. I coughed so much I couldn't breath - BG instantly went from 5s to 12s and all day my calm duck pond Libre graph has become a stormy Atlantic Ocean of poor control. Turns out my bit of a cough is bronchitis!

Smidge

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ouch!

Get well soon. And be prepared for the possibility of a little snuffling.