Fasting For Type 2's

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I set aside some time today to read Dr. Fung's new blog posts on fasting. My fasting blood glucose is 95 - 125 mg/dL ( mmol/L); my 2-hour post meal blood glucose is 115 - 145 mg/dL ( mmol/L). I'm still on the LCHF diet, walking daily, yet haven't seen improvement in blood glucose or weight in 2 months. At least I'm not gaining weight. It appears I have found my "maintenance" level of eating. :)

Waiting for my other health issues to calm down before beginning a fast, but starting to get excited about it again. This statement from Dr. Fung's "Fasting Physiology - Part II" blog post is encouraging...

"Regular fasting, in addition to lowering insulin levels, has also been shown to improve insulin sensitivity significantly. This is the missing link in the weight loss puzzle. Most diets reduce highly insulin-secreting foods, but do not address the insulin resistance issue. Weight is initially lost, but insulin resistance keeps insulin levels and Body Set Weight high. Fasting is an efficient method of reducing insulin resistance."

If I can achieve this with fasting, there's still hope that I make my way back to a more normal blood glucose range without medication.

Oh, and a book is coming. Dr. Fung wrote, "Yes, I am in the process of writing a book due to come out Jan 2016."

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Indy51 for the heads up on Dr. Fung's newest post. This is encouraging...

"For longer duration fasts, we often try NOT to calorie restrict during that eating period. Often, as people get used to fasting, we hear very often that their appetite starts to seriously go down. Not up. Down. They should eat to satiation on their eating day.

There’s a very good reason for this decrease in appetite. As you start to break the insulin resistance cycle, insulin levels start to decrease. Since insulin is the major regulator of the body set weight (BSW) your body now ‘wants’ to go lower. In response, hunger is suppressed and total energy expenditure is maintained. So – appetite goes down and TEE stays same or goes up. Remember that standard Caloric Reduction as Primary (****) strategies produce the opposite. Appetite goes up and TEE goes down. Which do you think will work in the long run?"

Maybe I could give one of the shorter fasts he discusses in this post a try. Need to convince my body that 83 mg/dL is normal for blood glucose, not 110 - 120 mg/dL.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So... there are many days when, having had my evening meal at say 7pm, I might not either want to eat, or have time to eat, until 3pm the following day. I've been resisting that, and trying to make myself have three meals a day at regular intervals, imagining that I was creating some kind of stability. However, the days when I don't eat until later are the only times I see readings in the 4s.

So I am confused... having read the blogs, it looks like my natural inclination to eat, say, between 3 -7 pm a few days a week may be fine, or even good for me?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So... there are many days when, having had my evening meal at say 7pm, I might not either want to eat, or have time to eat, until 3pm the following day. I've been resisting that, and trying to make myself have three meals a day at regular intervals, imagining that I was creating some kind of stability. However, the days when I don't eat until later are the only times I see readings in the 4s.

So I am confused... having read the blogs, it looks like my natural inclination to eat, say, between 3 -7 pm a few days a week may be fine, or even good for me?

If your body can cope with fasting. And your body might be. Try it for a day
or a period suited to your work or lifestyle. I do one every week on a non working day. But only if you are convinced you can and maybe talk about it with your doctor or dsn.
I still do shopping and chores and walking the dog.
I really wouldn't advise a fast if working or strenuous exercise.
Check your blood glucose levels regularly.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can go without food from say 8pm or so Monday until 5pm ish Tuesday because Metformin curbs my appetite I guess. I could do that every day. I don't though, because eating breakfast and lunch lowers my BG. It seems like I don't feel hungry but my liver dumps. Then when I do get hungry I feel nauseous and have been sick, which isn't fun. So I'd rather just eat well in the morning and at lunch time and maybe snack at night if hungry.

Reactions: 3 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Part 9 - Caloric restriction vs fasting now posted:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/caloric-reduction-vs-fasting-part-9/

An update on my fasting experiment: I've been doing the 16hr per day intermittent fasting regime for just over 100 days now and finally seeing results. After watching Dr Fung's Capetown lecture, I guess I've finally achieved the above 30% liver fat loss that restores normal fasting BG. I'm under 5.5 most days and have even had a couple of 4.8/4.9s. Going by the same lecture, I still haven't achieved the restoration of beta cell function caused by de-fatting the pancreas that he says takes longer because I'm still spiking above 7.8 after even very low carb meals.

Over this time my BMI has dropped from 25.4 to 22.8 with weight loss of 7kgs. As of the weekend, my waist measurement is finally 80cm.

I'm going to persist with this regime till I reach 120 days and will reassess. The weight loss now is very slow, yet following the regime is not onerous, so I think I can sustain it until I hopefully de-fat the pancreas.

All in all, very happy with the results - I never honestly thought I'd get normal fasting levels so it's great to be proved wrong :angelic:

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Indy51 that's fantastic news! Improved fasting glucose, BMI, weight, waist measurement, all in just 100 days. Way to go! Standing up, clapping, happy for you!

Your old fasting glucose is what mine is currently. What I find most inspiring is that you accomplished this almost three years after your diagnosis. Perseverance paid off. :D

I'd like to watch Dr. Fung's Cape Town lecture if it's available to view.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Indy51 that's fantastic news! Improved fasting glucose, BMI, weight, waist measurement, all in just 100 days. Way to go! Standing up, clapping, happy for you!

Your old fasting glucose is what mine is currently. What I find most inspiring is that you accomplished this almost three years after your diagnosis. Perseverance paid off. :D

I'd like to watch Dr. Fung's Cape Town lecture if it's available to view.
Thanks Winnie :)

The lecture was part of the Old Mutual Convention - the videos/transcripts are now available to watch. A lot of the lectures I've seen before, but there was some newer information in them - plus some people I hadn't seen before like Dr Cywes. I was also happy to support Prof Noakes and Karen Thomson for future conferences: http://lchfconvention.com/

Reactions: 2 people

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Part 9 - Caloric restriction vs fasting now posted:
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/caloric-reduction-vs-fasting-part-9/

An update on my fasting experiment: I've been doing the 16hr per day intermittent fasting regime for just over 100 days now and finally seeing results. After watching Dr Fung's Capetown lecture, I guess I've finally achieved the above 30% liver fat loss that restores normal fasting BG. I'm under 5.5 most days and have even had a couple of 4.8/4.9s. Going by the same lecture, I still haven't achieved the restoration of beta cell function caused by de-fatting the pancreas that he says takes longer because I'm still spiking above 7.8 after even very low carb meals.

Over this time my BMI has dropped from 25.4 to 22.8 with weight loss of 7kgs. As of the weekend, my waist measurement is finally 80cm.

I'm going to persist with this regime till I reach 120 days and will reassess. The weight loss now is very slow, yet following the regime is not onerous, so I think I can sustain it until I hopefully de-fat the pancreas.

All in all, very happy with the results - I never honestly thought I'd get normal fasting levels so it's great to be proved wrong :angelic:
wow, Im really happy for you, it seems like hard work to follow Fungs methods, but they also seem to be doable,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wow, Im really happy for you, it seems like hard work to follow Fungs methods, but they also seem to be doable,
I've been surprised by how easy it's been. I think with IF it's a matter of finding a routine that works for the individual rather than following prescriptions. I doubt if I'd have been able to do it if I was following the usual skipping breakfast deal - yet skipping dinner doesn't bother me at all. I've always been more comfortable eating my biggest meal at lunch, so this way is very workable for me.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its nice to read people believing in concept of fasting, after completing ND I am on 16:8 IF as well but for me its more to keep the weight in check, I dont want to gain what I have lost over last few months.

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Indy51 Fantastic job on your progress. I am intrigued by fasting, but I am not sure if I can break out of my "eat three meals/day" mode. However, I have dropped snacks for the most part and I never thought I could do that.

Thanks for sharing your success. I am going to view those videos in the evenings this week.