Pump update session?

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've just been to a 'pump update session' at the hospital with Medtronic, i was sent a letter a few weeks back & was given an option of 3 time slots and told I MUST attend one as it was important... This is what I have learnt from attending..

I did not need to attend.

They did not update me on anything.

They did not surprise me with a 640g like I had secretly hoped - major bummer.

I understand people have problems, questions, struggle with their pump, this was a good session for them, And for people who have just recently got a pump.

But I've just spent 2 whole hours when I really needed to be at work, being told things I already know, shouldn't I have been asked if I would like to attend and them tell me what the session would entail, rather than being told I MUST?

Wasn't sure if I'm just being narky but my friend attended too and he felt the same, so I'm not the only one who felt like this, although I understand we might be a minority. Think I just wanted to rant about it..

The dietician wasn't best pleased when I disagreed with her chat on 'eating low carb is not a good idea for diabetics coz you NEED carbs' - told her it was a load of tosh... I imagine she would be happy for me not to attend the next session.

When everyone first arrived they pointed out there was a refreshments table with drinks and snacks... Crisps, sweets, boxes (about 7 boxes) of cookies/brownies etc - brilliant snack table.

Rarghhhh rarghh rargh... Just wanted to get all that off my chest

:)

Reactions: 3 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it looks like someones pump clinic has some money to waste.............lol..........

as far as carbs are concerned, yeah we need them, but its OK and beneficial to have small amounts of them........

at least your clued up and really don't need any kind of refresher in the future......

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Had you not attended you would never have known if they were going to offer you the 360g, hope you feel a little better after your rant :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Noblehead,
True, If they don't give you any idea of what they are going to "teach" you aren't going to know!
But if they say you MUST attend then they are responsible for wasting your (& their) time & money!
@Mrsass, In your case I would be feeling a letter to the local PALS coming on!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I have this at my clinic in the first year on the pump as part of the "pump contract " you must attend education however timing is not great a Friday morning but as there is 12 /16 of us they arrange a separate consultant appt so 2 appointments in the space of a fortnight both taking a morning add in ophthalmology and podiatry this month and I have not worked a full week at work all month the education is a bit of a waste of time I'm pretty clued up on my diabetes my diabetes care and all the technology I even show and tell the class about things the appointments for clinic / podiatry are a half hour drive away the opthalmology appointment is a 2 hr bus journey away as I can't drive home so the waste of time and money is totally understandably annoying although I know that these things are necessary surely planning these things and combining appointments and locations would be a far better way of using the already stretched nhs resources I completely understand your rant

Danae

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead,
True, If they don't give you any idea of what they are going to "teach" you aren't going to know!
But if they say you MUST attend then they are responsible for wasting your (& their) time & money!
@Mrsass, In your case I would be feeling a letter to the local PALS coming on!

People who attend these sessions will have a various degree of experience and knowledge using pumps so it difficult to know who will know what, insulin pumps are a complex piece of kit and I'm sure even those who have used one for some time will still be learning.

Reactions: 4 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sorry but you are just playing the apologist.
To stop wasting eveyones time they have to credit us with some intelegence and assuming we are completely clueless by giving us some pre info to decide if the course is relevant!
Tell you what, lets move all your meetings to Lerwick!

rahul991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hate eating food with better taste.
I've just been to a 'pump update session' at the hospital with Medtronic, i was sent a letter a few weeks back & was given an option of 3 time slots and told I MUST attend one as it was important... This is what I have learnt from attending..

I did not need to attend.

They did not update me on anything.

They did not surprise me with a 640g like I had secretly hoped - major bummer.

I understand people have problems, questions, struggle with their pump, this was a good session for them, And for people who have just recently got a pump.

But I've just spent 2 whole hours when I really needed to be at work, being told things I already know, shouldn't I have been asked if I would like to attend and them tell me what the session would entail, rather than being told I MUST?

Wasn't sure if I'm just being narky but my friend attended too and he felt the same, so I'm not the only one who felt like this, although I understand we might be a minority. Think I just wanted to rant about it..

The dietician wasn't best pleased when I disagreed with her chat on 'eating low carb is not a good idea for diabetics coz you NEED carbs' - told her it was a load of tosh... I imagine she would be happy for me not to attend the next session.

When everyone first arrived they pointed out there was a refreshments table with drinks and snacks... Crisps, sweets, boxes (about 7 boxes) of cookies/brownies etc - brilliant snack table.

Rarghhhh rarghh rargh... Just wanted to get all that off my chest

:)
You dont need to go after session again and again .Better get update to your blood sugar "bolus" after every 2 hr of insulin being injected which is the most concerned matter here and get your body an optimum carbohydrates neither low nor high.

ChrisMaleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would have annoyed me too, especially seeing the food table as it was. **** it!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Prett much a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. They ought to spend their resources and time more individually on people that are struggling with pumps. Some people do and give up. One person on forum here said their pump taken off and in a drawer.. And I know another young girl locally that gave up and her pump is stuck in a shed.
Spend time with people that need help and treat us as individual humans not sheep

Reactions: 4 people