High morning sugar

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

Im 31 years old. Diabetes 1 since i was 13. I have been on LANTUS for my long lasting insulin and NOVORAPID for my short lasting. Im in a low carb diet and exercise regularly.

However for a period of time i get high blood sugar in morning. Up to 16. I take 34 units of LANTUS and 10-12 units of NOVORAPID and these occasions and skip the breakfast and just eat a banana until the blood sugar has slowly normalised a few hours laters.

Throughout the day the sugars are below 10 and then stars rising during night and is high during mornings. I eat my dinner at 18-19 PM and exercise at 21 PM.

I had some sleeping issues and it might be that the blood sugar starts to rise before bedtime. Even if sugar is around 7 before bed time.

Any tips or suggestions?

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi Kaup - You have around 27g of carbohydrate in a medium size banana ! For the serious low carbers here that's more than half their daily intake!

upload_2015-4-21_18-44-44.png

You'd be better off with eggs and bacon for breakfast, what else are you eating during the day?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

i keep to bean salad or chicken salad for lunch. And chicken with yoghurt or Tzatziki for dinner with vegetables. Usually my to go snacks after an exercise or a snack is a banana or a slice of low carb bread. Even slices of cheese.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Ok, well the diet sounds pretty good overall (but not sure about the bananas). You say that you exercise at 21:00, does your BG go high after this? Could it be your liver dumping glucose to help you cope with the exercise, i've heard that you can have higher BG after exercise than you had before.

Could you aslo be experiencing the same thing in the morning? (Dawn Phenomenon). How high are your BG's when you wake up?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

last night my sugars were 5. Took a slice of dark bread before bed. This morning the sugar was 14. It usually around this in mornings. And even if i dont eat before bed and it is around 5 in sugar it goes up during night and mornings are around 14.

My blood sugar are usually not high after exersice

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi kaup
welcome to the forum :)
have you done any basal testing ? ( your lantus insulin )
here is a link explaining this.
this is the most important thing to get right in terms of your control before looking at foods and bolus insulin.

http://integrateddiabetes.com/basal-testing/

link kindly provided by @noblehead

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Kaup

Welcome...

Like said previously I would test over night to find out when the highs start.

Also do a couple days of basal resting too. Then you can find out if you need one dose of long acting insulin or two or indeed a different type.

Without basal testing its harder to determine.

Also personally there is no way as a low carber for pretty much my 50+ years and 30+ as a T1 that I would eat bananas. Least of all before bed or when I have higher levels. That may just be me. I assume that if you have a banana before bed you are bolusing for it?

stevojl84

Kaup, if you go to gym i would duggest researching which muscles help bs levels. Ive read before certain muscles like the quads use a steady rate of energy even when asleep which helps to keep bs levels more steady and balanced. So leg workouts may be an answer. Also maybe chromium picolinate has said to help stabilise bs levels.. Give it some research and see if that could help..