Born young at heart

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
.............those were the days and it nice to remember.

Hi I thought you might find this as interesting as I did.....born during that window and young at heart !

No matter what our kids And the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME!!!

OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!
To Those of Us
Born1925 - 1970:

~~~~~~~~~ TO ALL THE
KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s,
'60s and '70s!! First, we survived
Being born to mothers who may have smoked
and/or drank
While they were Pregnant. They took aspirin,
Ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then, after that Trauma, we were Put to sleep On our tummies In baby cribs Covered With bright colored
Lead-based paints.
We had no
Childproof lids on medicine bottles,
locks on doors or cabinets,
And, when we Rode our bikes, We had baseball Caps, Not helmets, on Our heads. As infants and Children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts,
No air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..
Riding in the Back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water From the garden hose and not from a bottle. We shared one Soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We ate cupcakes, White bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And we weren't overweight. WHY?
Because we were Always outside playing...that's why! We would leave Home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights Came on. No one was Able to reach us all day. --And, we were OKAY. We would spend Hours buildingOur go-carts out Of scrapsAnd then rideThem down the hill,Only to find
Out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned To solve the problem..

We did not
Have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There wereNo video games, No 150 channels on
cable,No video movies Or DVDs,
No surround-sound or CDs,No cell
phones,No personal computers,
No Internet and No chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDSAnd we went
Outside and found them!
We fell out Of trees, got cut, Broke bones and Teeth, And there were No lawsuits From those accidents.

We would get Spankings with wooden spoons, switches,
ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, And no one would call child services to report abuse.
We ate worms, And mud piesMade from dirt, AndThe worms did
Not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 14th birthdays, rode horses,made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and-although we were told it would happen- we did not put out
very many eyes.
We rode bikes Or walked to a friend's house and knocked
on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.
The idea of a parent bailing Us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!These generations have Produced some of the bestrisk-takers, Problem solvers, and Inventors ever. The past 50To 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas.. We had freedom, Failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. If YOU are One of those born Between 1925-1970,
CONGRATULATIONS!You might want To share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers
and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Reactions: 17 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
.............those were the days and it nice to remember.

Hi I thought you might find this as interesting as I did.....born during that window and young at heart !

No matter what our kids And the new generation think about us,

WE ARE AWESOME!!!

OUR Lives are LIVING PROOF !!!
To Those of Us
Born1925 - 1970:

~~~~~~~~~ TO ALL THE
KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE
1930s, '40s, '50s,
'60s and '70s!! First, we survived
Being born to mothers who may have smoked
and/or drank
While they were Pregnant. They took aspirin,
Ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then, after that Trauma, we were Put to sleep On our tummies In baby cribs Covered With bright colored
Lead-based paints.
We had no
Childproof lids on medicine bottles,
locks on doors or cabinets,
And, when we Rode our bikes, We had baseball Caps, Not helmets, on Our heads. As infants and Children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts,
No air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..
Riding in the Back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat. We drank water From the garden hose and not from a bottle. We shared one Soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this. We ate cupcakes, White bread, real butter, and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.
And we weren't overweight. WHY?
Because we were Always outside playing...that's why! We would leave Home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights Came on. No one was Able to reach us all day. --And, we were OKAY. We would spend Hours buildingOur go-carts out Of scrapsAnd then rideThem down the hill,Only to find
Out we forgot the brakes.. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned To solve the problem..

We did not
Have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes. There wereNo video games, No 150 channels on
cable,No video movies Or DVDs,
No surround-sound or CDs,No cell
phones,No personal computers,
No Internet and No chat rooms. WE HAD FRIENDSAnd we went
Outside and found them!
We fell out Of trees, got cut, Broke bones and Teeth, And there were No lawsuits From those accidents.

We would get Spankings with wooden spoons, switches,
ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, And no one would call child services to report abuse.
We ate worms, And mud piesMade from dirt, AndThe worms did
Not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 14th birthdays, rode horses,made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and-although we were told it would happen- we did not put out
very many eyes.
We rode bikes Or walked to a friend's house and knocked
on the door or rang the bell, or just
Walked in and talked to them.
The idea of a parent bailing Us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!These generations have Produced some of the bestrisk-takers, Problem solvers, and Inventors ever. The past 50To 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas.. We had freedom, Failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all. If YOU are One of those born Between 1925-1970,
CONGRATULATIONS!You might want To share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers
and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Some great points Pasha, but never had a BB gun though :eek: no broken bones then, but plenty of scratches and grazes,muddy shorts muddy knees, oooh those were the days my friend :)

RRB

Reactions: 9 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am 71 and I still have the marks on my knees from falling off my bike onto gravel (can I still sue)
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I remember being in big trouble for cutting all the hair off my sisters doll , so I " left home " , carrying a bottle of tap water and a slice of bread ( cue violins ) I was about 5 at the time . I stayed out for hours in the field behind our house until hunger drove me back , no one seemed to have even noticed I`d gone in the first place :)

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We built a rope swing over a brook and I didn't let go at the right time ,so fell in and got wet through I didn't dare to go home so just carried on. swinging until I dried out ! Happy days
CAROL

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Bonfire night was all about the local bomb sites, it was not about fireworks, and the boys (and some girls) would be in your gang. You would collect the wood, protect the wood, and go on bonney raids to pinch or burn (prematurely) their wood. Your gang would build shelters, mass around the fire, bake spuds in the ashes. Smoke and talk, tell stories, some scary, some comical, make friends. This was a big part of the year. The start of winter, the run up to Christmas!
Bonfire would be lit about 7pm and one of your jobs would be to keep throwing more wood on it to keep it roaring huge flames. If yours got a mention or the fire brigade came to douse it (a little), they never put it out unless it was really dangerous. You became heroes.

Super days, dirty, and scruffy, camaraderie, a sense of doing thinks, discovering abilities about how things and you learnt how to control fire, even if you got a little singed doing it!

For a group of children allowed as a gang to do things is unthinkable these days! How sad, we have become!

Reactions: 13 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bonfire night was all about the local bomb sites, it was not about fireworks, and the boys (and some girls) would be in your gang. You would collect the wood, protect the wood, and go on bonney raids to pinch or burn (prematurely) their wood. Your gang would build shelters, mass around the fire, bake spuds in the ashes. Smoke and talk, tell stories, some scary, some comical, make friends. This was a big part of the year. The start of winter, the run up to Christmas!
Bonfire would be lit about 7pm and one of your jobs would be to keep throwing more wood on it to keep it roaring huge flames. If yours got a mention or the fire brigade came to douse it (a little), they never put it out unless it was really dangerous. You became heroes.

Super days, dirty, and scruffy, camaraderie, a sense of doing thinks, discovering abilities about how things and you learnt how to control fire, even if you got a little singed doing it!

For a group of children allowed as a gang to do things is unthinkable these days! How sad, we have become!
Great post "nosher" I really enjoyed it.

"How sad we have become" yes, and how sad for the new generations of young children, to miss out on all these exciting growing up adventures.

Reactions: 3 people

munday1932

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cold weather.People who criticize my town but don't help to make it better.Please can I go back to me user name which is Kentish maid
I was born in 1932 realise now how lucky we were the cliffs are famous castle and the beach were our play grounds and even when we were evacuated to Wales we had the mountains to explore I feel sorry for my great grandsons that they don't have the same freedom.

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have just told my younger days story influenced by this thread.
Please have a read. Thanks.

Doriand

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Political Correctness
I still love wrapping veggies (potatoes, pumpkins, carrots sweet potatoes) in aluminium foil throwing it in a bonfire till golden brown and drown it in butter......Love the simple life, even though I still consume too much carbs!

Reactions: 2 people