Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Just do NOT do what my neighbour did. Double knee transplant, got home, thought she was OK, then broke her leg by overdoing it. My poor wife has been exercising her for 9 months and she's now a lot better but you need to be careful :)

Reactions: 8 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi Anna, my left knee op was just amazing the post op pain was nothing compared to the pain I had pre op . I went back to work full time after ten weeks and I'm on my feet all day. I'm hopeful this right knee will be as successful .
I hope so too :)
Soon be here 13th May - op date for you .
Only 4weeks away !

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Have to report doing better than I thought, bend is so comfortable sitting at the dining table or computer desk, the standing after is not so good but tightness around knee and thigh getting better. The exercise of sitting on a chair and ankle supported by another chair and letting gravity bring the knee down seems to be working. Doing a lot of oiling, massaging, plus icing and heating seems to be working. I can walk around without crutches, go up and down stairs without them, slowly but its fine, feel so much better in myself. Had a week of water tabs becuase of swelling and they seem to have worked well. Take a crutch out if we go the to supermarket which I managed to walk up and down each isle yesterda.y Still only sleeping in 2 hour sessions but that seems to be the norm. Bloods doing OK now, 5.7 at 7.15am this morning and just done a finger prick and its 5.
Hope everyone else is doing well.

Reactions: 4 people

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have to report doing better than I thought, bend is so comfortable sitting at the dining table or computer desk, the standing after is not so good but tightness around knee and thigh getting better. The exercise of sitting on a chair and ankle supported by another chair and letting gravity bring the knee down seems to be working. Doing a lot of oiling, massaging, plus icing and heating seems to be working. I can walk around without crutches, go up and down stairs without them, slowly but its fine, feel so much better in myself. Had a week of water tabs becuase of swelling and they seem to have worked well. Take a crutch out if we go the to supermarket which I managed to walk up and down each isle yesterda.y Still only sleeping in 2 hour sessions but that seems to be the norm. Bloods doing OK now, 5.7 at 7.15am this morning and just done a finger prick and its 5.
Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi Hazel,

Good to hear you are making sound progress. Relate only too well to the tightness round the knee/thigh! Feels like a tight band!

Am just back from my physio session and then lunch with my husband. I find that I have to make a conscious effort to actually go out, otherwise a few days have passed and I realise I haven't been passed the front door! Not good.

My physiotherapist is very pleased with my progress. She seems to see progress when I feel i've plateaud. Anyway, today she says I don't need sticks indoors anymore. I still feel safer using two when I am out. More to warn other people off, I think.

We have arranged to go to visit one of our daughters who lives in the US at the end of August. Definitely need something to focus on. I must be making better progress than with the first knee, as it was nearer 12 weeks before I could even contemplate such a trip and I am only 5 weeks today with this one.

Good to hear your bloods are fine. Have been testing intermittently and mine seem OK too. Not been too fussed as I think I've got enough on my plate with 'the knee' at the mo.

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi Hazel,

Good to hear you are making sound progress. Relate only too well to the tightness round the knee/thigh! Feels like a tight band!

Am just back from my physio session and then lunch with my husband. I find that I have to make a conscious effort to actually go out, otherwise a few days have passed and I realise I haven't been passed the front door! Not good.

My physiotherapist is very pleased with my progress. She seems to see progress when I feel i've plateaud. Anyway, today she says I don't need sticks indoors anymore. I still feel safer using two when I am out. More to warn other people off, I think.

We have arranged to go to visit one of our daughters who lives in the US at the end of August. Definitely need something to focus on. I must be making better progress than with the first knee, as it was nearer 12 weeks before I could even contemplate such a trip and I am only 5 weeks today with this one.

Good to hear your bloods are fine. Have been testing intermittently and mine seem OK too. Not been too fussed as I think I've got enough on my plate with 'the knee' at the mo.
Lynne, Woke this morning, no tightness in my thigh...but come down with a horrendous head cold,sore throat,sneezing, cough etc... not had one for about 9 years so feeling very sorry for myself.!
I don't use sticks indoors either, did take one upstairs in case I needed it in the night but manage wih tout it. Seeing the consultant next Wed so hopefully can leave the sticks behind. Just hope my leg straightening is going to be enough at this stage, heard some horrendous tales about manipulation etc.
Just testing bloods twice a day and they seem OK.
Loved the nice weather we have been having, sitting outside has certainly cheered me.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Lynne, Woke this morning, no tightness in my thigh...but come down with a horrendous head cold,sore throat,sneezing, cough etc... not had one for about 9 years so feeling very sorry for myself.!
I don't use sticks indoors either, did take one upstairs in case I needed it in the night but manage wih tout it. Seeing the consultant next Wed so hopefully can leave the sticks behind. Just hope my leg straightening is going to be enough at this stage, heard some horrendous tales about manipulation etc.
Just testing bloods twice a day and they seem OK.
Loved the nice weather we have been having, sitting outside has certainly cheered me.
Hi Hazel,

Sorry you're feeling poorly. Colds can make you feel so miserable.

Good luck for Wednesday. Try not to worry too much about manipulation. Must admit, first time round, that word struck terror into my heart. Luckily, my straightening on both knees has never been a problem. Was more concerned that my surgeon wouldn't be too happy with my bend at six weeks, but he doesn't seem to believe in the 'six week window of opportunity' for bend that is sometimes mentioned. In fact, he believes that the knee continues to i,prove for up to two years after surgery.

This morning I decided that the antiembolism stockings were coming OFF! My goodness, how I detest those things. Will be six weeks next Wednesday since my surgery, so I'm sure a few days won't hurt, especially as I am really quite mobile now. What a relief! Sleeping in them has been so uncomfortable.

Good luck next week and let us know how you get on about the knee straightening.

Reactions: 2 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
YES!!!!!! I have just been to see the consultant and have handed in my crutches to physio .....leg bend is 120 and straightening still needs some work but they are not concerned. Still to do the exercises and physio. Next appointment in 6 weeks and then it will be 6 months. Oh it does make you feel better knowing everything is doing OK.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
GREAT work and SOOOOOOOOOOO happy for you !!!!!!

Love that kind of news !!!

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
YES!!!!!! I have just been to see the consultant and have handed in my crutches to physio .....leg bend is 120 and straightening still needs some work but they are not concerned. Still to do the exercises and physio. Next appointment in 6 weeks and then it will be 6 months. Oh it does make you feel better knowing everything is doing OK.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.
Good news! In fact, good news all round.

Saw my surgeon on Monday for six week check and he doesn't need to see me for a year. Physio this morning and bend at 97 which she is very happy with. No need for sticks indoors and will be pleased to give them up outside when I am a little more confident. On all fronts, streets ahead of recovery on first knee.

Don't feel up to driving yet, but sure that will come in the next couple of weeks when I am completely stir-crazy and need to regain more independence!

Reactions: 3 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Have a spot of truoble with my leg straightening, physio really got it down another 5 degrees...so only 5 to go yuk! The harder exercises take a lot out of you but I can use the exercise bike only a couple of mins a time, but love it.

Hope everyone is doing Ok and your op date is nearly here Lorraine...thinking about you.

Just had my blood results. for May 2015.
HbA1c - 36
BP. 130/70
Serum triglycerides 1/11mmol
Serum LDL 2.72 mmol
Serum HDL 1.58 mmol.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have a spot of truoble with my leg straightening, physio really got it down another 5 degrees...so only 5 to go yuk! The harder exercises take a lot out of you but I can use the exercise bike only a couple of mins a time, but love it.

Hope everyone is doing Ok and your op date is nearly here Lorraine...thinking about you.

HbA1c - 36
BP. 130/70
Serum LDL 2.72 mmol
Serum HDL 1.58 mmol.
Hi Hazel,

Sorry the straightening needs more work. What a palaver this op is! Thank goodness we only have two knees.

As with last time, everyone around me says how well I'm doing. For whatever reason, I never share their enthusiasm. I know I am improving, but that progress is SO slow again. Got so engrossed in last night's election coverage, I eventually went to bed at 3.30 am and am suffering as a result.

Good luck to Lorraine for the 14th May. Keep in touch.

Excellent HbA1c result!

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds

HbA1c - 36
BP. 130/70
Serum LDL 2.72 mmol
Serum HDL 1.58 mmol.
Great results Hazel.
My op has been put back again but they have changed my surgeon and I'm waiting for a new date . Soon i hope.
Keep up the good work with your exercises :)

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Had my diabetic eye test this morning, eyes only altered slightly, left eye more than the right but the deeper examination is still good. I do have cataracts but they are not interferring with my vision and could be many years before they do so....That is good news. Bad news is the extra cost of new specs...when all the other household bills seem to fall in May , June and July.

Had physio this afternoon and had deep back leg massage...hurt like heck but not as bad as last weeks session.
I may need more water tabs as a lot of fluid is stopping the leg straightening. I manage 3 x 5 mins sessions on the exercise bike and have to continue with this trying to up it to 10 mins. I go back to physio in 2 weeks. It will be a long struggle but it takes 18 months to 2 years to get over this op. Plus only sleeping in 2 hour sessions seems to be the norn! as its your body telling you to move. Heel slide at 112 degrees and managed an extra 5% on the leg straightening after the massage.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
All the best Lorraine.
Mine is great,worth putting up with a few weeks of discomfort.
Exersize is the thing after x x

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
Op done and I'm in enhanced recovery ward, bg is 9.8 still fasting and I've just had a slice of white bread toasted and a Cup of tea. I haven't had any insulin yet but the pain meds are great