Pasta Yeh!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One of the foods that I miss eating on LCHF is pasta so I decided to experiment today and have pasta for lunch. This morning I cooked 50g of w./wheat spaghetti that I rinsed under the cold tap and put in the fridge. Lunchtime I made a sauce of onions, garlic, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes and put the spaghetti in to warm through and grted some parmassen cheese on top. My BS reading pre was 5.6 and 1 hr after 7.7, 2 hrs after 7.5a nd 3 hrs after 5.5. Although there was not much difference between the 1 and 2 hour readings the 3 hour reading bought me back to my pre lunch reading so I'm happy with that. I wll however test again when, not if, I have it again just to make sure it was not a fluke but I have had a lasagne ready meal before with similar results so it looks as though pasta may be back on my 'things I can eat list':happy:

Reactions: 11 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I have been having pasta this way ever since the programme on tv showed it worked, my bs never goes up by more than 2 and sometimes even less. I love pasta and found it hard to deny myself but must admit I now have a smaller portion than I did pre diabetes. I'm pleased that you have also been successful with it too

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can i ask how you prepare the pasta, do you mean you cook it, wash it again and put it in the fridge until you want to eat it?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can i ask how you prepare the pasta, do you mean you cook it, wash it again and put it in the fridge until you want to eat it?
I just cook as normal, allow it to cool, drain and put it in the fridge. When I'm ready for my meal I reheat it and add it to the other ingredients

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Google 'Resistant Starch' and it will tell you all about it.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been having pasta this way ever since the programme on tv showed it worked, my bs never goes up by more than 2 and sometimes even less. I love pasta and found it hard to deny myself but must admit I now have a smaller portion than I did pre diabetes. I'm pleased that you have also been successful with it too
I decided that I would give it a go and it did work but, like you, I didn't have such a big portion as I used to. I used to just throw it in but now I tend to weigh food more if I'm unsure. I will definitely be trying it again. Have you had the same success with rice as that's something else that I stopped eating?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I decided that I would give it a go and it did work but, like you, I didn't have such a big portion as I used to. I used to just throw it in but now I tend to weigh food more if I'm unsure. I will definitely be trying it again. Have you had the same success with rice as that's something else that I stopped eating?
Hi, I'm pleased you had success with the pasta, I too weigh things now and a smaller portion does the trick. I sometimes just have a load of steamed veg with salmon and pasta sprinkled with cheese, so more veggies less pasta but very yummy.
I haven't tried rice but there was a discussion on older posts about stuff like Uncle Ben's which is obviously pre cooked. The only reason I did' t buy it was because I live alone and it would be wasteful, I am happy that I can at least have pasta once a week. Would be interesting to know if it works though.
I am trying a similar thing with Jersey Royal potatoes for my dinner later. I have already cooked and cooled them. New potatoes have less starch than old ones so it's worth a try, my motto: nothing ventured nothing gained . I will test before and after and see what happens.
I am always late getting on the forum because if I start here earlier in the day my jobs would never get finished, :rolleyes:so I prefer to catch up and then have the rest of the day on here. Good luck if you decide to try rice

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We had pasta last night and as I don't have time to cook it before work decide to try quick cooling it after cooking and then re heating it and it seemed to work.

I used one cup of dried fusselli (don't know the weight I find just measuring out a cup easiest) boiled it as normal then ran it under the cold tap until cold. Reheated it with crispy bacon, spring onion and egg (a smple cheap meal I learn at poly and can still enjoy). Two hours later and the rise was only 1.4 (I normally try for under 2) so looks like any cooling the pasta works.

Reactions: 5 people

vicki.milne

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Great post!
My 10-yr-old son was diagnosed less than a fortnight ago. As a result we're being fed information slowly by the diabetes team.
We've been told to just give him whatever he wants to eat in an attempt to gain weight and I've had to fill in the gaps myself.
My son loves pasta. Last night we gave him a massive portion of wholewheat fussili (when I say massive, ! mean massive! ) to see how he handled it.
His levels are still high and being brought down slowly but he was 9.0 prior to eating, 10.8 two hours after, at midnight 18.5 and at 3am 15.3.
So do smaller portions and pre-heating the way forward with pasta?

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:) Great article and very helpful, thank you for the information.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We had pasta last night and as I don't have time to cook it before work decide to try quick cooling it after cooking and then re heating it and it seemed to work.

I used one cup of dried fusselli (don't know the weight I find just measuring out a cup easiest) boiled it as normal then ran it under the cold tap until cold. Reheated it with crispy bacon, spring onion and egg (a smple cheap meal I learn at poly and can still enjoy). Two hours later and the rise was only 1.4 (I normally try for under 2) so looks like any cooling the pasta works.
Sounds like it is working for you too. I did the same with my tiny Jersey Royal potatoes but, as I find it hard to resist them I did go a bit mad and had 7 (they were tiny honestly, marble size) with chicken and veg and with a rise of 2 having not having eaten spuds for almost a year I could accept that . It was a one off and I enjoyed them:hungry:

Gourmande

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the article which is really interesting. However, if you scroll down the page, there is another article about the dangers of salmonella and it talks about reheating rice and pasta being potentially dangerous.

I have always been a bit wary of reheated rice because I knew about its connections to food poisoning, but didn't know pasta could be bad too.

So does anyone know how long the pasta should be reheated for? Should it be boiled in water, or just reheated in the pan with some oil?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the article which is really interesting. However, if you scroll down the page, there is another article about the dangers of salmonella and it talks about reheating rice and pasta being potentially dangerous.

I have always been a bit wary of reheated rice because I knew about its connections to food poisoning, but didn't know pasta could be bad too.

So does anyone know how long the pasta should be reheated for? Should it be boiled in water, or just reheated in the pan with some oil?
I have been doing this for some time without a problem. Rice should only ever be reheated once, pasta once. If you bought a ready meal (which I never have ) you would be reheating rice pasta ect. My Eldest son is a chef and says as long as it is quick cooled, refrigerated and reheated the same day it is perfectly safe

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pasta has one of the lowest glycemic loads of all wheat products, especially semolina. To lower the glycemic load add creme sauce, cheese, nuts, veggies, etc.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Tesco's Al Fresco range I found a dish of Chicken and Roasted Mushrooms in cream sauce (1.1g carb per 100g) so I decided to re-run my pasta experiment with penne pasta this time. I cooked and cooled 50g before hand, heated the Chicken and mushrooms as per instructions and then re-heated the pasta. One problem - I forgot to test pre-lunch :facepalm: but 2 hours after I was 6.5 and 3 hours after 5.8 so I'm claiming another success with pasta!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this article because I love pasta, so it's going back in my eating plan.
I love pasta too which is why I've been testing each time - I think that I may test for a third time and if i get the same results it will definately go on my 'keepers' list.

ono

Question for those who have tried this reheated pasta, do you still inject for the carb in the pasta? Do you reduce the insulin?