LCHF

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I've been reading so much about this Low Carb High Fat diet. I need to lose half a stone, which somehow crept up on me since the husband retired last summer......I've decided to give it a go, although for the first few weeks I am doing it on a part time basis just to see how the blood sugars pan out. I was actually going to start with breakfast this am, but the egg and bacon which my husband was cooking he had added some delicious left over new potatoes from last night's dinner, which he fried up.....and sadly I couldn't resist. However this lunch time, I made a delicious salad, with tuna, sweet gem lettuce, capers, anchovies, hard boiled eggs and a balsamic and olive oil dressing, (homemade dressing not shop bought). Wish I had taken a photo! Oh and I added some asparagus spears which I found in the cupboard in a jar, (from Lidls and they were delicious) . My thoughts are I will do say two meals a day for a while as low carb, and just see how it goes, have to say it was lovely not to have to inject at lunch time. My blood sugar was 8.9 before I ate, my insulinx meter tells me I didn't need to use any quick acting insulin for a zero carb meal. My target set on my meter is for a bg of 7. I will keep ha all posted on how it goes, if anyone is interested or has any thoughts to add. Or tips. Much appreciated.

Reactions: 2 people

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meant to add I did check it was ok with my dietician before I started this, she emailed me back to say it was a good idea, the low carb bit but she wasn't so keen on the high fat, but she said she would be interested to know how I get on with it

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Those **** left over fried up spuds!!!!!
I want one now ....
fingerdrumming.gif

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just doing breakfast and lunch... and I'm seeing good results and no high reading

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have to say I think I'm going wrong somewhere. I'm a carboholic and I hate high fat food but thought I would try some low carb to try and improve my sugars. I have cut out all potatoes, bread and most pasta ( just the odd tin of spaghetti hoops), but I am finding my sugars are rising even after no carb food- especially things like egg and cheese. I hope you do better than me.

Jeannie87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I took the dog out for a medium walk just after my huge salad, and just now I did my blood sugar on return ....and "drum roll" it was 7.8!! And I still feel full. I will keep you posted, we have a fairly high carb dinner tonight but even so this means I still will have less insulin today than normal as I missed out my lunch time dose of NovoRapid, as I had no carbs. Yes, **** those fried spuds @JACKTHELAD

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have to say I think I'm going wrong somewhere. I'm a carboholic and I hate high fat food but thought I would try some low carb to try and improve my sugars. I have cut out all potatoes, bread and most pasta ( just the odd tin of spaghetti hoops), but I am finding my sugars are rising even after no carb food- especially things like egg and cheese. I hope you do better than me.
The high fat foods I mostly eat are simply full fat dairy products.
Full fat plain yoghurt which I add berries to maybe nuts.
Butter cream coconut oil olive oil.
Ok I also like my bacon which is fatty even after you trim it simply because it's a fatty meat plus I love snacking on polish sausages etc ... oh and not to forget my pork scratchings.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Protein does raise blood glucose SandyDee, it is not 'free'. The protein from the eggs and cheese you ate gets converted into a source of glucose to nourish your body. If I have a 'no carb meal' you will still need insulin.

I find if I add up the grams of protein I'm eating, for example 1 large egg = 8g protein approx, and 25g of cheese = 8g protein equals 16g protein all together. I half that amount (16g protein ÷ 2 = 8 and bolus for that (8)as if it was carbohydrate. It is a rough starting point. Just remember roughly 50% of protein is converted to glucose IF there is no other source of sugar in the meal.

However if you eat some carbs with the protein your body will use the protein for repair/growth etc and the effect on blood glucose is hardly noticeable and then you only need to bolus for the carbohydrate content.

Hope that helps a bit x

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Protein does raise blood glucose SandyDee, it is not 'free'. The protein from the eggs and cheese you ate gets converted into a source of glucose to nourish your body. If I have a 'no carb meal' you will still need insulin.

I find if I add up the grams of protein I'm eating, for example 1 large egg = 8g protein approx, and 25g of cheese = 8g protein equals 16g protein all together. I half that amount (16g protein ÷ 2 = 8 and bolus for that (8)as if it was carbohydrate. It is a rough starting point. Just remember roughly 50% of protein is converted to glucose IF there is no other source of sugar in the meal.

However if you eat some carbs with the protein your body will use the protein for repair/growth etc and the effect on blood glucose is hardly noticeable and then you only need to bolus for the carbohydrate content.

Hope that helps a bit x

Pretty much what I do.. If I eat an egg I count it as 4g of carbs..

The only thing I find is that I have my basal insulin tweaked to perfection so tbat I do not bolus for cups of coffee with milk. If I was drinking a pint of milk in one go I would have to bolus for it.

Reactions: 4 people