Novorapid dose any tips ?

warder100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
HI I have just been placed on Novorapid and take lantos already in the evening ,anyone do the same and I am after general tips experience's etc .

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I take Levemir and Novorapid. I started very slowly with the Novorapid, kept a log of carbs eaten and units used and any exercise close by to meals. If you are in any doubt, dose low and then correct later, far better than hypos. I have been low carbing since January, I have lowered my novorapid almost by half as a result. If you eat fewer carbs and dose less Novo, you have less room for error and have a much narrower range of blood sugars. Mine was 4.9 before lunch and 4.9 3 hours after but there were very few carbs in my salad.

Ali

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Novorapid is used to process the glucose release from carbohydrate, so from now on you will need to count up the carbs in your meal and match it with a dose of Novorapid.....

how much to take should be discussed with your team, but generally, for adults, a good place to start is 1 unit of Novorapid for 10g of carbohydrate.....

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As above. My novorapid ratio is around 1.5 units for 10g of carbohydrates. We're all different. If you're physically active it can have an effect. I drop to around 0.5 units for 10g of carbohydrates when out on the cycle for the day. Or keep the same ratio and load up on carbs for fuel (that's my excuse anyway)..:rolleyes:

skipworth

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It will depend upon your individual level of insulin resistance, most new insulin users are started on 1 unit for 10 carbs, and you then have to work out what works for you as an individaul and for what foods. I am pretty insulin resistant so have to use 1 unit for every 3 carbs, but I can get away with using less insulin if I have a lower carb meal, so counting carbs has become pretty much the norm. I have tried reducing the level of insulin, but BG readings then start to rise . I am also on Levermir so have to adjus the dosage according to my morning levels. I have been up as high as 40 units, but no lower than 25 units to maintain a good morning BG. You should be aware though that increasing insulin is a downward spiral as the more insulin you use the more weight you could gain which in turn leads to an increase in insulin dosage, but agin as I say it varies quite considerably between individuals, what works and happens to one may not to another.