This is hard and I'm feeling low

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I have been prescribed metformin but haven't yet seen the nurse and that will be another 4 weeks away so without the help of this forum, i would even be a far as i am now!
a guess would be the nausea is from the metformin, quite common at first, diarrhea is another treat :)

the first couple of weeks ..I think it doesn't matter what you eat as long as it's not carb
I found I was starving for 2 days and carb flu for a week.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

the odds are as a new T2 you have a few extra kg, so you don't ned to add a lot of fats..about the same amount you use to eat is fine, only without the carbs. a food counter like my fitness pal comes in handy

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the recipe ideas @magnolia I will definitely look into those.

And to everyone that has replied and is relying, thank you so much!

I am going back to milk tomorrow with my tea, maybe semi skimmed, I'll look into the carb contents.

This is definitely going to be for the long haul even if it is difficult.

Just had a dinner of chicken breast with garlic butter and cheese with broccoli cauliflower and salad and it was unbelievably yummy! Must admit though I can feel that day taste in my mouth though but not as bad as earlier.

Could I get away with a diet coke and Jack Daniels?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will watch the metformin and how it makes me feel. Yes for the first time in about a year, I weighed myself and to be at the top of the range for my bmi, I need to loose 3 stone!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am going back to milk tomorrow with my tea, maybe semi skimmed, I'll look into the carb contents.

Just had a dinner of chicken breast with garlic butter and cheese with broccoli cauliflower and salad and it was unbelievably yummy! Must admit though I can feel that day taste in my mouth though but not as bad as earlier.

I have a lot more recipes if you want any help with anything! Not my own obviously, nicked from good people's blogs mostly :) Yup JD and diet coke fine - no carbs in the JD!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will watch the metformin and how it makes me feel. Yes for the first time in about a year, I weighed myself and to be at the top of the range for my bmi, I need to loose 3 stone!
You can do that:) I have lost almost 2 stone since Christmas on LCHF and doing 2 dance classes a week. It really hasn't been that much of an effort. Stick with it, you'll get there!

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi.
Just to say semi skinned has more sugar than the full cream.
Coconut oil is good for frying & you don't need alot of it. Has changed the flavor of my fried egg & it's yummy.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I've just realised! I came across a website seems to have alot of nutritional information and I'm seeing that the full fat versions from all supermarkets have the lowest carbs!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrsmac247, raising hand...I too ate a lot of processed grains and sugary foods before starting the diet. I was between jobs and husband was away on business for first three weeks, thankfully. I was not a fun person during this time, going through serious withdrawal from grains and sugar to a completely new way of eating.

Checking my blood glucose, 4 to 7 times a day, kept me motivated. That and my intense dislike of pharmaceuticals.

Here's what I wish I'd known then. There are blood glucose meters available that use very inexpensive strips. Ask forum members here from your country which one's are the cheapest and where to buy them, either locally or online.

In the U.S., I use the ReliOn Prime, purchased at Walmart. The meter cost me $14.99 - (but lancet devise and lancets sold separately; I already had both) - and the test strips are 22 cents each. For comparison, the original meter I got was similar but the strips cost 68 cents to $1 each!

Note, all meters will consistently give inconsistent readings. Don't worry about it. If I retest 5 times, one after the other, with either meter, my readings vary by 16 or 17 mg/dL, which irriates me, but it gives me the feedback I need to stay motivated. My highest blood glucose reading was 282 mg/dL (15.7 mmol/L). I'm now in the 110 - 145 mg/dL range (6.1 - 8.1 mmol/L range).

Another critical strategy for me was to keep a variety of fresh vegetables to steam and eat in the fridge at all times. Single servings of beef, pork, poultry, and fish in the freezer, and a variety of nuts and cheese too.

Nuts each have different nutritional profiles (% DV) - (still looking for a good source of pistachios and cashews). I buy most of my nuts in big bags from Costco. Each 1 oz serving provides...

Almonds are a good source of protein (12%), fiber (14%), monounsaturated fat (8.7 g), vitamin E (37%), riboflavin (17%), calcium (7%), iron (6%), magnesium (19%) , phosphorus (14%), potassium (6%), zinc (6%), copper (14%), and manganese (32%).

I should add here that peanuts - (dry roasted, no salt, in shell) - though a legume, not a nut, are a good source of protein (13%), fiber (9%), vitamin E (10%), thiamin (8%), niacin (19%), folate (10%), magnesium (12%), phosphorus (10%), potassium (5%), zinc (6%), copper (9%) and manganese (29%).

Pecans are a good source of protein (5%), fiber (11%), monounsaturated fat (11.4 g), omega 3 (276 mg), thiamin (12%), magnesium (8%), phosphorus (8%), zinc (8%), copper (17%), and manganese (63%).

Pine Nuts (for making fresh pesto) are a good source of protein (5%), fiber (4%), vitamin E (13%), K (19%), thiamin (7%), niacin (6%), iron (9%), magnesium (18%), phosphorus (16%), potassium (5%), zinc (12%), copper (19%), and manganese (123%).

Sunflower Seeds - (dry roasted, no salt) - are a good source of protein (8%), fiber (4%), vitamin E (13%), K (19%), thiamin (7%), niacin (6%), iron (9%), magnesium (18%), phosphorus (16%), potassium (6%), zinc (12%), copper (19%), and manganese (123%).

Walnuts are a good source of protein (9%), fiber (8%), omega-3 (2,542 mg), thiamine (6%), B-6 (8%), folate (7%), iron (5%), magnesium (11%), phosphorus (10%), zinc (6%), copper (22%), and manganese (48%).

Mushrooms, one of the foods you like, are a good source of magnesium.

I do miss pasta, rice too. I replaced pasta with spaghetti squash and thin strips of zucchini (courgettes), and I replaced rice and potatoes with cauliflower. There's something calleda a spiralizer - ( https://www.google.com/search?q=spi...&ei=mv47VbuuEMX6oQThqYHgDg&sqi=2&ved=0CE4QsAQ ) - that I want to get too.

You can still drink coffee, teas, water, also a 4 oz single serving of dry red and white wines daily. :)

What type of unprocessed or minimally processed carbs, fats, and proteins do you normally eat and enjoy? Oh, and green olives, pimentos removed, are another good snack.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wow thank you again, to be honest my diet up until now has been the same since childhood. Stewed chicken and rice, roast chicken and roast potatoes, slice beef with rice, lamb chops with rice, spaghetti bolenese, pasta bake, steak pie, chips, wedges etc all meat dishes usually had vegetables on the side and sometimes added coleslaw. Treats would be a beef pastry type food. We loved breaded chicken Kiev or breaded fish. Also loved making chicken curry with pre brought sauce. On a Sunday we used to have afters and too many times for the week a takeaway. Everything cooked in olive oil or low fat cooking spray.

Breakfast was always cereal and lunch maybe a jacket potatoe with beans and cheese or some noodles.

I was a follower of slimming world which suited the food I ate.

Reading that back I can see the amount of carbs that I was consuming but that was all I knew...back then

It actually does sound really bad!

I aim to try a new recipe at least once a week and will give the cauliflower rice a go. I think a good thing is that I am actually able to see where the carbs were in my diet and believe me, I understate the take always as my baby a born with complications and is fifteyen being treated or in hospital so more often than not we grab and go!

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thank you again, to be honest my diet up until now has been the same since childhood. Stewed chicken and rice, roast chicken and roast potatoes, slice beef with rice, lamb chops with rice, spaghetti bolenese, pasta bake, steak pie, chips, wedges etc all meat dishes usually had vegetables on the side and sometimes added coleslaw. Treats would be a beef pastry type food. We loved breaded chicken Kiev or breaded fish. Also loved making chicken curry with pre brought sauce. On a Sunday we used to have afters and too many times for the week a takeaway. Everything cooked in olive oil or low fat cooking spray.

Breakfast was always cereal and lunch maybe a jacket potatoe with beans and cheese or some noodles.

Reading that back I can see the amount of carbs that I was consuming but that was all I knew...back then

I aim to try a new recipe at least once a week and will give the cauliflower rice a go. I think a good thing is that I am actually able to see where the carbs were in my diet and believe me, I understate the take always as my baby a born with complications and is fifteyen being treated or in hospital so more often than not we grab and go!
If you like breaded things then try using desiccated coconut instead of breadcrumbs. I do prawns this way - butterfly raw king prawns, dip in egg then desiccated coconut and fry in coconut oil. Delicious! Sure you could try the same with strips of chicken. In fact I think I'll try that tomorrow :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This gives a simple overview to how it works
For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. They don’t give up easy and it’s biochemical

a long page and a few good video’s
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved starchy root vegetables too.

Thank you for telling me that you're a caregiver. :)

Your circumstances are such that you need to be able to put together meals and snacks ahead of time at home, and/or put meals together on the run using the deli, salad bar, and other fresh convenience foods at the grocery store. When I'm away from home but have access to a microwave, fresh foods from the frozen section of the grocery store are helpful too. There are times when I'm so busy, the best I can do is eat a bag of frozen vegetables using a microwave. I suppose there's a way to cut and steam fresh vegetables in the microwave if I have a cutting board, knife, bowl, and plastic wrap in my car. With a plate, knife, and fork, I can eat a burger anywhere.

If you can find a few good paleo cookbooks, you might be able to look through them for ideas while at the hospital during down times. Perhaps you could put together a paleo friendly condiment kit.

Might be a good idea to ask for specific suggestions here. I'm sure there are many here who have been in similar circumstances, if only for a few weeks or months.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can include vegetables/berries (carbs), fat, and protein in most meals and snacks, you're succeeding. :)

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That looks lovely @Mongolia, I love quiche although only eat it once a year or so but with this alternative I could have it more often and freeze it!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes nut milks are good .. But not for a nice cup of tea !

I tried all the almond, coconut and other alternative milks that people recommended and hated them all, but then I found Arla Lactofree milk, around half the carbs of ordinary milk, and it tastes just as good :)

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@rowan I am really grateful for that information, after reading your post I looked into milk. Given the previous advice before being diagnosed with diabetes, I was consuming quite a lot of milk through cereal and teas each day with semi skimmed milk. A few days after diagnoses I realised that full fat milk has less carbs than skimmed milk (tried cream, can't stomach it in tea). After reading your post, it seems the lactose free milk is even less so thank you very much, I now have a litre of full fat lactose free milk on order with my tesco shop arriving tonight:)