Cold hands

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Since losing some weight and keeping better control I am now experiencing really cold hands. I have always had opposite problem feeling heat but seems my thermostat has totally changed. Any ideas

Reactions: 4 people
G

gemma6549

Whenever I eat a low carb diet I'm always very cold. I think it's to do with producing ketones. I'm sure other members can be more specific and informative.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
me too... and my feet are sometimes blocks ice... podiatrist checked them and said they were fine.... GP mentioned vitamins... but she seemed really uninterested... Hope you get some positive feedback.... I'll be watching.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes suffer from icy cold hands and feet - and nose! - since I've had diabetes, and this was actually at its worst during the very hot summer months! :wideyed: My main main issue has been getting any blood for testing out of my freezing fingers. I've also felt the cold more, particularly this winter, and blame that on missing some of my nice insulating fat layer since losing a fair bit of weight.

I also used to get icy extremities when I had very bad migraines, and I've always associated it with (poor) blood circulation.

Robbity

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While my hands aren't too bad I have always suffered cold feet, I know its a physical impossibility but I swear mine can radiate cold at night. I need an external heat source to warm them up (I tend to have a hot water bottle most of the year), just wearing bed socks doesn't work. If I haven't got the hot water bottle, they just get colder and colder through the night and more and more painful. I have ended up walking around the house in the middle of the night as the exercise does seem to help a bit.

I have always blamed the problem on poor circulation as I had it for years before I was even diagnosed as pre diabetic.

I remember how I used to hate going swimming as my feet would be so cold when I got in the water that if felt like the water was boiling, then by when I was in up to my waste it would feel like the water was freezing even though my feet were still burning. Jumping in was always too much of a shock to the system as my body did not seem to know how to react.

Good socks, shoes and gloves certainly help, I have long given up on fashion in preference to comfort and a bowl of warm water to make sure the hands are as warm as possible before pricking my fingers for blood tests.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I needed one of those corn bags you pop into the microwave for my freezing cold right foot.... it helps but.....

Reactions: 2 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your Thyroid levels checked recently? low levels can cause cold extremities

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've suffered badly with the cold, could sit on top of the radiator with a coat on and still feel it. Since we got a duel fuel fire installed I've not felt cold at all, It's a different type of heat. Rather than a radiator giving off some heat the log stove heats everything in the room. I feel so much better with it. I have also started taking a multivitamin as I believe Metformin can affect your vitamin B levels. But don't quote me on that. I also find that while I may be cold during the day, I'm boiling when I go to bed at night. Don't make any sense at all. ;;

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your comments. I did wonder about thyroid issues as I had treatment for overactive thyroid 15 years ago but I would have thought that would have opposite effect.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all your comments. I did wonder about thyroid issues as I had treatment for overactive thyroid 15 years ago but I would have thought that would have opposite effect.
It is quite common for an over active thyroid to slow down years later so it's a good idea to get it checked. Ask for FT4 and FT3 and antibodies as well as TSH. And B12 is always worth checking. And iron. I'll stop now.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get cold hands, feet and sometimes nose. However, say about 30 mins after lunch, everything warms up and becomes OK.

I do VLCHF diet, but dont know if this is the cause. Of course it could be simply that I am just getting old and cold.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get cold hands, feet and sometimes nose. However, say about 30 mins after lunch, everything warms up and becomes OK.

I do VLCHF diet, but dont know if this is the cause. Of course it could be simply that I am just getting old and cold.
My feet can sometimes be cold when I'm hungry and I can actually feel the warmth creeping back into them during a meal. This kind of cold feet are however miles from the compact ice blocks of hypothyroid feet and hands, they are almost impossible to ever warm up.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Since losing some weight and keeping better control I am now experiencing really cold hands. I have always had opposite problem feeling heat but seems my thermostat has totally changed. Any ideas
snap

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Me too.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I have very cold feet and have taken to wearing bed socks laughs....... in the middle of the night I end up kicking them off :banghead: