The Truth About Fat

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only 'discovered' zaatar last year, I have used sumac before but not in that blend, it's very nice :)
while I was at the ME/ lebanese market, I got some other stuff I keep on hand..much cheaper than supermarkets
Zaatar yummy! But - what D'you have it on? Classically you mix it in olive oil and then, yes, smear it all over flatbread ...

Sumac is really good to rub into a chicken for roasting BTW.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
did you replace all of the fats and protein from the dairy you cut? that would be my guess.
check your fats, then more protein if needed

I need to check MFP tonight as I just replaced the dairy with avocado, olives, feta etc so probably a lot less calories than the dairy.

Although 8st 12lb now and 5'6" female which says ok BMI, I can feel my shoulder blades and I know I daren't lose more weight. Size 8's are now a little lose. Because I'm so muscly from my work-i think that must weigh heavier than fat so although still a normal BMI I know I have to check MFP tonight.

I've never been a big eater so cream in coffees was easier than eating more. Cheese was 7 thin slices a day and I don't miss it as I really didn't want it. I was just doing it to try out what so many people on here have found works for them. As per usual I'm different! Got to get it sorted out though.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Zaatar yummy! But - what D'you have it on? Classically you mix it in olive oil and then, yes, smear it all over flatbread ...

Sumac is really good to rub into a chicken for roasting BTW.
I'm using it as a rub on meats and a sprinkle on salads and mix with oil in the bowl. no flatbread :(

Reactions: 2 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had it, as recommended, on my Feta cheese with some OO.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've got to make some now!! I'm jealous :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@jack412
My normal sort of dinner.. Swop the fish for salmon or corned beef... Hard to get the MFP input for this!!
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1429989656.398880.jpg
this is my new fish with scaps from M&S which is the heaviest carbs for a meal. Plates are 3/4 sized ones. I have this size salad 5 times a week. It has homemade dressing on it as well. Stuffed peppers are ince in a while... Not every day as too expensive unless someone can tell me how to do them?
Am I going to have to weigh every salad food tomorrow to put on MFP?

Reactions: 5 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jack412
My normal sort of dinner.. Swop the fish for salmon or corned beef... Hard to get the MFP input for this!!View attachment 13259 this is my new fish with scaps from M&S which is the heaviest carbs for a meal. Plates are 3/4 sized ones. I have this size salad 5 times a week. It has homemade dressing on it as well. Stuffed peppers are ince in a while... Not every day as too expensive unless someone can tell me how to do them?
as a T1 you need to get the carbs and protein grams to bolus..I'd do a weekly amount..if you go through a jar of olives a week, put that down..500ml of olive oil. etc
putting down a teaspoon of this and a tablespoon of that for each meal is hard work
I can tell you how to plateau :( I've been slack for 6 months..it's just that my bloods are good, a1c 5.3 and I don't care that I'm fat :banghead:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jack412
My normal sort of dinner.. Swop the fish for salmon or corned beef... Hard to get the MFP input for this!!View attachment 13259 this is my new fish with scaps from M&S which is the heaviest carbs for a meal. Plates are 3/4 sized ones. I have this size salad 5 times a week. It has homemade dressing on it as well. Stuffed peppers are ince in a while... Not every day as too expensive unless someone can tell me how to do them?
The top half looks a lot like my lunch!
Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
as a T1 you need to get the carbs and protein grams to bolus..I'd do a weekly amount..if you go through a jar of olives a week, put that down..500ml of olive oil. etc
putting down a teaspoon of this and a tablespoon of that for each meal is hard work
I can tell you how to plateau :( I've been slack for 6 months..it's just that my bloods are good, a1c 5.3 and I don't care that I'm fat :banghead:

Good job you have brains.. I didn't think to put in a weekly amount and to divide by 5!!

Also though T1's don't need carbs any more than a T2... Especially on a pump. Theonly reason we have to have bolus is really because of the carbs. Less carbs, less bolus. Then its just a case of getting the basal right for T1's. I bolus 4g for a boiled egg.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ooh that looks lovely!! Looked at the website.one of my customers imports greek oil from her estate in greece.. Single estate cold pressed extra virgin oil. Its gorgeous and delicious so I can add as much as I like because I have an excellent source of supply.

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooh that looks lovely!! Looked at the website.one of my customers imports greek oil from her estate in greece.. Single estate cold pressed extra virgin oil. Its gorgeous and delicious so I can add as much as I like because I have an excellent source of supply.
that sounds good as VOO is not getting a good press in terms of adulteration.... does she sell?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can't have the bread though really as more than1/2 aslice of homemade bread ends up as a lump the size of a tennis ball that is visibly seen and felt moving slowly through my stomach. I get full on the salad and at home I always just lick my plate!!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
that sounds good as VOO is not getting a good press in terms of adulteration.... does she sell?

Yes she does sell. I can get her business contact details on Monday. (I only have her personal details). The oil is the best I have tasted and I've tried a lot!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just remember there is no such thing as too much olive oil :)
evoo-mediterranean-salad.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes she does sell. I can get her business contact details on Monday. (I only have her personal details). The oil is the best I have tasted and I've tried a lot!!
That would be great, many thanks, Hj

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi HJ

Have uploaded photos of bottles and have permission to give email address out to people. So will pm you the details.
Alex is lovely. She has a 2 acre estate of olives in greece that are hand picked and hand shaken and the olive oil shas the lowest acidity of around 0.2%.
She doesn't currently have a website as she normally sells to friends and family and gives me bottles for dogsitting.
If you want to email her to find out costs etc she has told me I can give details to any person that wishes to try the 'best' as she (and I) both say.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430129162.072426.jpg
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1430129201.186214.jpg

There is a website called justoil but its rapeseed etc, nothing to do with this oil which is **** good and not in supermarkets...

Will PM you details..if you let me know if you do email, I will tell Alex to look out for your email incase it goes to her junk box...
Sx

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
you could even divide by 7 if you want to...LOL

at a guess it's not enough fats, mediterranean has olive oil drizzled over the top and would pool on the plate :)
"Also be sure to have some fresh bread on hand to soak up the remaining oil at the bottom of the bowl"
http://blog.oliveoillovers.com/traditional-greek-salad-horiatiki/
Greek-Salad-image.jpg

Just done tonights meal of M&S cod fillet and salad. It works out to be:

89g fat of which saturated is 13g. Poly/mon is 21g
Protein is 44g
Carbs for this due to the fish I guess and 2 sq lidl 81% is 71g!! I don't measure milk in my coffee so guestimated 2 cups of milk a day. 15g for fish is about right.
Had salmon last night so would have had 15g difference.

Works out for today as 63% fat, 23% carbs, protein 14%. Guess I need more protein?
Does say I'm 600 calories too little with my gardening I'm doing today. So more calories too. Hard when I just have no hunger at all.

So wondering whether just to double up on the salad qty of avocado, olives etc.

Yesterday had the same salad and food qty as today but with salmon. Worked 2 hours longer and yet put 2lb on this morning. So was that because my body was thinking its in starvation?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@donnellysdogs yes, you will lose weight on that, more fat and protein, I'd take protein to 20% till the weight is back on and of course more fats for energy. a bulletproof coffee with breakfast is another 200 cal..1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp coconut oil

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just got my vit D levels!! They are 142. Over 50 is apparently ok. This is with being out in the weather for at least 6 hrs. Each day and also taking to ultra strength vit D3 tablets. Think I can cut the tablets to one a day. No maximum target listed.