Newly diagnosed. Yoghurts?

jod71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people
I'm recently diagnosed and am to say the least a bit confused by what type of yoghurts are good to eat ( if any at all ) . Is it better to look for the ones with a lower carbohydrate ( of which sugars ) amount, and what's a good amount? or ones with less added sugars and sweeteners? Any help will be much appreciated.

Daks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Jod71, welcome to the forum, you have come to the right place for great advice.

It would be best to go for natural or Greek full fat yoghurt, full fat versions tend to be lower in carbohydrate than low fat produce. Forget the "of which sugars" part and look at the total carbohydrate content, this is true of any foods you're looking at.

As a diabetic you should be looking to reduce carbohydrates while taking more good fat on board to power your engine.

I can see you're new so I'll tag @daisy1 who will pass by at some point with some good information for you to consider.

Stick around, read heaps and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Daks
:)

Reactions: 8 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I won't touch low fat yoghurts or yoghurts with anything in them at all.
I buy full fat live and make my own too and then flavour them myself.
Some of those small single serving pots have the equivalent of four teaspoons of sugar in them and can do some serious damage to your readings .... and you.
I can sweeten to that strength of sweetness with a quarter teaspoon of honey and then add nuts berries etc.

Reactions: 7 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@jod71

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Some good information on yoghurts above. I also eat Greek full fat yoghurts for breakfast sprinkled with cinnamon. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find this helpful. Ask more questions if you need to and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Lidl do a yogurt that is creamy and delicious and has around 4g of carbs per 100g, the brand name is Milbona.

Reactions: 2 people

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't touch low fat yoghurts or yoghurts with anything in them at all.
I buy full fat live and make my own too and then flavour them myself.
Some of those small single serving pots have the equivalent of four teaspoons of sugar in them and can do some serious damage to your readings .... and you.
I can sweeten to that strength of sweetness with a quarter teaspoon of honey and then add nuts berries etc.

I saw some 'make your own yoghurt' stuff in H&B the other day

I'm looking at making my own yoghurt in the near future - is it easy :)

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I saw some 'make your own yoghurt' stuff in H&B the other day

I'm looking at making my own yoghurt in the near future - is it easy :)
Very easy.
I have no special equipment.

Boil full fat milk.
Just bring it to the boil is all.
Cool it down to warm to the touch or use thermometer to be happy it's around a 100F or 37C and you don't have to be anywhere near accurate.
Warm to the touch is fine.
Stir in slowly a spoonful of live full fat yoghurt.
Put in an airtight container leaving half inch gap at the top.
Bung in airing cupboard till tomorrow and you have yoghurt.

So ... boil milk.
Cool milk down.
Stir in gently live yoghurt.
Put away in warm place.

Extra thick stir in a tablespoon of powdered milk.

Occasionally it will fail and that shows your live yoghurt bugs had died so your yoghurt was no longer live.
You can buy dried culture to do it but I haven't tried that yet.
Very nice stuff and you know where it's been.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
You're also eating it much fresher than shop bought which has been travelling and going through packaging storing etc.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Another thing .... if you're using live yoghurt as your seed then it should have been sat at room temperature for around four hours to make sure the bugs are up and about.

moonchip

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another thing .... if you're using live yoghurt as your seed then it should have been sat at room temperature for around four hours to make sure the bugs are up and about.

Thanks very much Jack - I'll give it a try :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have yogurts with low carb. I'm happy to have sweeteners added whereas some people won't touch sweeteners; your choice. I have Irish Diet fruit yogurts. Most of their carbs come from the added fruits.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Yeah I use sweeteners sometimes.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actimel & Flora do probiotic yoghurts, about 3.3grams per 100. I think the Flora is about 4.5grams per 100.

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i know we need to watch the carbs in yoghurts but what about the sugar content? thought this was just as bad? ive spent hours in asda reading little pots and they all seem to be high in sugar even the ones mentioned above? i am so confused

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
i know we need to watch the carbs in yoghurts but what about the sugar content? thought this was just as bad? ive spent hours in asda reading little pots and they all seem to be high in sugar even the ones mentioned above? i am so confused
Sugar is carb .... high octane turbo charged on steroids carb.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Carbs turn to glucose (sugar) inside of you.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actimel do two types, the 'normal' which is high in carbs/sugar 12grams, but the Actimel Fat Free which has the least amount of carbs/sugar.

vinylandtrinkets

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thank you so much both, ive just found a list of do eat and dont eat on here and this is another one i can add to the list to try. thank you once again

Reactions: 5 people

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'vr just bought some of the Skyr icelandic yoghurt to try that's about 3.8g per 100g - I'll let you know what it's like. For convenant single portion pre-flavoured pot I like the Weight watchers Fromage frais with berry they're about 5.9g per 100, and the Greek style with cocnut is quite low too.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jod71 I'm just doing my online shop at Tesco. They are showing Coyo Yoghurt - Coconut Flavour & Coconut & Vanilla Flavour 0.5g Carbs per 100g (pot is 125grams). They also do a coconut & Raw Chocolate Flavour, that is 3.9 per 100 grams though. They all are lactose free, soya free, gluten free & Kosher. They are £1.99 per pot though