Fight the spike vs avoid spikey food

ono

I am a T1 since 3yrs.
I read on the forum often people talking about how a certain food spike their blood sugar so they decide to avoid it.
I thought spikes were avoided by timing the bolus correctly and with the right ratio, aren't they? Or do some foods spike BG more than their theoretical carb payload?

I seem to be alone in thinking that high GI food can be better than Low GI for control, because you can time the spike with the bonus delivery, as opposed to low GI where the rise, albeit not sharp, will come much later when insulin has worn off?

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Reactions: 4 people

Kaitlynn_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me a spike would be 300+ when my bg is in range than it gets higher than usual... most of the time it's a miscalculation with my carbs but it's very annoying

Reactions: 2 people

ono

But would you rather avoid some "spikey" food instead of changing the bolus time or carb ratio?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm going to jump in here. T1 treatment of spikes and hypos is different as you use your insulin to correct and regulate the blood glucose levels.
Us non T1s, would rather stay away from spikes, to be in control of our blood glucose levels.
The low carb diet lifestyle is designed to lower your average hba1c and lower your levels so you feel healthier. Meds help you if you need them.

So it is yes to your question. I stay away from spikes foods.

I gather T1s should do likewise.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I define a spike as a post meal blood sugar [1.5-2 hours] BG of more than 2.5mmol above the pre meal BG..............:)

ono

I'm going to jump in here. T1 treatment of spikes and hypos is different as you use your insulin to correct and regulate the blood glucose levels.
Us non T1s, would rather stay away from spikes, to be in control of our blood glucose levels.
The low carb diet lifestyle is designed to lower your average hba1c and lower your levels so you feel healthier. Meds help you if you need them.

So it is yes to your question. I stay away from spikes foods.

I gather T1s should do likewise.

Absolutely, T2 is a different ball game, I'd definitely avoid if I was t2

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't deprive myself of any foods on principle (although I do sometimes limit the amount I eat or time when I eat it).

So, yes, I control the spike rather than avoid foods. I do this by counting carbs carefully, timing my bolus, maybe being extra-active after the meal, testing after eating and taking that result on board so I can perfect my insulin dose and timing for when I eat that food again. Eg yesterday I had a Millionaires Shortbread and my blood sugar afterwards was 4.7.

I have Type 1. And I do think it's important that people, if necessary, specify what kind of diabetes they have as that might affect their diet. Ideally, I wish this forum had some way of putting that as part of a person's avatar so it coukdnt be missed. Recently, there have been a number of new members who've got the idea that everyone HAS to eat low carb when actually the posts they're reading are from people with Type 2. Or new members have read that "most people" low carb when, in reality, it may have been more accurate to say "most people with Type 2".

Sorry - that was a long aside, but it has been niggling at me. I have absolutely nothing against LCHF for anyone, but I think people should be able to decide what's best for them as an individual by knowing all the facts and knowing there are alternatives.

Reactions: 12 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't deprive myself of any foods on principle (although I do sometimes limit the amount I eat or time when I eat it).

So, yes, I control the spike rather than avoid foods. I do this by counting carbs carefully, timing my bolus, maybe being extra-active after the meal, testing after eating and taking that result on board so I can perfect my insulin dose and timing for when I eat that food again. Eg yesterday I had a Millionaires Shortbread and my blood sugar afterwards was 4.7.

I have Type 1. And I do think it's important that people, if necessary, specify what kind of diabetes they have as that might affect their diet. Ideally, I wish this forum had some way of putting that as part of a person's avatar so it coukdnt be missed. Recently, there have been a number of new members who've got the idea that everyone HAS to eat low carb when actually the posts they're reading are from people with Type 2. Or new members have read that "most people" low carb when, in reality, it may have been more accurate to say "most people with Type 2".

Sorry - that was a long aside, but it has been niggling at me. I have absolutely nothing against LCHF for anyone, but I think people should be able to decide what's best for them as an individual by knowing all the facts and knowing there are alternatives.

Many people do add what variant of diabetes they have in their signature, which I think is probably the best way to do this, given that there ARE so many variations and possible other health conditions that can impact as well ;)

There are also a number of Type 1's who do low carb , myself included, because they find it helps manageability , so low carb dietry advice can be equally applicable to Type 1 or Type 2. I can't really agree with a few of the points you have made , but do agree that everyone should be able to decide for themselves which is the way forward to manage their condition and obtain the best possible outcome, and believe there is more or less a balance in the posts on here, rather than an emphasis on low/er carb or eating what you want and bolus for it.

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

ono

I thought this was the T1 part of the forum, or so it says at the top, although I agree it's helpful to add some of this info to the signature.
I have tried low carbing briefly but end up going hungry all day : ( plus run out of ideas for meals and can't force my family to low carb with me , so... Limited success

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes it is Type 1 that you have posted in. Very sweet things spike me, I have tried them again and again, tried the Cadbury's creme egg just after Easter and it was a disaster, BS went so high. So tbh I would rather just stick to my 9 bars, or a tiny amount of something not as sweet, same with Christmas with some sweets and Bailey's ( after lunch or dinner, I don't snack, or low carb, but have reduced carbs, my body doesn't seem to cope well with them. at all. So why bother, it's annoying and frustrating, it's not the end of the world. though.

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 5 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think everybody - and every body - is different. We all have to find a way of dealing with diabetes that suits us physically and emotionally. There's no one magic answer for everyone sadly.

The hope is that we can all find a way of dealing with this tiresome condition and getting on with our lives.

P.S - RRB, you didn't miss anything by not being able to eat lots of Creme Eggs. They used to be one of my favourite treats, but the new recipe is horrible, in my opinion : ( I actually threw half of my egg away. I've never done that before.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought this was the T1 part of the forum, or so it says at the top, although I agree it's helpful to add some of this info to the signature.

No you've posted it in the right section so don't worry, putting what type of diabetes you have in your signature is optional and there's no rules to say that everyone has to do this.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as a quick off topic note (and it might just be my stupid iPhone) but I do not see people's signatures under their posts when using the mobile app

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You can't see signatures when using the apps on a mobile or tablet.

Ref T1 spikes and added in topic of lower carbing.

From my point of view. I lower carb. T1 because it gives less room for error. Errors generally either cause spikes or hypo's.
I only bolus to eat minimal carbs. I don't want to eat carbs and have to bolus if you see what I mean. Less carbs,less bolus, less errors.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just as a quick off topic note (and it might just be my stupid iPhone) but I do not see people's signatures under their posts when using the mobile app

Hi Mrs B :) I will message you x