Bit of a breakdown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Trixy

The thing is on injections you can have a blow out if wanted at any time..

You are slimso why are you restricting your foods to give yourself angst?

You have a lifetime ahead of you and you and the whole point about being T1 is we should be able to eat the same as non diabetics if we wish to.

I'm T1 30+ years. Cried self to sleep every night for 6 weeks thinking s**t. I can't eat the same as others... Well, yes you can pretty much.

I have always been a lower carber, size 8/10 all my life. That is my choice, from the way I was brought up as a kid. HOWEVER, if I want a meal out or a takeway I have it.

Example, I rarely eat breakfast. I went out with hubby Monday and had a bacon and brie panini.. I don't normally eat bread...but it didn't kill me for doing so... I didn't feel different to hubby etc.

Food... You have to find the best lifestyle of foods for a long term basis that doesn't make you feel angst. That you can enjoy food but keeping the bloods normalised....
It may be that you just have smaller portions etc of pasta if you want it and you get good bloods and stay a good bmi-why not???

Its all about balance. It is very early days for you. None of us T1's are angels!!believe me.

Great post dd, as someone recently said, on another thread, we are not robots :rolleyes:

Take care RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys! I'm really annoyed with myself. I think I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist and this stupid unpredictable condition just makes that hard. It sounds wrong but it's almost like the novelty has worn off and reality is setting in! Some great advise there @AndyS and I will take it all on board and pick myself back up and get back on track one small step at a time.

I totally identify with the 'perfectionist' bit of that! : D

But for me perfection is trying to keep my sugars in range. That's the be-all and end-all of diabetes on a basic level.

I don't understand why you beat yourself up about having an ice cream : ( It's a perfectly normal thing to do. I usually have an ice cream with my children when I go to the beach. I bolus and test my blood sugar afterwards to make sure I calculated the carbs right, and I'm fine. I also eat pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, crisps, croissants, etc, etc. I weigh my pasta so that I can get the carbs right, and I have so many tablespoons of rice, etc. It's easy. I also have rich desserts on occasion. For example, when I have friends over. I bolus, check and I'm ok.

I just eat as I would have done if I hadn't got diabetes. I try to eat healthily, but I don't punish myself for developing a condition that's not my fault. My attitude towards food is the same as it's always been - try to eat healthily but don't be obsessed.

I'm slim and my sugars are very good. So find what works for you, both physically and emotionally, and cut yourself some slack. You're doing really well, so remember that. And have that ice cream, if you want! : D

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I totally identify with the 'perfectionist' bit of that! : D

But for me perfection is trying to keep my sugars in range. That's the be-all and end-all of diabetes on a basic level.

I don't understand why you beat yourself up about having an ice cream : ( It's a perfectly normal thing to do. I usually have an ice cream with my children when I go to the beach. I bolus and test my blood sugar afterwards to make sure I calculated the carbs right, and I'm fine. I also eat pasta, rice, noodles, potatoes, crisps, croissants, etc, etc. I weigh my pasta so that I can get the carbs right, and I have so many tablespoons of rice, etc. It's easy. I also have rich desserts on occasion. For example, when I have friends over. I bolus, check and I'm ok.

I just eat as I would have done if I hadn't got diabetes. I try to eat healthily, but I don't punish myself for developing a condition that's not my fault. My attitude towards food is the same as it's always been - try to eat healthily but don't be obsessed.

I'm slim and my sugars are very good. So find what works for you, both physically and emotionally, and cut yourself some slack. You're doing really well, so remember that. And have that ice cream, if you want! : D

Totally agree...cutting slack is very important...and agree with RRB we are nit robots.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome, Trixie :)
There have been so many brilliant posts so far, and I really can't better them :)
It sounds to me that you are doing so well, and being sensible and level headed about the whole diagnosis, which really was such a short time ago . I don't think it was the ice scream per se, but the sheer enormity of dealing with it all and how much life has changed for you. I think we all have moments when it all seems too much, no matter how short or long since diagnosis :banghead:

I think in your case as you are not overweight, the emphasis should be on keeping your BG numbers within range. Low carb will help you do this, but exactly how much carb differs so very much from person to person, and it's a case of finding the balance for yourself, using your meter. IF your weight starts to climb and it bothers you, then have a rethink * at that point *

Some people can't cope with one thing, but can with another. For example, I can't have an acceptable BG number or control if I eat either prescription or off the shelf gluten free bread, but can tolerate that which I make myself . It's all about experimentation and a mental shrug if something doesn't work :rolleyes: Which it won't do. Because not only is it about calculations, it's about factor X that gives us results we don't expect and hve no clue why :rolleyes: and would go nuts if we let it bother us all of the time ;)

As to your lad wanting what is on your plate, I don't know if this is helpful, but I used to get this a lot when babysitting my nephews and nieces when they were wee. I used to put a little of whatever they were having on my plate ,and not eat it , but allow the pinching ;) it also worked the other way round too, foods that they wouldn't want if it was on their plate became highly desirable when it only belonged to Aunty Signy :D

Signy

G

gemma6549

I fancied a change today so had:

2 slices of cheese on toast
Large slice of salted caramel cheesecake
Some Cadbury chocolate fingers
Chocolate peanut m & m's

Might even top it off with chip shop for dinner.

So you're not alone.
Do I feel bad? No, feel quite full though :)

Reactions: 13 people

Trixy83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! I've been so much more positive the last few days. Basically started again. For one meal a day I've introduced something I gave up, example cereal for breakfast, and checked my blood after and hour and 2 and I've found that some spike me quite high (the cereal sent me from 6.4 to 19.6 after 2 hours but 4 hours later I was back to 6.7) so I've just put that one the it doesn't work like. I've actually found as long as I bolus I can handle chocolate no bother so that's a huge bonus for me. I don't have to give it up. I'm just going to carry on trying different foods and if it doesn't work then at least I tried. For me it's better than just cutting everything out without trying.

Reactions: 6 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you like cereal and want to eat it, you may need to try a few times with different approaches. Cereal used to put my blood sugar right up, but then I made some adjustments and can now eat it every day if I choose, with no big spike. Unfortunately, lots of managing diabetes is fiddling about to find what suits you.

- You can try a different cereal eg granola mixed with All Bran (higher fat in the granola, fibre in the AllBran)

- You can also try having your bolus earlier to give it a chance to start working and catch any spike. When to have it would be something you'd have to experiment with - may be 15 minutes, 25, 40 ( just increase the interval gradually until you see what works)

- You can have more insulin. I've found that my insulin to carb ratio is different for certain foods. So, I increase it gradually, keep testing and then find the right dose for cereal. I can then have that every time I eat cereal and have no problems.

(I always weigh my cereal too so that I have a regular amount each time rather than measuring by eye - much better results that way)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ref weighing cereal.. Tesco and waitrose both do nifty gadgets for size portions nowadays.
Last year I bought one for neighbours as they thought a portion of cereal was a bowl of cereal..
So once you pour your cereal into the 1 portion measure and weigh it, you never have to weigh it again for that cereal as you will just get your 1 portion scoop out and automatically know the weight and how much to bolus for. They do measures for nuts, pasta, cereal and cheese.
Just less weighing hassle..