average carbs

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know we are all different but is there an average daily carb amount for your average joe who doesnt want to lose weight but still keep good blood levels?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your blood sugar levels will be highly dependant on your diabetes type, progression and meds. Reducing the carbs but having enough protein and fat won't make you go below a sensible BMI level but will help bs, so my suggestion would be to certainly stay below 200gm/day and probably a lot less. You meter will help you.

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the thing is Daibell , im eating plenty protein and fats till i feel full but still losing weight

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you consider your weight to be normal. Most people seem to find that although they initally lose weight on a LCHF diet this slows as they reach a sensible weight. This assumes they are really a T2 and not a mis-diagnosed T1 with high blood sugar as I was. What was your last HBA1C?

numan43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HBA1C was 85 in early march...I am now off glyclazide from taking 320mg daily and my bloods are pretty steady between 5 and 6

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with on wanting to stop losing weight.. I did plateau off in the autumn, less exercise, stop testing and weight stabilised at 75 kg, which as I am 1.8m tall okay.
Spring comes, more walks, started testing (numbers okay).... weight down to 72kg and not so keen with this.
BG are lower, which is good but my carbs are always less than 50 g a day more often way lower...
I going high fat / calorie route at the moment, avocado central and loads of olive oil is me... and weigh myself on Monday, every two weeks... so time will tell if it is working...
I is aT2 with no meds, I'm sorry I'm not sure I know much about T1s.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
HBA1C was 85 in early march...I am now off glycazide from taking 320mg daily and my bloods are pretty steady between 5 and 6

But is your weight the lower end on the BMI scale?
Your bg's are now good but getting balance with eating is important.
I eat pretty much the same.. Since stopping dairy and adding in the avocado's, olives etc my weight has fell off me. My carbs are eange between 12-50g a day. I do not want to lose weight I need to put some on so now I'm going back to MFP and trying to find out my daily fats, proteins etc to see what improvements I can make.
However, everything we eat or drink is individual. What works for some doesn't work for others.
You cannot go on "joe bloggs" average carbs or fats etc as are bodies are totally individual.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
how much carb is important that you don't pass your BG threshold
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

my guess is you aren't having enough fat's in your diet, to maintain a weight on a very low carb diet, you can have upto 70% of your energy coming from fats
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
upload_2015-4-26_1-41-2.png

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we all need to work out what level of carbs suits us by experimenting. I thought I was doing well on average 60g per day with pretty good readings except for the fasting level which was always high. Now I'm trying under average 30g with 2 meals a day/compressed eating window and my fasting levels are coming down. Now I'm kicking myself I tried the slow reduction method instead of starting low and then titrating up to see what effect there was.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how much carb is important that you don't pass your BG threshold
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm

my guess is you aren't having enough fat's in your diet, to maintain a weight on a very low carb diet, you can have upto 70% of your energy coming from fats
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KYYnEAYCGk
View attachment 13260
Jack, thanks for posting this as I'm still trying to get my head round fat utilisation....