How Long The Wait For Podiatry?

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Just wondering how long people waited for their first Podiatry appointment.
I was diagnosed type 2 last year 25th May and when the DN checked my feet there wasn't any problem. I saw her again in September and she noted a slight loss of sensitivity and made a referal, I heard nothing! I began having problems ie: pain, really bad cramps, especially at night and sharp pain in my calf. Another appointment and she rang Podiatry who said they did not have my referral still no appt so I saw my GP who said I have developed hammer toes and to wait for an appointment. I finally got a letter today to attend Monday afternoon, it has taken eleven months for my first visit is this the norm or have I just been unlucky?
A lot can change in almost a year and I feel cross that I have obviously got a foot problem and they don' t appear to care, walking is so painful

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That wait is unacceptable, ask the Podiatrist on Monday if you can be seen on a regular basis.

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh man ! :eek: An eleven month wait ??

Something obviously got missed in the system! I'm sorry to hear you have been waiting for so long and suffering in the meantime :( It may sound like a minor issue , but it isn't and is hell to live with :mad:

Now you are in the system and are actually seeing the Podiatrist tomorrow, you should be getting regular reviews. I do hope that you are able to get some relief from the pain now:(

Signy

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I've never seen a podiatrist Since being diabetic I have a yearly check up and have the pulses and sensations in my feet checked then but that's it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Just wondering how long people waited for their first Podiatry appointment.
I was diagnosed type 2 last year 25th May and when the DN checked my feet there wasn't any problem. I saw her again in September and she noted a slight loss of sensitivity and made a referal, I heard nothing! I began having problems ie: pain, really bad cramps, especially at night and sharp pain in my calf. Another appointment and she rang Podiatry who said they did not have my referral still no appt so I saw my GP who said I have developed hammer toes and to wait for an appointment. I finally got a letter today to attend Monday afternoon, it has taken eleven months for my first visit is this the norm or have I just been unlucky?
A lot can change in almost a year and I feel cross that I have obviously got a foot problem and they don' t appear to care, walking is so painful

Hi poohtiggy, that really is unacceptable and please let them know when you see them, this type of thing should not be happening.
Good luck for Monday afternoon, take care RRB x

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Same here Sarah i've never seen a podiatrist in 40 years of type i just a pulse and sensation check once a year, Is this not the norm?

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I think it is the norm. You're only referred to a podiatrist if problems are detected.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In Fife you to self refer... took me some time to figure this out....

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I think it is the norm. You're only referred to a podiatrist if problems are detected.
My point was that I developed a problem in September 2014 and it has taken this long to get an appointment and I find that unacceptable when I have so much pain and bent toes.
My appointment tomorrow is only for triage so will be waiting again to see the podiatrist, meanwhile my feet are getting worse and I'm finding it difficult to get shoes on, you would think in these circumstances things would move a little faster.

RRBthanks I will let you know tomorrow
In Fife you to self refer... took me some time to figure this out....
Yes I believe some areas can but not where I live so just have to wait and wait and wait ha ha

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Hi Poohtiggy, I was actually answering Jaywak's question. I think your treatment has been dreadful.

Reactions: 3 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I think by now both me and my wife would have been giving my G P a right ear bending ,
He should have chased this up months ago . Hope you get sorted and fast , looks like someone isn't doing there job :bored:

Reactions: 3 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I believe some areas can but not where I live so just have to wait and wait and wait ha ha[/QUOTE]

I didn't actually think of it as a good thing as it was nearly a year after diagnosis that I asked, when I was going to get my feet checked, to be told, self-refer.... but when I did, it was as quick as I wanted and she was really really good.

@poohtiggy I wish you well and hope it gets sorted.

Hj

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Yes it does sound like a very bad service! I'me lucky where I live and visit the Elsie Bertram diabetes clinic once a year that they still give a good service. not as good as it used to be but the amount of patients they have to see must have easily doubled over the years.

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't believe it:mad: I just had a call from podiatry about my appointment later today.....CANCELLED!!!
The podiatrist has called in sick so now have to wait until next Tuesday.:bigtears:
They could have seen me on Monday but I have another appointment elsewhere so cannot be helped

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't believe it:mad: I just had a call from podiatry about my appointment later today.....CANCELLED!!!
The podiatrist has called in sick so now have to wait until next Tuesday.:bigtears:
They could have seen me on Monday but I have another appointment elsewhere so cannot be helped
Really sorry to hear that, just what you don't need....
Hj