Potassium and Bananas

joules

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Autoimmune issues
I have been using the gym every other day since November '14 and am an addict now. My control is so much tighter apart from a half hr after cardio, where i have to eat loads of carbs - usually glucose sweets. I often end up having to eat a whole packet, which is crazy and makes my stomach not feel so good, so.... recently found that getting the sugar from bananas is better as i was told that it triggers the liver to give the sugar to the blood, thanks to the potassium in them. Body works much better this way!

Any thoughts on this as it's new to me? :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been using the gym every other day since November '14 and am an addict now. My control is so much tighter apart from a half hr after cardio, where i have to eat loads of carbs - usually glucose sweets. I often end up having to eat a whole packet, which is crazy and makes my stomach not feel so good, so.... recently found that getting the sugar from bananas is better as i was told that it triggers the liver to give the sugar to the blood, thanks to the potassium in them. Body works much better this way!

Any thoughts on this as it's new to me? :)
I know nothing about the science but I always prefer bananas to glucose/dextrose tabs whether for exercise or hypos. I don't care that the sugar absorption is supposed to be slower, they've always worked for me! Maybe now I know why!

Reactions: 2 people