Pump

Copester1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I have diabetes type 1 and I'm on nova rapid and lantus insulin everyday. I was wondering, is the pump any good?

Thanks

Jaynez

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im currently on lantus and novorapid too and also thinking about going on a pump

HaroldC

Pumps are great if you don't mind tinkering ALOT more. They won't control things on their own, they won't adapt, they don't look pretty and they have their own safety issues. BUT if you're fed up with stabbing yourself, if you don't mind MANY more correction doses and quite a few more blood tests, they're REALLY easy to get insulin inside yourself. I mean INCREDIBLY easy. Just fish out a controller and tell it to give you more insulin. Faster than sending a text smiley.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pumps are great if you don't mind tinkering ALOT more. They won't control things on their own, they won't adapt, they don't look pretty and they have their own safety issues. BUT if you're fed up with stabbing yourself, if you don't mind MANY more correction doses and quite a few more blood tests, they're REALLY easy to get insulin inside yourself. I mean INCREDIBLY easy. Just fish out a controller and tell it to give you more insulin. Faster than sending a text smiley.
Given the amount of tinkering I do with MDI, a pump would be little different.

Victorri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started on my pump and I know I have a lot of tinkering to do yet but I actually find it easier than MDI. I don't test any more than I did and so far things have been pretty stable had a few blips but that's expected. I know this may sound weird but I almost don't feel like a diabetic because I don't have to get my pen out, dial up, lift my top and inject. Now I just get the handset tell it what it needs and off I go

Reactions: 4 people

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Right here's my take on it,please understand this is only my opinion.last week I started a pump trial,after a saline start the previous week,Monday-Wednesday it's was ok,my results were a little high plus had to do a few waking nights too check the basal rates,thursday it all went wrong,after tea my blood was 23 and I was producing ketones(not good as we all know)so I went through the process of taking 10% of my daily dose with a pen,changing the sets and stuff,checking every hour and a half,this went on from 8 in the evening to 5.30 the next morning where I had eventually hit 16,I made the decision at around 2.30 in the morning that the pump was not for me,personally I felt it was more too worry about,seeing as if you are going anywhere for any length of time you have to take a bag with you,containing batteries,fresh sets,short acting carbs,insulin,blood/ketones meter and also a short acting insulin pen??? Where as now all I need are a couple of pens and a blood meter,plus having this thing attached too you 24 hrs a day felt like a constant reminder of my condition,where as with pens you can at least forget your diabetic till the next injection.like I said at the start this is only my opinion,I feel that everything is geared towards pro pump and rarely hear the other side of the argument.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all I have been in two different pumps. I'd like to start by saying it really gave me a sense of my life back, I feel more in control, more flexibility, less holes in my body and my reading went from hbc1a of 12(I think the h bit right) to 7.5 in one month. It also gives you more flexibility with food. Downsides there is a lot to workout but the nurses will help you with that plus you need to teach other around you. A pump although great is still technology so don't come solely dependant on it. What I mean is know how much basal your pimp gives you so if you feel something moghtbe up with the pump you have a back up it rarely happens but it's worth being mindful of. Also within the Nh s budget or your self funding think of what you want the pump to do for you. For example a pump that is wireless can be beneficial for sport if you do more physical work like a builder as it will just be on your body and thee havoc part stays on your bag. To see what I mean Google my life omipod. Would you prefer on that contains wires down side is wire can get caught on things I was flung bAck many times as I couldn't tuck the wire in because it didn't deliver insulin if not straight on my pump but this pump was an early developed pump and some improvements have happened I believe. This type of pump can for some feel heavy to wear so accessories or a good seqing person is needed. Do check out if it's water proof to and what you do when you sleep. It sound little things but if it's not checked out for your own lifestyle before it can come a problem. Also there are several brands Medtronic was the first in the UK I believe, my life that the pump is your blood glucose monitor to, freestyle, Amis and quite a few more I believe. In the n h s there are requirements you need to meet to qualify for a pump to. Things like 4 or more injections a day. Privately you have to get written consent for most companies from your diabetic team basically saying they agree to help you manage. Slot of the companies to have 24 hour emergency lines and a helpline with qualified nurses who can really help. Hope this helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Right here's my take on it,please understand this is only my opinion.last week I started a pump trial,after a saline start the previous week,Monday-Wednesday it's was ok,my results were a little high plus had to do a few waking nights too check the basal rates,thursday it all went wrong,after tea my blood was 23 and I was producing ketones(not good as we all know)so I went through the process of taking 10% of my daily dose with a pen,changing the sets and stuff,checking every hour and a half,this went on from 8 in the evening to 5.30 the next morning where I had eventually hit 16,I made the decision at around 2.30 in the morning that the pump was not for me,personally I felt it was more too worry about,seeing as if you are going anywhere for any length of time you have to take a bag with you,containing batteries,fresh sets,short acting carbs,insulin,blood/ketones meter and also a short acting insulin pen??? Where as now all I need are a couple of pens and a blood meter,plus having this thing attached too you 24 hrs a day felt like a constant reminder of my condition,where as with pens you can at least forget your diabetic till the next injection.like I said at the start this is only my opinion,I feel that everything is geared towards pro pump and rarely hear the other side of the argument.

Didn't you say you were on saline for a week?

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes the week before I was on saline,I started with insulin the following Monday.

iHs

Well said.....Harold

I dont 'love' my pump but then I didnt hate my insulin pen either, only the 5mm needles which have now been superceded by 4mm.. A pump has made me stand to attention regarding insulin and bg levels but once Ive adjusted the settings ok, I can keep myself ok, until?.......lol

AnaSofia

I have lantus and NovoRapid wright now but i'm in the waiting list right now to get a pump. The pump it's much better and doctors said that your sugar level will be almost perfect with this little thing. I think so because i wish be a normal person without any other healthy problems, Diabetes is enough...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have lantus and NovoRapid wright now but i'm in the waiting list right now to get a pump. The pump it's much better and doctors said that your sugar level will be almost perfect with this little thing. I think so because i wish be a normal person without any other healthy problems, Diabetes is enough...
Did the Dr explain to you that you have to put the work in for the perfect numbers? The pump is only as good as the user :)

Reactions: 6 people

Lmason

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pump is great but takes some getting used to especially coping with something being attached to you 24 hrs a day

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You are a normal person ana,in my opinion the pump only serves as a constant reminder that you are diabetic,cause it's always there right by your side.where as now with pens you can forget till meal times about our condition.like I say this it only my opinion.:)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
You are a normal person ana,in my opinion the pump only serves as a constant reminder that you are diabetic,cause it's always there right by your side.where as now with pens you can forget till meal times about our condition.like I say this it only my opinion.:)
There speaks someone who has never tried a pump :)
After less than a couple of hours you just don't notice the pump. I actually had to check to make sure it was still attached.

Stevo500

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny that,I have an animas vibe sitting unattached in my bedroom,after having tried it for two week,I still never forgot it was there,I won't even go into the issues I had with the canulas coming off mid run and sort swimming,seeing as how you know so much about me,you already knew that huh.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Each to their own of their individual psychological responses to the pump and having diabetes

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think the tone needs to be toned down and being mindful springs to mind.

Last edited by a moderator: