ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
Hi

I have recently been put on Metformin after a review last week, apparently my "numbers" have gone from 61 last year to 87 this year, so I am spending some time trying to learn a little bit about what I will need to change as the surgery haven't really given me any direction!

So any help would be really gratefully received and very welcome.

I have absolutley no idea what I should be looking for.

If anyone can set me on the right path that would be brilliant

Thanks in advance

Bill

Reactions: 6 people

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
hello and welcome
do you have a meter and test?
if not, its worth buying one
the main thing is to cut out the sugars and drastically cut your carbs
we,re here for you

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Hi

I have recently been put on Metformin after a review last week, apparently my "numbers" have gone from 61 last year to 87 this year, so I am spending some time trying to learn a little bit about what I will need to change as the surgery haven't really given me any direction!

So any help would be really gratefully received and very welcome.

I have absolutley no idea what I should be looking for.

If anyone can set me on the right path that would be brilliant

Thanks in advance

Bill
You have found the best place, stick with it and read lots and you will soon understand what it's all about. Daisy 1 will be along soon with information for you, good luck

Reactions: 3 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi welcome to the site people will try to help if they can .
1st thing I'd say is don't panic the advice above is sound try to take on a bit more exercise if you can ,
Ask the doctor about the nearest diabetes clinic (mine runs one at the surgery) they may help with a meter and point you in the right direction
Good luck it ain't so bad , let us know how your getting on . JJ

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@ventra

Hello Bill and welcome to the forum :)

This is the information we give to new members and I hope that this will help you to know more about diabetes. Ask any questions you want and someone will come along and answer.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 140,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Bill- and welcome to this great, informative and supportive forum! Have a good read around, ask ad many questions as you need, it's the only way! I know that 10 months ago when I was diagnosed I was just left to my own devices with the questionable "nice" guidelines....In two days I was on here and have turned everything around, which I know I wouldn't have otherwise!!

ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
Thanks everyone, appreciate your kind words. I'll crack on and learn something new:). Being highly motivated by food, it's gonna be interesting to see what changes I need to be making!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum where you'll get lots of support and advice. Can I ask if you are taking statins and for how long?

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, it'll be ok! I bet you'll find things to eat that you like and are ok for your blood sugars levels.
All the best.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
Hi welcome to the forum where you'll get lots of support and advice. Can I ask if you are taking statins and for how long?
Hi Daphne, Yes I am on Statins, however I stopped taking them for a while. Mainly because I forgot! But about 3 years overall, why do you
ask?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My BS went up by at least 1.0% when I was on statins but came down once I stopped taking them.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You've had good advice so far on the right diet. Metformin is a very common and safe drug. It does help with blood sugar particularly if you have excess weight. It isn't a miracle cure but every little helps. If you aren't overweight and still fairly young do let us know as sometimes it can affect the diabetes type diagnosis

ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
Just got one of those BS tester thingys so will do some testing and learning! Is the DESMOND day of value? My GP hasn't given me any info or direction.

Deskdoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My experience - I got a place on a DESMOND course the week after I was diagnosed. When I came home I went through my cupboards, with all the zeal of the newly converted, and disposed of all things white (sugar, rice, pasta, bread etc) and bought all things brown (apart from the sugar), to replace the 'white' as recommended by the lovely NHS dietitian.

Then I found the people who REALLY know what they're talking about on these forums.
I went through my cupboards and disposed of all things 'brown' oh yes, and low fat. My daughter didn't need to shop for a month!!!

I'm on the right track now though, losing weight steadily on LCHF diet and BG getting better (around 7) So, the 'free NHS course' told me all about a 'balanced diet' which included carbs and low fat items (more sugars) and It cost me a fortune :D:D:D

Reactions: 4 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never been offered a place on the Desmond even though I did apply to go on ....mutter mutter :confused:

ventra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No Food
:banghead:I got in touch with my surgery about Desmond and apparently I was offered it 4 years ago when I was first "diagnosed". So the computer said no! Or at least the Hounds of Hades they call Reception did. So I rang the nearest centre and got an appointment to see a dietician although I am developing a low carb strategy. I'm amazed at the amount of info here and will be regularly dipping in and taking advantage of that. Might even put something together to give to my local surgery just so they know :-0

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
Might even put something together to give to my local surgery just so they know :-0

I bet they will LOVE that - unless you are really lucky and have a clued up GP/DNS

Welcome and good luck